Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
Same here... :(

(I've got to get cooking dinner)

Finished vacuuming and dusting the plants on my day off this morning:)

Great to here that the Beta group is really liking the early BDP-83 players. I'm betting this baby will be released before the end of May judging by the comments here and from the OPPO EAP's. I'm starting to count my pennies now...:D

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic

Great to here that the Beta group is really liking the early BDP-83 players. I'm betting this baby will be released before the end of May judging by the comments here and from the OPPO EAP's. I'm starting to count my pennies now...:D
For some reason I don't see it coming out that soon, I am thinking early fall, prior to holiday shopping season!!!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

May 18th is the date that has been mentioned by OPPO. I'm thinking (guessing:p) that $499 is the number.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief

+

My Must have purchases for 2009. I will be doing an overhaul of my audio componnets and go to separates.

majorloser

majorloser

I received the e-mail today from OPPO. They are releasing the player to those who signed up early. The early release price is $499.00

J

jamie2112

Banned
I received the e-mail today from OPPO. They are releasing the player to those who signed up early. The early release price is $499.00
I signed up as well and have not heard anything yet.( crosses fingers)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Just heard as well. $499 and they're shipping pre-orders next week.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Why is Oppo playing with my emotions so!?! Keep checking and no email :(

I actually wasn't sure if I was going to pull the trigger or not. While typing out a rambling post I realized that I'm done screwing with my htpc; tweaking for upconvert and trying to work out kinks for blu-ray play back. Plus I can use that time for better things like killing zombies :D (L4D)

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I got the e-mail as well. And I placed my pre-order. $499 US plus $18 or so for shipping to Buffalo. I am so freakin' juiced!!!

cheers,
supervij

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I think oppo is a little late again to the game with their blu-ray player.

The Sony BDP-S560 will be on my short list for a prospective blu-ray player purchase. At $350 list, it has everything you need and has built in wi-fi!! 802.11n

I dont care about SACD/DVD-audio and i dont really watch regular dvd's anymore. If i needed to i would just use my Toshiba HD-DVD players ;)

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
For some reason I don't see it coming out that soon, I am thinking early fall, prior to holiday shopping season!!!
Wow, I am eating crow from my above quote!!! I too received the email about the pre-order for the Oppo BDP-83!!! Now the big decision, should I pull the trigger and buy this $500 Oppo vs. the $400 Samsung BD-P3600???

I do not own an HDMI converting receiver, in fact I own the Denon AVR-3805!!! I also own the Denon 2200 which gives me DVD-A and SACD, however if I want to use the Blu-Ray player with HD-Audio I need my 5.1 analog inputs for the blu-ray player so my 2200 becomes disconnected!!!

This is a relatively difficult decision to make!!!

majorloser

majorloser

I got the e-mail as well. And I placed my pre-order. $499 US plus $18 or so for shipping to Buffalo. I am so freakin' juiced!!!

cheers,
supervij
I paid a little more for FedEx delivery to Florida. I also added an extra year of warranty. They had an option for RS-232 control but I passed.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Wow, I am eating crow from my above quote!!! I too received the email about the pre-order for the Oppo BDP-83!!! Now the big decision, should I pull the trigger and buy this $500 Oppo vs. the $400 Samsung BD-P3600???

I do not own an HDMI converting receiver, in fact I own the Denon AVR-3805!!! I also own the Denon 2200 which gives me DVD-A and SACD, however if I want to use the Blu-Ray player with HD-Audio I need my 5.1 analog inputs for the blu-ray player so my 2200 becomes disconnected!!!

This is a relatively difficult decision to make!!!
First of all, damn you for bringing my attention to the Samsung, now I'm conflicted again! Heh, not really I waffle more than IHOP ;)

As far as your situation couldn't you use the opitical/digital coax out on your 2200 and then use the 7.1 analog out the Samsung?

I really like the idea that you can stream audio and video from a PC, netflix, and play from a flash drive/external HD.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

cheers,
supervij
Good timing because the CDN dollar hit .84 US the other day and that should help. After you factor in the exchange rate that price IMO really gets up there.

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
I didn't get any email about pre -orders!!! I've registered at Oppo three times! Can someone post the email

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
billy, it came to about $620 CND! I was horrified when I realized just how pricey this player is. But with a non-HDMI receiver and a burning desire to keep listening to DVD-As and SACDs, there really was no other choice.

I still have to wait for it to ship AND for my long-distance girlfriend to come visit me from Buffalo, which probably won't be until mid-May. But hey, I waited this long, I can wait a couple weeks more.

Incidentally, for anyone interested if the unit plays DivX, yes it does. It doesn't specify DivX in the specs section on their website (it only says "other video formats"), but Oppo just replied to my e-mail to say that yes it plays DivX. Also plays mkv, which I'm curious about trying!

cheers,
supervij

PS: egreen, I'd post the link, but Oppo has asked people not to do so. Sorry. :(

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I think Oppo is sending out the e-mail to people who signed up earlier. So if you signed up a bit later, your e-mail is probably coming! :D

cheers,
supervij

majorloser

majorloser

I didn't get any email about pre -orders!!! I've registered at Oppo three times! Can someone post the email
Dear majorloser ,

The BDP-83 Early Adoption Program has successfully come to an end with 88.8% voting in favor of releasing the BDP-83. Valuable feedback from our early adoption customers and beta testers has helped us shape the BDP-83 into a truly exceptional product.

Due to limited initial availability, we are offering priority ordering for customers that signed up early for the OPPO Blu-ray Interest List. If you would like to place a priority order for the BDP-83, please follow the special link below:

(Note they ask us not to share the link)

Please refer the following link for the BDP-83 product features.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

As this is a special by-invitation-only link, we ask that you do not share or mention this special link with anyone else. Priority orders are limited to 1 unit per customer only and all orders are subject to verification. This invitation will remain available through May 2, 2009. We expect to begin fulfilling priority orders next week.

As part of our ongoing effort to improve this full-featured high-performance Blu-ray player, we recommend upgrading the firmware to the latest version to take advantage of features and bug fixes. We greatly appreciate your patience and believe you will find that the BDP-83 was worth the wait.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com