Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't justify the $499 price tag just because it has DVD-A and SACD playback! While it is arguable that the Oppo has better up-conversion then the Samsung, the Samsung's WiFi connectivity with the supplied WiFi Dongle and the streaming of Netflix and Pandora all for $100 less just seems to be the better deal in my opinion!!!
I am with you on this. To me, an universal player without BD capability is a bad enough idea unless you are limited in shelf space. I am sure the Oppo does a great job with test materials but there are players <$100 that can upconvert/upscale 480i/p video/movie DVDs just as good. My Samsung upscales quite well with the Reon but it is practically useless for me. If I were to do it again I would go totally separate from the start.

It makes no sense to have one single player subjected to all the wear and tear. When it fails sooner than later due to heavier usage, you will end up with nothing to play with until you have the single player fixed.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Uh, I've met his wife.

(she could kick both Rick and my butt)
Only if she caught the two of us trying to sneak the new OPPO into the house.:D

She claims I talked myself out of it.
I kinda did; I just replaced our entire HVAC system last week, so I don't feel comfortable spending any more money.
I'm the saver; my wife, not so much.;)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Are you saying that you and Rick are Wuss's too:eek:. I'll come clean, I asked the missus about getting this player and she just gave me the look...:eek:.
I know what you mean.
My wife asked how much it was, and when I told her, she didn't say anything. As every married guy knows, that also means 'No':D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
PENG, I hear what you're saying about having one machine do everything. It'll certainly cause more wear and tear on it, but unfortunately for me, I have very little space. My Sony TV stand is so foolishly constructed that I can only fit three components in there -- even though there's room for four. Receiver plus DVR plus one more. Including a rack somewhere would make things crowded indeed. So I chose to go with just one player.

Plus, since my receiver lacks HDMI, and I have no more funds for a new one with HDMI, I had to use one and only one set of multi-channel analog outputs, which forced me to make a choice: SACD and DVD-A, or the new BD audio codecs, or both. Both is preferred, hence having only one player.

With regards to the lack of wireless internet connectivity on this player, it does have two USB inputs (one in the front, one in the back). I think there's some kind of dongle one can buy to slide into a USB port and thus become part of a home network. BAM. Problem solved. :)

cheers,
supervij

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Super, if I were limited in space I would go universal as well. In fact I own one:eek: and I have space. However, if I were you I would still find/make room for just one skinny $50 to $80 DVD players to upconvert/upscale you old DVD or rental movies and baby that brand new Oppo, in other words use it for your super expensive (I own too many so I know) SACD, DVD-A and BD discs. Believe me, that skinny player will play DVD as good as the Oppo, they only fail to compare in test patterns etc.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
I also don't have any space issues so I can use my Toshiba HD-DVD which up-scales incredibly well to play my DVDs while using the Samsung for Blu-Ray only...as for DVD-A and SACD, I only own a handful of discs and I bought those quite some time ago, long before I owned my current lot of iPods. So iTunes is where I buy most of my music unfortunately!!!

As for adding a USB WiFi dongle for the Oppo, you are correct, it is an option, but those aren't cheap currently and the Samsung player includes their Dongle all for the $399 price!!!

I may revisit Oppo in the future, after these Blu-Ray player prices come down. One thing for sure is that the Oppo will probably set the new standard for blu-ray players and hopefully the competition will catch up and we will see cheaper players in a year or so!!!

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
At this moment, the Samsung 3600 is the one to get. Finally there's a player that loads discs nearly seamlessly - it's faster than the PS3. It's getting rave reviews from everyone. The only thing I'd like to know is it's upscaling of DVDs, and CD playing.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that link. She had some great quotes listed there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Placed my order for my Oppo yesterday as part of the expanded early adopter program. Will let you know once I get it.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Just in case anyone interested, Oppo says that those wireless dongle things won't work. According to their e-mail to me:

"This will not work, as these dongles require drivers to operate the device. You can use an Ethernet to Wireless bridge or adapter, however, to take advantage of a wireless network. Many companies, from Belkin to Linksys, make such devices."

So that's what I'll likely do, once I've researched it some. Frankly, I'm not terribly interested in the internet aspects of BD, but who knows, it might be fun. That whole thing they're doing with the BD live coverage of a Star Trek convention in Germany (need the BD of the First Season of the Original Series for it) could be interesting. :)

cheers,
supervij

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
Ah so I see, the Oppo doesn't support WiFi connectivity, only ethernet connectivity!!!

The Oppo pre-purchase link seems to still be working for me, at least it does up until payment information is needed!!!

Tomorrow I will be going to Bestbuy to get the Samsung BDP-3600 and then tuesday I will head up to Phoenix and hit Fry's for some Blu-Rays, hopefully i will find some good deals!!!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My pre-order link is working again today. Bastards. Why do they taunt me so?

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
My pre-order link is working again today. Bastards. Why do they taunt me so?
I just got an email from them about ordering. I was sort of relived about not getting it since it gave me more of a chance to procrastinate.
I have no doubts about the quality, customer service, or their ability to patch and update as technology changes...just not sure if with my modest setup there would be a discernible difference between players half that cost.

I think the bill from our recent grout work and upcoming vacation may make the decision for me.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I just got an email from them about ordering. I was sort of relived about not getting it since it gave me more of a chance to procrastinate.
I have no doubts about the quality, customer service, or their ability to patch and update as technology changes...just not sure if with my modest setup there would be a discernible difference between players half that cost.

I think the bill from our recent grout work and upcoming vacation may make the decision for me.
I think all those things you mention, plus superior DVD up-conversion and SACD/DVD-A capability are what makes an Oppo an Oppo.
Although, patching and updating is something most mfg are up to snuff with these days.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
I just got an email from them about ordering. I was sort of relived about not getting it since it gave me more of a chance to procrastinate...
Same happened to me!

Tell you what, I really don't need another BD player for the time being, as my Panny BD-30 is performing flawlessly, so I'll be better off waiting for Oppo's 2nd generation or so, and that means 1-2 years time-frame,though.

Regards, Chuck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Same happened to me!

Tell you what, I really don't need another BD player for the time being, as my Panny BD-30 is performing flawlessly, so I'll be better off waiting for Oppo's 2nd generation or so, and that means 1-2 years time-frame,though.

Regards, Chuck
I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a lower model after this one; maybe without SACD/DVD-A and no analog outs, so your wait may not be as long. Just a guess.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Got your point J Garcia,

in my case it's not a matter of a few buck more or less for the BD player itself, but I'm somehow avoiding getting the plunge deep inside into the BD world right now, to be honest. My SD DVD's collection is about a 400+ discs and for that reason I got the 983H player, just to be the shooting star of the show :). With the Panny BD-30, I'm just getting the taste of the HD world, step-by-step though. Not in a hurry at all :)

Regards, Chuck

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
Ive already staring collecting my receipts...:D. I believe that price of 620.00 CDN was to his girlfriend who lives in Buffalo. You'll incur a 6% cost for duty and additional shipping charges to Canada. FWIW...if I were you, just wait a bit and maybe onlybestrated here in Toronto(OPPO dealer) will soon get the BDP83 and maybe save you some coin.

Otherwise goodluck, Bill:)
Thanks Bill. Got my e-mail from Solutions A/V here in Toronto offering the BDP-83 for $599 which will run me $675 with taxes (ouch!).

I'm thinking about it really hard. I'm torn whether it will be worth it to drop that kind of coin. Any advice truly appreciated!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got your point J Garcia,

in my case it's not a matter of a few buck more or less for the BD player itself, but I'm somehow avoiding getting the plunge deep inside into the BD world right now, to be honest. My SD DVD's collection is about a 400+ discs and for that reason I got the 983H player, just to be the shooting star of the show :). With the Panny BD-30, I'm just getting the taste of the HD world, step-by-step though. Not in a hurry at all :)

Regards, Chuck
I have been thinning down my DVD collection of late, as I was right around 400 movies as well. Once I saw and heard what Blu was capable of, I pretty much stopped buying SD DVDs. I had my PS3 long before the Panny's came out, so that was my foot in the door of BD. It has performed well, but there are plenty of reasons why I would like a dedicated BD player. Though this one isn't cheap, I expect to get a lot of use out of it :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis