Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a lower model after this one; maybe without SACD/DVD-A and no analog outs, so your wait may not be as long. Just a guess.
That's possible, but for just a BD player, it really does not offer much over the competition. It is the playback of other multi-channel media + upconversion quality that always created a niche for them.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
... Once I saw and heard what Blu was capable of, I pretty much stopped buying SD DVDs...
You're absolutely right; no doubt about it...
That's what I'm doing now as well, but on a slow-motion basis, though.

BTW, last week I've got the Stevie Wonder Concert on BD ( Stevie At Last ) and tell you what: pretty freakin' awesome on DTS-HD MA :)

Bottom line: on a step-by-step basis, we'll be climbing up the hill, easely :)

Regards, Chuck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's possible, but for just a BD player, it really does not offer much over the competition. It is the playback of other multi-channel media + upconversion quality that always created a niche for them.
A niche that is likely to shrink not grow, going forward. I have enough DVD-As and SACDs that this player is an easy choice for me, but those titles have become not unlike vinyl at this point already: not readily available (especially in local stores) and few mainstream releases.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I love it, because the SACD/DVD-A will be all new sources for me.. I still have a few DVD-A from some time ago..when I had my old faithful Pioneer 563A player, later the classic Oppo 971H
But after that, I left that scene..only to return now revived by the promise of the new '83.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
A bit off topic, but 2 weeks ago I've been at 2 BB in Chicago Town and they're no longer selling SACD/DVD-A discs though :eek:

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
While I'm not their target customer I'd happily buy a TOP NOTCH BD & DVD player even if it didn't have analog out or the other nifty options they're known for. I doubt Oppo would do it but I'd likely line up to buy one ....

Basically if it's "better" at playing BD & DVDs than a PS/3 ; was much quiter ; and was less expensive I'd buy one NOW.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A bit off topic, but 2 weeks ago I've been at 2 BB in Chicago Town and they're no longer selling SACD/DVD-A discs though :eek:
They moved them into the same mix as the regular CDs here, but they carry very few of them these days. That happened here almost a year ago.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I love SACD and DVD-Audio, but the new high resolution music format (with high res. picture) is Blu-Ray.
It is much more involving to have the sound as good as SACD with the picture to go with it.

Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer Elite new high end Blu-Ray player and Denon new high end Blu-Ray Universal player coming very soon are pretty much only for a certain number of months or couple years, till we get the newer 4k resolution and Holographic 4D picture.

But it's good that few companies always push the envelope for the obsolete formats... :rolleyes:

Anyway you can buy a Sony SACD player these days for less than $100.
Mine cost me only $99 about 4 years ago (the DVP-NS775V).
And I still have my Pioneer 563A and my Denon 1920.
For HD DVDs (yep, I still have over couple hundred of these), I got the Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-A2. The HD-A1 is a fantastic high end player from it's analog output, and the HD-A2 have the same Wolfson Dac (2-channel) than the Pioneer top receiver (SC-07) and blu-ray player (BDP-51FD), the WM-8740.
For Blu-Rays, I have the Samsung 5000 (with the HQV Reon chip), and the Panny BD55. Both of these players give me a very nice picture on both Blu-Ray and DVD format. The Panny BD55 is also a high end analog audio player with Burr-Brown PCM-1681 Dac and Elna & Rubycon caps in it's analog circuit.
Also, these two blu-ray players have all of their jacks gold plated.

Also, Panasonic have the newer BD80, and Samsung with the BD-P2500/2550 that cost only $200 or so (with the Reon chip and the Pandora plus more streaming features).

The Oppo BDP-83 cost what, $500. I live in Canada, how much here for me?
Is it playing DVD-Audio? Is it playing HDCD properly? Is it a better player all around without any hiccups? Will you notice a better picture on a 50 to 65" Plasma TV? Is the sound better than the Oppo 70, 71, 80, 81 or 83 DVD players? Does it transfer DSD direct stream through the HDMI digital interface without PCM conversion? Is it really better in that way to the Oppo 80 Universal DVD player?
I like the looks and build (not quite the same as the new Pioneer Elite high end Blu-Ray player though) of the BDP-83, but does it improves the sound and picture quality?

For about $750 canadian dollars here where I live, I'll pass for now.
If it will be about $300 or $350 canadian ($400 very max.), yep, I'll probably get one.

Anyway, just my kind of thinking...

Bob

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
The Oppo is not a good choice if you just want good BD performance, and good digital audio performance, which likely has more to do with your pre/pro or receiver. It is not a BAD choice, but certainly not a cost-effective one.
There are several excellent alternatives.

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
For about $750 canadian dollars here where I live, I'll pass for now.
If it will be about $300 or $350 canadian ($400 very max.), yep, I'll probably get one.

Anyway, just my kind of thinking...

Bob
Bob, price has me hesitating as well. I received an e-mail from the Canadian distributor (A/V Solutions, Toronto) and they're retailing the Oppo for $599. With taxes (5% GST and 8% PST), that's approx. $675. I can pick it up locally to avoid shipping costs of another $18-20.

That's close to a $700 for this player. I'm still thinking about it too...

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Bob, price has me hesitating as well. I received an e-mail from the Canadian distributor (A/V Solutions, Toronto) and they're retailing the Oppo for $599. With taxes (5% GST and 8% PST), that's approx. $675. I can pick it up locally to avoid shipping costs of another $18-20.

That's close to a $700 for this player. I'm still thinking about it too...
The thing is, Oppos don't go down in price either until they stop producing them.
$700 would be a big piece of change.. of course, against some the Denons and Pioneers (Oppo's biggest competition, IMHO) it's still a good deal.
Too bad you guys can't get your own distributor to get them in cheaper. I think that's the problem with niche products.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
The Oppo is not a good choice if you just want good BD performance, and good digital audio performance, which likely has more to do with your pre/pro or receiver. It is not a BAD choice, but certainly not a cost-effective one.
There are several excellent alternatives.
Share with us the alternatives considering they do multi ch audio as well as compatability with older equipment by internal decoding/processing prior to connection to legacy gear.

majorloser

majorloser

Light at the End of the Tunnel

My order status changed to "PROCESSING".

Hopefully I'll get a tracking number soon. I paid for FedEX 3-Day delivery.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Share with us the alternatives considering they do multi ch audio as well as compatability with older equipment by internal decoding/processing prior to connection to legacy gear.
None, I was referring to alternatives where connection to legacy gear was not as important.
But Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic all have models that do 5.1/7.1 analog quite well for older receivers. They have bass management, etc....having selectable 10 db bass boost in your receiver or pre/pro is still essential for SACD, DVDA or lossless BD audio, even for the Oppo.
Generally this cost you another C note over HDMI only players.

Of course, the 'big 3' do not do SACD/DVD-A, or dedicated quality stereo outputs for CD.

And audio & build quality is up on the Oppo. But it should be, you pay a premium.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Ordered my Oppo tonight through the early purchase release. Looking forward to getting it, as my Sony BR is just not cutting the mustard with HD Audio Output and load times....

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Ordered my Oppo tonight through the early purchase release. Looking forward to getting it, as my Sony BR is just not cutting the mustard with HD Audio Output and load times....
Just got mine this week..you should be more than pleased!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking forward to it.. I'm planning on selling my Denon 3910 and Sony Blu-Ray, so both should almost cover the cost as well :D

J

JStew

Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to it.. I'm planning on selling my Denon 3910 and Sony Blu-Ray, so both should almost cover the cost as well :D
I got mine yesterday and think you won't be disappointed. So far, I've only had one issue which is well known (Beatles-Love DVD-A). Other than that, it's a keeper.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I just ordered that very disk! We will see if I also have an issue..fairly popular one so I suspect folks will be alerting OPPO if there is an issue.

J

JStew

Enthusiast
I just ordered that very disk! We will see if I also have an issue..fairly popular one so I suspect folks will be alerting OPPO if there is an issue.
They are aware already. Most of the other DVD-A discs play fine, but this one has a problem at track 21 and the final track. They'll figure out the problem and have it repaired sometime soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis