Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The last URL, IMHO does not even come close to:

Salk SoundScape 10 Preview - YouTube

Maybe, Dennis will put up a quickie on YouTube knowing it is better than nothing out there a sound clip of the PHIL 3's!

Try that same song if you have it - from Memory Tapes, Wait in the Dark or something that you like. We will be waiting on DM.

In the interim I will be playing that SS10 audio over and over... something about that sound quality that is pleasing, but grabs me... just lovely, but only ADTG can afford those at $12K. :D

In the PHIL 3's is the ScanSpeak Revelator of the same quality as what they used in the Salk SoundScape 10's? Also, they used 1.5" wall thickness in the SoundScape 10's, and the PH3's use 0.75" MDF thick walls. Is that enough to handle the Knock Test sufficiently, and minimize any resonances occuring close to that of the natural frequency of the cabinet?

Did the internal bracing of the PH3's make up the difference for stiffness, and facilitate passing the "Knock Test"?

Last edited by a moderator:
woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Den, you should hear it on the 'grandchildren' (or greatgrandchildren), the CAOW1s I have, sounds very, very good. Really can't believe it sounds that excellent with youtube! Just crystal clear, like they are here with a smaller sound.

And, soon, very soon the Philly IIIs will have their debut on youtube!

R

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Den, you should hear it on the 'grandchildren' (or greatgrandchildren), the CAOW1s I have, sounds very, very good. Really can't believe it sounds that excellent with youtube! Just crystal clear, like they are here with a smaller sound.

R
That song they played with the SS10's is excellent for hearing the Snare Drum, and higher freq's DING out, and then just stop super fast.

I believe it, and can NOT wait until the Philly III's make their DEBUT on YouTube -- I am sure it will get a TON OF HITS right away!!

Not putting down the KEF's but to me, in all the speakers I have listened to (ya, I know...) on YouTube, the Salk SoundScape 10's sounded the BEST BAR NONE. If you have a URL that is better than that SS10 link, please Post It.. OK? :D

As I am "ALL EARS" --

Dennis

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

R
Are you guys sure that's the SoundScapes playing? Does it say that? I'm having trouble imagining the owner making a high quality recording of sound coming out of a loudspeaker. That would take real skill and good equipment. I just assumed he downloaded a regular CD track.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Are you guys sure that's the SoundScapes playing? Does it say that? I'm having trouble imagining the owner making a high quality recording of sound coming out of a loudspeaker. That would take real skill and good equipment. I just assumed he downloaded a regular CD track.
Well, Dennis, that might be, dunno, but it appears the second sound of the recording the front woofer is moving to the music. I could be wrong. And, most of us already know the SS are incredible anyway, right??? ;)

Are you joking with us!!!? :confused:

Any news from C******a?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That song they played with the SS10's is excellent for hearing the Snare Drum, and higher freq's DING out, and then just stop super fast.

I believe it, and can NOT wait until the Philly III's make their DEBUT on YouTube -- I am sure it will get a TON OF HITS right away!!

Not putting down the KEF's but to me, in all the speakers I have listened to (ya, I know...) on YouTube, the Salk SoundScape 10's sounded the BEST BAR NONE. If you have a URL that is better than that SS10 link, please Post It.. OK? :D

As I am "ALL EARS" --

Dennis
After I figure how to use this tablet, and after I get the Phil3, I will try to figure out how to upload all my speakers on YouTube so denpuresound can audition them.:D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Ha ha, you two, it is a good thing there is a lotta love here for good audio!!!:p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
...like 40 posts later, am I really the only one who thinks that the transducer through which the youtube audition being done is 99.999% likely to be maniupulating the perceived sound quality of the soundscapes?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
...like 40 posts later, am I really the only one who thinks that the transducer through which the youtube audition being done is 99.999% likely to be maniupulating the perceived sound quality of the soundscapes?
I am totally sure it is not like being in a room (anechoic chamber or not) with the SoundScape 10's -- there are one heck of a lot of variables in a recording as we all know - but like woodsart stated the woofer looks to be in sync. w/ the audio, but who knows but only the one that did the recording. My gut says it is the speakers, but who knows what the source was (SACD, Napster/Rhaposdy - WMA at 128kbps, .MP3 at 320kbps, .flac lossless, or Vinyl 33.333).

I played that same track w/ Napster thru my 4311/EMO/Klipsch RF-82II setup, and it did not sound that good :(, guessing maybe 80% as good. Just did not touch the Ring Ding on High End, and the Snare Drum did not have that nice of SNAP to it.

Grant, what is the frequency of a properly tuned Snare Drum - does it sit in the mid-range or above 2800hz.?

But, my LOVELY Altec Lansing PC Speakers w/Sub are Phenomenal :)D) off the PC.

Assume, the PHIL III recording was that good or even better than the $12K SS10's, now that will surely catch some EARS, and certainly some Early Buyers !!:D:):eek:

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
The last URL, IMHO does not even come close to:

Salk SoundScape 10 Preview - YouTube

Maybe, Dennis will put up a quickie on YouTube knowing it is better than nothing out there a sound clip of the PHIL 3's!

Try that same song if you have it - from Memory Tapes, Wait in the Dark or something that you like. We will be waiting on DM.

In the interim I will be playing that SS10 audio over and over... something about that sound quality that is pleasing, but grabs me... just lovely, but only ADTG can afford those at $12K. :D
You're gauging sound quality based on a youtube video of a speaker playing? :confused:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
After I figure how to use this tablet, and after I get the Phil3, I will try to figure out how to upload all my speakers on YouTube so denpuresound can audition them.:D

ADTG --

Don't wait till then... you have for now all you need to get started - do Orions, Salons, and KEF's... you have all the equipment there. Maybe you don't want to make us Laugh -- Are you scared of Criticism? :):eek::D

You most likely will have the most HITS on YouTube and nice comments... I am just jealous, Laughing! :eek::rolleyes:

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
You realize that these youtube videos are all recorded with different (and crappy) equipment, into different formats of varying SQ, processed differently, compressed differently, uploaded to youtube and compressed differently again to very low bandwidth audio, downloaded to your PC, and then played via your junk computer speakers? Do you really think that this is a logical and effective method of comparing speakers?

Even if you got both speaker manufacturers uses all of the exact same electronics, with the exact same camera position, and play the exact same source media, any sort of comparison in this manner would be completely impossible and meaningless.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Actually no, I am basing this on what I have already heard in person, twice, and, to me it seems to have has the Salk Sound/DM signature. Yes, this is a youtube, but what ever they did, was very good. Nothing like this incredible speaker produces in the proper settings.

The poster does not mention audio assuming he means both video and audio in the production. But as I read further, he appears to be showing the world class finishes of Jim Salk !

To add, I have a pair of DM's designs with the sound signature ( I think) of these, a high def PC, highend DAC and tube amp!

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Ha ha, you two, it is a good thing there is a lotta love here for good audio!!!:p
We don't want all the love just for "good Audio" ---

We only want ADTG's beyond Ruler-Flat FR for "GREAT AUDIO", and lower than the crossover point of dimenishing returns in cost, not approaching infinity to squeeze out that last 0.5% improvement. :cool:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Actually no, I am basing this on what I have already heard in person, twice, and, to me it seems to have has the Salk Sound/DM signature. Yes, this is a youtube, but what ever they did, was very good. Nothing like this incredible speaker produces in the proper settings.

The poster does not mention audio assuming he means both video and audio in the production. But as I read further, he appears to be showing the world class finishes of Jim Salk !
There ya go, right on the mark. You KNOW that sound, no matter what all the variables are. I have Klipsch, and I know that sound and most all the a/v recordings out there to me, are not even close to that SS10 recording and that sound --

Hockey, is right and we know that is not a physical listening audition, but it might or might not be a lot better than JUST LOOKING AT THE SPECS, and Equations that created them. So it seems to me, after listening to literally hundreds of youtubers out there, mostly all junk like this one w/ Klipsch RF-7II's -- which I do NOT like, way to bright and all horn loading and not enough clarity in the mid-range either.

Klipsch RF-7 II - YouTube

Now, listen to: Salk SoundScape 10 Preview - YouTube

Then again, go out and Audition all the speakers in all the different rooms, then bring them home and listen to something totally different! :D:)

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
There ya go, right on the mark. You KNOW that sound, no matter what all the variables are. I have Klipsch, and I know that sound and most all the a/v recordings out there to me, are not even close to that SS10 recording and that sound --

Hockey, is right and we know that is not a physical listening audition, but it might or might not be a lot better than JUST LOOKING AT THE SPECS, and Equations that created them. So it seems to me, after listening to literally hundreds of youtubers out there, mostly all junk like this one w/ Klipsch RF-7II's -- which I do NOT like, way to bright and all horn loading.

Klipsch RF-7 II - YouTube

Then again, go out and Audition all the speakers in all the different rooms, then bring them home and listen to something totally different! :D:)
Or maybe those are the best speakers in the world and because they were recorded with a cheap video camera mic and then heavily compressed over the intertubes, all sorts of distortions were created and made you think that they sound bright. Personally, I don't hear brightness, I just hear mic distortion.

edit for your edit:

The music in this video is NOT being played by those speakers. That music is dubbed in. Of course, the second song is and it sounds awful. lol

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
OK. The second selection is a recording of the SS10's playing, and it does indeed sound awful. Not the speaker's fault, of course. The first cut is dubbed. But let's say it wasn't--and let's say the SS10 is a perfect loudspeaker and that the very finest recording equipment was being used, and nothing damaged the signal when it got posted and played back on the Tube. The sound quality couldn't possibly be better than the source material that was used. So what you hear should sound like what you would hear if you played that CD (or whatever it was) on your speakers. If you like what you hear, you like your speakers. This really isn't a valid way to audition speakers of any brand or quality. Plus, I'm still betting big bucks the first cut was dubbed anyhow.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
OK. The second selection is a recording of the SS10's playing, and it does indeed sound awful. Not the speaker's fault, of course. The first cut is dubbed. But let's say it wasn't--and let's say the SS10 is a perfect loudspeaker and that the very finest recording equipment was being used, and nothing damaged the signal when it got posted and played back on the Tube. The sound quality couldn't possibly be better than the source material that was used. So what you hear should sound like what you would hear if you played that CD (or whatever it was) on your speakers. If you like what you hear, you like your speakers. This really isn't a valid way to audition speakers of any brand or quality. Plus, I'm still betting big bucks the first cut was dubbed anyhow.
The first song was definitely dubbed.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Do you really think that this is a logical and effective method of comparing speakers?
My thoughts exactly!
This really isn't a valid way to audition speakers of any brand or quality.
Spot on! I am very surprised that you had to explain this!!!!

Using YouTube to audition speakers is like inferring that onecan get 100% of a sports event or an auto race's "feel" by seeing the video on a good AV system. Ain't happenin', you chasing fools gold :).

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The person that recorded it is from Canada, so they say. Let's see if he emails me back, as I asked the source, if we can believe him/her that both songs are from the SS10's.

My bet is only good for Craps on the 6/8, and not the hardways either, but I see the Accuton Mid moving for the first song... I think it is a real recording, so says my weak gut feeling. :):D

Maybe we will know soon, but maybe the source is like Casey Anthony - Lies, and just more Lies... maybe we will never know either!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis