Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I never understood the analog m/c argument until I decided to take the dip into BR and bought the panny bd55. It was hooked up to my Denon 3805 and while I agree the sound was excellent, it didn't give my any comfort knowing this bypassed my receivers processing ability. Heck... even with a 15db boost the analog IMO didn't have the same impact as when I watched the same disc in digital.
Could be very true. I'm new to the Multi-channel input scene, so I don't have enough experience listening yet between the two. This could be the very reason that people switch over to the newer receivers.

Dale, what has your experience been with the Arcam and multichannel? Are you happy when you boost the bass by +10?

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Could be very true. I'm new to the Multi-channel input scene, so I don't have enough experience listening yet between the two. This could be the very reason that people switch over to the newer receivers.

Dale, what has your experience been with the Arcam and multichannel? Are you happy when you boost the bass by +10?
I am very pleased, even with the rather awkward analog setup in my Panny BD 55 player. The boost is sufficient. If you do read more on the EAP for the new Oppo player at avsforum you will read several posts from analog users that are very pleased with the results in their high-end (non-HDMI) preamps, etc.
The difference between analog and feeding it digital 5.1 is significant IMO. As it was with my Toshiba XA1 HDDVD player with my Arcam. Don't get me wrong, digital processing still sounds fine and even improved on some of the latest BD transfers.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Dale,

So you actually prefer the Analog feed over the digital, or am I misunderstanding your post?

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Dale,

So you actually prefer the Analog feed over the digital, or am I misunderstanding your post?
Definitely, I think with cheaper receivers it would make less of a difference.
But the Arcam has the dynamics and excellent S/N to deliver the goods through analogs!
More open, greater clarity.

I can hear improved audio over digital though from BD, compared to when I had an HD-DVD player.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think that would also depend on the quality of the analog outputs from the disc player. I know that the earlier Oppo units, including my 981, had poorer quality analog outputs. When I upgraded to the Marantz from my old Yamaha, I used HDMI. There was an improvement that I think can be attributed to staying in the digital domain. I haven't, however, tried the analog outs with this receiver so I can't be 100% sure.

Jim

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
You are correct, it would also depend on the quality of the analog circuitry in the player. Most have improved in that regard, I would expect even more from Oppo based on their past performance.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
I have an Outlaw 990. Unless you set all speakers to large & sub to on it will take the multi-ch analog inputs & convert them to digital to do bass management & time delay.

-Dave
DaveHo...Are you saying that if I select mains to large and have sub/lfe on then I can use the pre/pro for bass management? Otherwise with spkrs set to small with sub/lfe on I would then use the players bass management. So the bass management is usable with spkrs set to large...? Or is it usable through digital feed only rather than analog? Confused here...thanks. Right now I have everything set to small and xover set at 60hz. This setting works great for digital feeds(movie/music/xbox) as well as multich analog stuff(dvda/sacd).

Even if I have to settle for the oppos fixed 80hz xover point that would be fine for movies. I think it is too high for music though, thus my pre/pros 60hz setting. I have nht classic fours with the ten's bi-amped with seperate nht amps/xover so I like to use their tight fast bass(... nevermind) to the fullest and use the sub for just the lowest stuff. Movies...not so critical...so again, I could live w/ 80hz xover for movies if that's the case.

D

DaveHo

Audioholic
DaveHo...Are you saying that if I select mains to large and have sub/lfe on then I can use the pre/pro for bass management? Otherwise with spkrs set to small with sub/lfe on I would then use the players bass management. So the bass management is usable with spkrs set to large...? Or is it usable through digital feed only rather than analog? Confused here...thanks. Right now I have everything set to small and xover set at 60hz. This setting works great for digital feeds(movie/music/xbox) as well as multich analog stuff(dvda/sacd).

Even if I have to settle for the oppos fixed 80hz xover point that would be fine for movies. I think it is too high for music though, thus my pre/pros 60hz setting. I have nht classic fours with the ten's bi-amped with seperate nht amps/xover so I like to use their tight fast bass(... nevermind) to the fullest and use the sub for just the lowest stuff. Movies...not so critical...so again, I could live w/ 80hz xover for movies if that's the case.
No, you have it backwards. On the Outlaw, any setting other than all speakers large & sub on will digitize the multi-channel analog ins & do "stuff" including bass management, time delay, & level trims.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
DaveHo...so I should have bass management with current settings of spkrs set to small. The sub/lfe is automatically set to on when spkrs are set to small in my situation...not sure about your 990. I do know that when I listen to multi ch music through the analog ins, I can adjust levels inluding sub, distance, etc if I choose to but this has all been done previous with setup some time ago.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
You guys are fortunate. I have a Sony BDP-300... The unit doesn't let me adjust anything other than speaker size.. No distance, no cross over, no volume levels, nothing..

I don't recommend this player to anyone looking to use the multi-channel analog outputs. It sounds good when listening to HD movies, but I know that with a better unit, like the Oppo, it could be so much better. I'm looking forward to retiring this unit to my bedroom system and selling my Denon DVD/SACD player for the all in one Oppo upon release.

Feedback from people in the trial seems to be really good on the Oppo site too....

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Does anyone have any opinions how this new Oppo Blu-ray stacks up to the Marantz BD8002 Blu-Ray Disc Player? I realize that the Oppo has SACD and the Marantz doesn't, but other than that, how do they compare in terms of SQ, Multi-channel output bass management, speaker management, etc?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely, I think with cheaper receivers it would make less of a difference.
But the Arcam has the dynamics and excellent S/N to deliver the goods through analogs!
More open, greater clarity.

I can hear improved audio over digital though from BD, compared to when I had an HD-DVD player.
Well, I have a $2K Denon BD player and a $5,500 Denon Receiver.

After playing around with both Analog Output & Digital Bitstream, I think the digital bitstream sounds better.

This is the same way with my Toshiba HD-XA1. I compared Matrix HDDVD w/ TrueHD Analog 5.1 vs plain DD bitstream (which the XA1 converts to DTS). I actually thought the DD bitstream sounded better than the TrueHD Analog 5.1.

I will "probably" never go back to analog audio.:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

After playing around with both Analog Output & Digital Bitstream, I think the digital bitstream sounds better.

This is the same way with my Toshiba HD-XA1. I compared Matrix HDDVD w/ TrueHD Analog 5.1 vs plain DD bitstream (which the XA1 converts to DTS). I thought the DD bitstream sounded better than TrueHD Analog 5.1

I agree, they(analog user's) are in denial!:D

Last edited:
G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
So are you saying that you think Dolby Digital sounds better in non-HD format via bitstream, then DD HD 5.1 through Analog? I ask because I don't have a processor with HDMI inputs and am not intending on getting one any time soon.

Many people say that the Dolby and DTS HD audio formats are much better via Analog multichannel than running DD or DTS through Coax/Optical.

Are you saying you think the Coax/Optical signal sounds better than the HD audio multichannel, or that the HDMI HD sounds better than the Analog HD?

This is the same way with my Toshiba HD-XA1. I compared Matrix HDDVD w/ TrueHD Analog 5.1 vs plain DD bitstream (which the XA1 converts to DTS). I actually thought the DD bitstream sounded better than the TrueHD Analog 5.1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So are you saying that you think Dolby Digital sounds better in non-HD format via bitstream, then DD HD 5.1 through Analog? I ask because I don't have a processor with HDMI inputs and am not intending on getting one any time soon.

Many people say that the Dolby and DTS HD audio formats are much better via Analog multichannel than running DD or DTS through Coax/Optical.

Are you saying you think the Coax/Optical signal sounds better than the HD audio multichannel, or that the HDMI HD sounds better than the Analog HD?
I'm saying that I think Bitstream (whether via Optical/Coaxial or HDMI) sounds better than 5.1 Analog Output to me.

I had the same impression when I had the Harman Kardon receiver. I thought Matrix TrueHD via 5.1 Analog Output of the Toshiba HD-XA1 did NOT sound as good as the DD via Coaxial/Optical Bitstream.

My Current HTPC also has PCM and Bitstream (DD/DTS). And I think the Bitstream sounds a lot better than PCM here as well.

Same thing when I watched Incredible Hulk BD. Compared PCM vs Bitstream on HDMI on Denon AVR-5308CI + DVD-3800BDCI. I thought the Bitstream sounded a lot better.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
No doubt analog or HDMI lossless will sound better than lossy.

I have not read anything conclusive stating analog will always be better or worse for lossless.

No denial at all..just subjective at this point for specific setups. :)

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
I have listened to hdmi recvr's and pre/pro combo's that are costly and don't sound good for music at all. They were indeed mated with nice source components and spkr's as well, setup was proper, and room was sufficient. Just did not do it for me in the stereo dept.

I am interested in the Bluray analog path for hd movies because my current combo is very nice for audio whether it's 2ch or multi and performs = for movies/gaming. Being a 70/30 music/video person this is priority. Not to mention the prices of these newer recvr's...crazy. By using the analogs for highend movie soundtracks I get my cake and eat it too and it's just plain good nough w/o having to upgrade...or is that downgrade...?

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Of course it's downgrade! Using analog when you live in a digital world?

Kidding! I believe either method is totally acceptable, beyond that what sounds best to you is the only thing that matters!

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
For those of us with receivers that don't decode the 7 channel formats then analog is the only way to go. The benefit to digital on the new receivers is less cabling. Once inside the receiver it's converted to analog through DAC's. The analog conversion in BD players go through the same quality 24bit/192kHz DAC's as most receivers have.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Oh boy, do I hear the old Analog/Digital debate coming on here?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis