Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern

+

My Must have purchases for 2009. I will be doing an overhaul of my audio componnets and go to separates.
Good choices, I think. I've had one for more than a month. Still waiting for movement on the other.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
First of all, damn you for bringing my attention to the Samsung, now I'm conflicted again! Heh, not really I waffle more than IHOP ;)

As far as your situation couldn't you use the opitical/digital coax out on your 2200 and then use the 7.1 analog out the Samsung?

I really like the idea that you can stream audio and video from a PC, netflix, and play from a flash drive/external HD.
Yep sorry about that, trust me I am agonizing over this decision!!!

For $499 I can get Oppo, a great upscaling player that also plays DVD-A and SACD which means I no longer need my Denon 2200.

With Samsung however I would only need to pay $399 (I also have $50 in Bestbuy Reward zone dollars and a 20% off coupon for dvd/blu-ray players) and I would get a WiFi player that can stream Netflix and Pandora but I would no longer be able to play my DVD-A and SACD discs because my analog inputs would be tied up with the Samsung!!!

Any opinions, honestly I am torn!!!

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

For $499 I can get Oppo, a great upscaling player that also plays DVD-A and SACD which means I no longer need my Denon 2200.

With Samsung however I would only need to pay $399 (I also have $50 in Bestbuy Reward zone dollars and a 20% off coupon for dvd/blu-ray players) and I would get a WiFi player that can stream Netflix and Pandora but I would no longer be able to play my DVD-A and SACD discs because my analog inputs would be tied up with the Samsung!!!

I loved my 3805, but I felt the time had come and I'm glad I switched.:)

Last edited:
C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic

Newegg has an open box of the Samsung for cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882676136R
I was thinking of getting that, but then read some comments that it wasn't so hot upconverting. Since I plan on watching lots of regular DVDs the quality of the upconverting is a top priority for me (hence strong draw to Oppo).

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
billy, it came to about $620 CND!

Oh Oh! How do I explain this to the wife. I'm also paying in Canadian dollars and am waiting for an e-mail confirmation from the Canadian supplier.

Can you say "home improvement" costs....:D

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic

The price of the Samsung will drop in time...Oppo prices do not change as long as they continue to sell the product.
If you don't need SACD or DVD Audio, the Sammy is not a bad choice. The Oppo does not have streaming. The up-conversion is likely to be better in the Oppo..not as big a difference as it used to be a year ago.
The Sammy would be a loaded Corolla, the Oppo a more base Camry with some extras.
Personally, if I was not going Oppo..I would keep my Panasonic BD55 and be very happy.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Yea, I'm strictly getting this to retire my PS3. Although, I think they'll lose a lot of market share because it's really pricey.

I don't have DVD-A or SACDs. Don't really care for them. My fav musicians don't release much in that format.

I think it's still $100 too expensive. I think I'll wait for a price drop or see what Sony's new player is like.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
billy, it came to about $620 CND!

Oh Oh! How do I explain this to the wife. I'm also paying in Canadian dollars and am waiting for an e-mail confirmation from the Canadian supplier.

Can you say "home improvement" costs....:D
Ive already staring collecting my receipts...:D. I believe that price of 620.00 CDN was to his girlfriend who lives in Buffalo. You'll incur a 6% cost for duty and additional shipping charges to Canada. FWIW...if I were you, just wait a bit and maybe onlybestrated here in Toronto(OPPO dealer) will soon get the BDP83 and maybe save you some coin.

Otherwise goodluck, Bill:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about getting this for the past couple of days, but when I followed the link in my e-mail this morning, it said that the product is not available. The link worked when I first got the e-mail. The offer was supposed to be good through today (I thought).

Oh, well. They just saved me $500. :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I thought about getting this for the past couple of days, but when I followed the link in my e-mail this morning, it said that the product is not available. The link worked when I first got the e-mail. The offer was supposed to be good through today (I thought).

Oh, well. They just saved me $500. :)
Hi Adam,
The link has to include your email address at the end.
FWIW I just tried mine and it worked.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Rick. Mine did work earlier, but not today. It said that it was good until May 2, but perhaps that meant that the offer ended once May 2 arrived. The link provided to me doesn't have my e-mail address in it, but it did work a couple of days ago.

It's cool. Really. It was more disappointment that I no longer have the opportunity. I hadn't planned on spending $500 on it anyway. I have no blu-rays, no HDTV, and my receiver can't take HDMI. That player would end up costing me about $3k. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, Rick. Mine did work earlier, but not today. It said that it was good until May 2, but perhaps that meant that the offer ended once May 2 arrived. The link provided to me doesn't have my e-mail address in it, but it did work a couple of days ago.

It's cool. Really. It was more disappointment that I no longer have the opportunity. I hadn't planned on spending $500 on it anyway. I have no blu-rays, no HDTV, and my receiver can't take HDMI. That player would end up costing me about $3k. :D
I'm going to hold off too.

Between the OPPO and the Emo UMC-1 the Emo will be my next purchase.
So it's a good day, we've both saved big money$$:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Uh, I've met his wife.

(she could kick both Rick and my butt)
Are you saying that you and Rick are Wuss's too:eek:. I'll come clean, I asked the missus about getting this player and she just gave me the look...:eek:.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
I was still able to log in with the email ordering link!!! After much consideration I believe I have decided against the Oppo for now!!!

I can't justify the $499 price tag just because it has DVD-A and SACD playback! While it is arguable that the Oppo has better up-conversion then the Samsung, the Samsung's WiFi connectivity with the supplied WiFi Dongle and the streaming of Netflix and Pandora all for $100 less just seems to be the better deal in my opinion!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis