Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

K

kainers

Audiophyte
Hope to hear some good reports from the new users. Heard official release was slated for March...prob April now. Would really like to get my hands on one of these soon.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
Man, is that ever the truth! Buying album all over again just so you can have a new format. But they do sound nice.
It's not so you can "have" a new format. It's so you can "experience" the format. sacd is way better. For those who don't agree all I can say is that my equipment (not at all top of the line) my room or my ears are just better then yours. Bring on the Oppo!

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Man, is that ever the truth! Buying album all over again just so you can have a new format. But they do sound nice.
I prefer to buy select multi-ch cd's that I really enjoy.(Floyd dsotm, Derek and Dominos, Porcupine tree, and a few others). There is no sense, imho, to try to replace much of one's collection but a few of your favorite on sacd or dvda is really a great enjoyment for me. Also, I have a few Dts cd's that are stellar. SD Gaucho on Dts is the best I have heard concerning that title and it was way under $20 new at azon.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
My post right above yours was that very quote from OPPO website. :)
Yeah, I know, only I was too lazy to look. Actually, I got to about the third page, and then just hit Reply. It was serendipity that my post landed next to yours. Or, if you're into Jung, synchronicity.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Tasty SACDs and DVD-As

There really is something about these disks that's immediately and apparently clearly better sounding than standard CD formats.

I have a stereo SACD of Los Lobos' Good Morning Azatlan, and I swear, you close your eyes, and the band is there. It's crazy how much your system disappears and leaves the performance.

There's a great collection of DVD-As if you're into the Talking Heads called Brick. It contains all eight of their studio recordings. Jerry Harrison re-mastered the tracks, and, for the most part, they did an exceptional job of spreading the band across the front three channels and getting mostly ambience in the rears. Harrison made an alternate take of Burning Down the House that really works out your surrounds, more like a club mix or something.

Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat is an incredible recording, and it comes with the CD and the DVD-A.

I even have this old re-mastered Sarah Vaughn recording that's killer.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Some disks I'll upgrade and replace (DSOTM, Talking Heads, Tommy, Ziggy Stardust). Other disks, well, most of them I still only have on vinyl or only on CD. Most of my new hi-rez material is simply new to my collection (although many disks come in multiple formats/ Talking Heads, for instance, come on dual discs, and the CD sides contain several additional tracks each. Donald Fagen, by contrast, included two separate disks, one with DVD-A, and the other being a standard CD.

I think the CD sides of DVD-As aren't necessarily Redbook compliant, though I've never had a problem playing one.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
It seems that there are several OPPO BDP-83 Threads chock full of comments from a few dedicated souls who want a lower MSRP for the BDP-83. I say God’s speed to them, but must every one of the BDP-83 threads contain these redundant “the price should be lower or I won’t buy it” posts? In any case, I am restricting any further BDP-83 impressions/comments to this thread.

I have been using the BDP-83 for about a month now and continue to be impressed with its performance with HT and music. I have run through my collection of SACD, DVD-A’s as well as many Redbook CD’s and the system has never sounded better.

My primary use is Std. DVD and Bluray movies and the load times are very fast and the 83’s menu can be overlaid on the paused content for quick changes and or adjustments. The 1080P up-scaling of DVD is the best I have seen and of course, Bluray audio and video are just about flawless. I currently bitstream all content via HDMI (DVD-A does require a switch to LPCM but that will be resolved in a future firmware upgrade) and the single device/cable to handle all of these sources is really nice.

OPPO has been great to work with and they are paying close attention to the Beta and EAP participant’s comments and findings. For me, this was a no-brainer as the BDP-83 has replaced a Pioneer Elite DVD and my Panny BD-30 BR players. I still have a Toshiba XA2 for my limited HD-DVD collection and will ride that wave to the beach.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
OPPO a Go

I updated the BDP-83 firmware via USB last night. Took all of 2 minutes and I was playing DVD-A (Lossless) via HDMI Bitstream. We have watched 5-6 Bluray and several DVD movies plus most of my collection of hi-bit CD’s and DVD’s. All are working well except one DTS Multichannel disk (Sting’s Brand New Day) and I think the problem is the disk. So DVD-A and SACD’s are working!
Since the OPPO is pulling movie and music duty, I have been running through all of my favorites. The two and multi channel performance is phenomenal.

We watched the YES Live at Montreux BR last night and even though I’m not a big fan of the band the sound was amazing. I am only using the HDMI connection (Bitstream) and really have no interest in adding the 8 cables for analog (even though I have the cables). My SSP decodes everything and does the BM and I like it that way.

In any case, the OPPO is doing everything I wanted it to do and it is fast. I think this player is ready for prime time and it is certainly more stable than my Toshiba XA2 or my Panasonic BD-30 were when I purchased them. OPPO seems committed to working out even the smallest issues and I think I have found a player that should last a few years.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I updated the BDP-83 firmware via USB last night. Took all of 2 minutes and I was playing DVD-A (Lossless) via HDMI Bitstream. We have watched 5-6 Bluray and several DVD movies plus most of my collection of hi-bit CD’s and DVD’s. All are working well except one DTS Multichannel disk (Sting’s Brand New Day) and I think the problem is the disk. So DVD-A and SACD’s are working!
Since the OPPO is pulling movie and music duty, I have been running through all of my favorites. The two and multi channel performance is phenomenal.

We watched the YES Live at Montreux BR last night and even though I’m not a big fan of the band the sound was amazing. I am only using the HDMI connection (Bitstream) and really have no interest in adding the 8 cables for analog (even though I have the cables). My SSP decodes everything and does the BM and I like it that way.

In any case, the OPPO is doing everything I wanted it to do and it is fast. I think this player is ready for prime time and it is certainly more stable than my Toshiba XA2 or my Panasonic BD-30 were when I purchased them. OPPO seems committed to working out even the smallest issues and I think I have found a player that should last a few years.
Do you have any discs that are a different region from region 1? If so, have you tried playing them in your player? Have you tried any hacks, like:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/oppo-dv-983h/9251

I am very interested in this new BD player from Oppo, but I need a player that can handle discs from other regions.

As for the people complaining about the prices of the last couple of players from Oppo (your BDP-83 and the DV-983H), I think people need to realize that the best isn't going to be free. For what they do, they are reasonably priced. The only players that compare in performance cost many times as much, so they are really a bargain as it is. If people want something really cheap, they can buy something else instead, and stop whining about this.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I have no media other than Region 1 so it's a non issue for me but I believe it is Region 1 only. Not sure about the hacks but there is a lot of information on the AVS BDP-83 EAP thread.

Do you have any discs that are a different region from region 1? If so, have you tried playing them in your player? Have you tried any hacks, like:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/oppo-dv-983h/9251

I am very interested in this new BD player from Oppo, but I need a player that can handle discs from other regions.

As for the people complaining about the prices of the last couple of players from Oppo (your BDP-83 and the DV-983H), I think people need to realize that the best isn't going to be free. For what they do, they are reasonably priced. The only players that compare in performance cost many times as much, so they are really a bargain as it is. If people want something really cheap, they can buy something else instead, and stop whining about this.

J

josko

Audioholic
Does anyone know when the BDP-83 will be available for sale to the general public?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I have no media other than Region 1 so it's a non issue for me but I believe it is Region 1 only. Not sure about the hacks but there is a lot of information on the AVS BDP-83 EAP thread.
At that thread I found:

The BDP-83 will support DVD Region 1 and Blu-ray Region A only. The Blu-ray Disc Association does not allow OPPO to support any region unlocking capabilities, even for DVD-Video playback.

As Blu-ray is a relatively new platform, OPPO wants to make sure they can sell Blu-ray players for many more years to come. They do not want to implement or excise any content control which could jeopardize their standing with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

These restrictions are non-negotiable. Do not discuss them in the forums.
That makes me very glad I purchased the DV-983H during the short time it was available. It is easy to make region free. I guess when I get a Blu-ray player, it will not be one that will replace my DVD player. So for me, the only question is whether it handles Blu-ray better than cheaper players, and if it is better, whether it is enough better to justify the cost difference.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the answer to my question.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I installed the latest firmware visa a USB thumb drive yesterday. Took all of 2 minutes to complete the process and this release resolved the one issue I had with some multichannel DTS CD’s skipping using HDMI via Bitstream. They appear to have most of the EAP user issues resolved and the voting ends tomorrow with a formal release in mid May almost assured.

OPPO chose a very unusual and risky method to test the BDP-83’s market readiness by allowing a large and random group of 350 Early Adoption Program users to experiment with and openly comment on pre production units. The huge AVS thread provided the main venue for general comments, identification of bugs and related discussion. IMO, the product has benefited greatly from that experience and OPPO has blazed a new trail for CE manufacturer in working with consumers to help bring product to market.

The BDP-83 is and has been for the last two months, my go to all in one player and it is definitely ready for release.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
One thing for sure, no other player regardless of price, has received so much scrutiny. If it adds up to even a more quality and capable player, who can argue with that?
Of course, this is not a process for those who 'want it now' would be comfortable with, but others will be very pleased with the end product, I'm sure.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like they are working the bugs out.
I've read some people still complaining of (Redbook) CD issues, skipping and/or repeating, and still with DVD-A problems.
Some are voting yes after the April 22nd update, even though they're still having problems.
Out of 350 Total Votes 116 are still pending. They need 70% Yes votes.

I can't believe the two items that my wife gave me permission to buy....I mean...that I'm ready to buy, whenever I choose...as man of the house....:D are both on hold. The BDP-83 and the new Emotive Pre/Pro.

Oh crap, I forgot to do the laundry.:eek: Gotta go.

majorloser

majorloser

I can't believe the two items that my wife gave me permission to buy....I mean...that I'm ready to buy, whenever I choose...as man of the house....:D are both on hold. The BDP-83 and the new Emotiva Pre/Pro.
Same here... :(

(I've got to get cooking dinner)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis