Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Oh boy, do I hear the old Analog/Digital debate coming on here?
No debate here Greg, HDMI in lossless will sound better. I liken this argument to the one you're using between evenly priced AVR's and you believe there is a sonic difference;). BTW... I'd bet dollars to donuts that having the choice between analog m/c and HDMI, most people would use the latter.:)

Otherwise, enjoy because you have some excellent equipment and that is what it's all about!:D
Regards, Bill:)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
No debate here Greg, HDMI in lossless will sound better. I liken this argument to the one you're using between evenly priced AVR's and you believe there is a sonic difference;). BTW... I'd bet dollars to donuts that having the choice between analog m/c and HDMI, most people would use the latter.:)
Billy, I'm willing to bet that HDMI in lossless will sound better than analog multi-channel, as an AVR or Processor is going to have far better bass and speaker management over any BR player. Since I haven't been able to do A/B comparisons, I can't really make any arguments on this and won't. I think I'd lose and you are probably right on this point....Since I just ordered an Arcam AVR350, I'm going to have to live with Multi-Channel for now and I'm fine with that. I'm sure with the Arcam, it will sound quite good.

The argument in the other forum regarding evenly priced receivers really isn't the case. I simply think that the NAD AVR that the poster is considering is going to sound better in 2 channel stereo than the Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo units he was comparing them to. The NAD is a refurbed unit that retailed for over $2,500. The others are $1,500-$1,800 units.

I also think the power ratings on the NAD are more accurate for continuous power, all channels driven, compared to the Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo..

My argument is simply that units like NAD and Arcam are going to sound better due to the Amps and even without the Amps, the processors, electronics and DACS are better in the NADS and Arcam units.

I don't have any recent experience with the Denon and my Onkyo exprience is around 4 years old. But I did test a Yamaha V3900 less than a month ago with my speakers and I just didn't like the way it sounded. It had a great sound stage, but it gave me listening fatigue way too quickly...

Last edited:
D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
BTW, I note the new Oppo uses Cirrus DACs, same type used in some Arcam gear. I don't have anything more specific than that at this point.
Pioneer players use Wolfson..another fine DAC..

A quality player like the Oppo appears to be, and any quality pre-pro or receiver should make a nice marriage.

Good point, Gregg...the processing in the player and pre is very important but what the receiver/amp does with it in the final stage is certainly a big factor.
I certainly would not give that up for convenience. But with careful matching of components one does not have to feel they are missing out on anything regardless of the interface used.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you take a brand new $1,000 Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, HK, Pioneer, Marantz and compare them to a brand new $4,000 Arcam, NAD, etc., they will sound very similar when you BYPASS all Tones, EQs, & DSPs.

Just look at the actual MEASURED Specs - SNR, THD, Crosstalk, Frequency Response. They all measure about the same, and they all sound about the same.

However, over TIME, parts will degrade.

Thus, I think over time - say 10 years, the $4,000 components may RETAIN the sound quality better than the less expensive units.

So just buy new components every 5 years.:D

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
If you take a brand new $1,000 Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, HK, Pioneer, Marantz and compare them to a brand new $4,000 Arcam, NAD, etc., they will sound very similar when you BYPASS all Tones, EQs, & DSPs.

Just look at the actual MEASURED Specs - SNR, THD, Crosstalk, Frequency Response. They all measure about the same, and they all sound about the same.

However, over TIME, parts will degrade.

Thus, I think over time - say 10 years, the $4,000 components may RETAIN the sound quality better than the less expensive units.

So just buy new components every 5 years.:D
I think your point about reliable performance over the years is certainly well made.
But in IMO comparing a $1000 Yamaha or HK with an $2500 to $4000 Denon, Arcam, NAD, Marantz, Integra, B&K, etc. a bit of a stretch. For one thing, they could have very close written specs, but more often than not, the higher end gear is often found to be underrated in several areas during actual testing. IHF rated power (current demand, etc.) is a common example. And this is what you pay for (robust internal components) along with less 'off the shelf' designing.
Granted, without excellent a/v components throughout the 'chain', source to loudspeaker, most of us will never fully appreciate the differences.
Or to put it another way, we will appreciate it but in different degrees. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the new Oppo Universal player will be extremely hot, especially after they implement DVD-A.

A high quality player that does BD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, & CD for only around $600 is unbelievable.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Oppo?

I can't think of anything, especially for the price.:D

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I think the new Oppo Universal player will be extremely hot, especially after they implement DVD-A.

A high quality player that does BD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, & CD for only around $600 is unbelievable.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Oppo?

I can't think of anything, especially for the price.:D
I've seen nothing negative yet, and have been looking!!! The only negative thing is that it isn't available to me yet!!!

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I guess my only wish is that they would have a BD/DVD player for around $400. I don't own any SACDs/DVD-A's, but really, I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer.

For now...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I mean the only competition I know of is the $3,800 Denon flagship BD Universal player!:eek:

Oppo is awesome.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I guess my only wish is that they would have a BD/DVD player for around $400. I don't own any SACDs/DVD-A's, but really, I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer.

For now...
It would make sense that Oppo wants to see how well the BDP-83 does with a more limited market. Of course, the same player with just good BD playback will open up the market against a lot more competition, even though the more fussy types like us are likely to still find it more desirable. Oppo's up-conversion capabilities, plus add in great customer support and attention to detail, you still have a winner! In fact I don't know of any others that fall in that category, for the price.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic

For now...
I think your on to something. I'd gladly give up the SACDs/DVD-A and analog out for a 200 cheaper player.
Of course if I did buy it then I'd have to get some SACDs just to try it out :D

majorloser

majorloser

Second Round Early Adoption Program

The initial program was opened to 50 persons. They have decided to expand the program to a further 300 persons in the second round instead of 100 as originally planned. The notifications will be sent today (Monday, March 16th)

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/EAP.aspx

"Second Round Early Adoption Program

We greatly appreciate the feedback, comments and encouragement from the first 50 early adoption customers. The number of "YES" votes from the first round has exceeded our expectation, and therefore we have decided to expand the Early Adoption Program to a second round of 300 customers.

OPPO is a customer-oriented company. The primary goal of the Early Adoption Program is to be sure that the BDP-83 meets our customers' expectations. For the second round, we will randomly select 300 names from those who signed up for the Blu-ray Interest List, and send invitations to order on Monday, March 16th. These combined 350 customers from the first & second rounds of the Early Adoption Program will help us in deciding when to release the BDP-83 to the public.

At this moment, we are working on a new firmware revision that will address many of the issues reported by our beta test users and Early Adoption customers. We are also in the process of adding new features such as DVD-Audio support. We expect this updated firmware ready by sometime next week, hence we will start to ship out the second batch players in the later half of next week. For our second set of Early Adoption Program customers, we ask that you please be patient as we must upgrade each unit prior to shipping."

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I'm probably just lazy...

... but I wasn't going to read all 16 pages (currently) in this forum, but my quick perusal of a few posts have me believing that most people feel that the 983 will play DVD-A, but if you go to their site, they don't make that claim:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Has Oppo dropped DVD-A from this player? It seems as though they may have. I've been hearing lots of reports of DVD-A's demise (which sucks as I have a boatload of DVD-As).

But, if they have dropped it, it doesn't make sense for me (at least) to buy one. I can buy a high-quality Blu Ray player by another manufacturer for a lot less and just keep my 980H for DVD-A.

Thoughts?

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
It pays to dig a little...

So, I went back to Oppo's page, and found this (under the second EAP tab on the 983 page):

At this moment, we are working on a new firmware revision that will address many of the issues reported by our beta test users and Early Adoption customers. We are also in the process of adding new features such as DVD-Audio support. We expect this updated firmware ready by sometime next week,

However, I don't know when that 2nd EAP page was posted.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
... but I wasn't going to read all 16 pages (currently) in this forum, but my quick perusal of a few posts have me believing that most people feel that the 983 will play DVD-A, but if you go to their site, they don't make that claim:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Has Oppo dropped DVD-A from this player? It seems as though they may have. I've been hearing lots of reports of DVD-A's demise (which sucks as I have a boatload of DVD-As).

But, if they have dropped it, it doesn't make sense for me (at least) to buy one. I can buy a high-quality Blu Ray player by another manufacturer for a lot less and just keep my 980H for DVD-A.

Thoughts?
I believe you mean to write 83...not 983. The 83 will do dvda asap according to Oppo. Just waiting for firmware to be revised. The new 83 will upconvert 480 as good as the 983 which is stellar, play about every cd format if not all formats, and is a br player. Soon to do dvda as well. This is a bargain in my book. Top notch performance for audio, standard dvd, and br...? No brainer. Stereophile chose the older but still current(not for long on the 983...which according to site is replaced by the 83 br player) 980 and 983 as top products of year regardless of price. The new 83 is all that and more and best of all suits a wide variety of setups based on current components which it will mate to. Worth $500 all day. There's my 1 cent worth...recession.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
I think your on to something. I'd gladly give up the SACDs/DVD-A and analog out for a 200 cheaper player.
Of course if I did buy it then I'd have to get some SACDs just to try it out :D
Chunky...you have to experience a good sacd or dvda multi-ch cd...man, you don't know what you are missing.

majorloser

majorloser

... but I wasn't going to read all 16 pages (currently) in this forum...
My post right above yours was that very quote from OPPO website. :)

OPPO anticipates the firmware update will be complete this week and will be added to the second round of players prior to shipping out. You may also want to follow the link OPPO gave on their site to the official thread for the product over at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287

And this guys is running a FAQ site:
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Chunky...you have to experience a good sacd or dvda multi-ch cd...man, you don't know what you are missing.
I believe that ignorance may be bliss or at least a lot cheaper in this case :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis