Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just picked mine up. Will be trying it out tonight with the copy of Rise of the Lycans that I also just picked up. WooHoo :cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Initial impression: I am VERY impressed with this player. The audio is excellent thus far. I have tried SACD and DVD-A and both sound better than my 2900 with only minor tweaks to the audio setup. Setup of the player is straight forward and easy; meaning I didn't have to read the manual to figure it out. Bonus is that with the default settings, it uses the old codes in my remote for basic functions from my 980 :) The BD audio is not quite as improved over what I have been getting with the PS3, but I only tried the one title so far and I have not dug deep into the settings. I wasn't sure if it would be the case, but it looks like I may retire the 2900 after all this time. I have yet to try DVD to see how the upscaling is, but if it is as good as the 980, I am sure I won't have any complaints, though I only very rarely watch DVDs anymore.

One player to rule them all :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They had 20 or so of them sitting in their front area waiting to be picked up :eek: I recall the email saying that we would need to update the firmware, but I asked and they said the player came with the most recent on it already. The guy laughed when I told him it was quite a bit heavier than anything else I've bought from them; it is about 2X the size of the 980, and 3X the weight.

I had one issue where it didn't seem to retain the audio settings when I turned it off and back on, but it seems to have saved them now.

One annomaly I did notice is that if I turn off the TV while hires discs are playing, the audio cuts out for a second on both DVD-A and SACD. It did not seem to do this with BDs. Normally when listening to either of these formats, I turn off the display. The Pure Audio mode turns off the video output, but I like to turn the display as well. I am also running it through a HDMI switch, so it could be some kind of handshake thing; no big deal now that I know it does this, though I will likely report this to Oppo.

The thing I am most impressed with thus far is BDs with uncompressed audio tracks. WOW :cool: I thought DTS-HD sounded great, but the level of detail and presence is nothing short of staggering on the tracks I listened to. It was like listening to a well mastered SACD with high def video at the same time :eek: This alone was worth waiting for. I am going to have to go back and check out my catalog for titles with uncompressed audio. The first one I could think of was House of Flying Daggers - Echo Game scene. There are two parts to this scene, the obvious one being the echo game itself. The sound on the echo game was jaw dropping, not to mention I could easily pick out things that I had never heard before like people whispering in the background (you can actually hear the dialog, not just whispering), and the drums were thunderous. The second is a little more subtle, right after at the end of the confrontation where they are walking in the beads; as the sword slides through the beads it moves from side to side and the separation and movement is even more realistic than ever. As the beads flutter, it sounds like you are IN THE ROOM. Good stuff.

Video wise, I don't notice a big improvement over the PS3, though I had to tweak brightness and contrast down slightly for the Oppo. I will have to throw in the included disc, which appears to be a calibration disc or perhaps just a demo disc? I hadn't read about that.

Probably the one and only thing I am not totally jazzed about is the remote, which is a bit more bulky than before and not quite as nice as the one for the 980 (though this one is backlit) but that will all be programmed into my universal anyway. Again, a very minor thing that makes little difference to me in the end because I almost never use the remotes that come with the unit except for setup. I will have to get used to the IR though, since I have grown accustomed to the bluetooth capabilities of the PS3 :)

I was hesitant about the price before, but let me just say that I have no complaints about what I got for what I paid. Considering what I have paid for universal players in the past, this player represents the same kind of performance and VALUE that I've come to expect from Oppo.

Last edited:
CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
This just popped up in my junk mail folder - I don't even remember signing up :confused:

The BDP-83 Early Adoption Program has successfully come to an end with 90% voting in favor of releasing the BDP-83. Valuable feedback from our early adoption customers and beta testers has helped us shape the BDP-83 into a truly exceptional product.

Due to limited initial availability, we are offering priority ordering for customers that signed up early for the OPPO Blu-ray Interest List. If you would like to place a priority order for the BDP-83, please follow the special link below:

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BDP83-VIP757&Partner=VIP757-23161-cravnsn@msn.com

Please refer to the following link for the BDP-83 product features.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

As this is a special by-invitation-only link, we ask that you do not share or mention this special link with anyone else. Priority orders are limited to 1 unit per customer only and all orders are subject to verification. This invitation will remain available through May 19, 2009. We expect to begin fulfilling priority orders between May 18 to May 22, 2009

For verification purposes, during the checkout process please use the same e-mail address you used to register for the BDP-83. If you prefer to use a different e-mail address for your order, please indicate your registered e-mail address in the Additional Information field during checkout.

So you can have the best experience possible with the BDP-83, we will be taking the time to update your unit with the latest firmware before shipping it out to you. We greatly appreciate your patience and believe you will find that the BDP-83 was worth the wait.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

majorloser

majorloser

The OPPO Bluray is up and running with the new projector.

All I can say is WOW. What a change in picture quality it is for me. Moving up from a 720p projector to a 1080p projector and Bluray.

Last nights movies were "Bolt" and "The Dark Knight".

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
This just popped up in my junk mail folder - I don't even remember signing up :confused:

The BDP-83 Early Adoption Program has successfully come to an end with 90% voting in favor of releasing the BDP-83. Valuable feedback from our early adoption customers and beta testers has helped us shape the BDP-83 into a truly exceptional product.

Due to limited initial availability, we are offering priority ordering for customers that signed up early for the OPPO Blu-ray Interest List. If you would like to place a priority order for the BDP-83, please follow the special link below:

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BDP83-VIP757&Partner=VIP757-23161-cravnsn@msn.com

Please refer to the following link for the BDP-83 product features.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

As this is a special by-invitation-only link, we ask that you do not share or mention this special link with anyone else. Priority orders are limited to 1 unit per customer only and all orders are subject to verification. This invitation will remain available through May 19, 2009. We expect to begin fulfilling priority orders between May 18 to May 22, 2009

For verification purposes, during the checkout process please use the same e-mail address you used to register for the BDP-83. If you prefer to use a different e-mail address for your order, please indicate your registered e-mail address in the Additional Information field during checkout.

So you can have the best experience possible with the BDP-83, we will be taking the time to update your unit with the latest firmware before shipping it out to you. We greatly appreciate your patience and believe you will find that the BDP-83 was worth the wait.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

I hope everyone understands that I posted this thinking it’s a scam, so others can avoid being duped.

T

TVJon

Audioholic
I was wondering about that....It seemed like you were trying to let someone else use your code but that didn't make sense, given that it's an individualized offer. Or, you were trying to send a message to Oppo by exposing the "secret." (The secrecy line sounds like a marketing statement to me... Come on, tell someone to keep it a secret and most people will blab!)

In any case, I can tell you that I did sign up. I received a similar email. And I have every reason to believe it's real.

TVJon

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
The e-mail is real. That's how I ordered my Oppo player. But why do you guys already have one when it states that the players won't be shipped until next week? My bad luck screwed me again!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your order/delivery is based on when you got the email. When someone else doesn't choose to purchase, the next person on the list gets a shot until they are all fulfilled.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some other small things that I've noticed:

*It IS fast. Discs start up pretty quickly, though one or two so far have paused for a moment or two, there are no 1 minute waiting periods while content loads up.

*It is quiet so far. The laser movement as it reads the disc can be heard just like the PS3, but with no fan coming on, the unit overall is noticeably quieter than the PS3 or the HD-A2.

I do notice some vertical banding moving left to right on dark scenes, though I have checked my calibration with their provided disc and mine and calibration shows no anomalies. Not sure what the story is there. It was particularly visible last night on Donnie Darko.

It may also be having some issues with my HDMI switch, as I have had it drop video a few times while it is going from the menu to playing the movie, something that I haven't seen since I had the HD-A2. I may have to go back to Oppo and get a HM-31 switch...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
They had 20 or so of them sitting in their front area waiting to be picked up :eek: I recall the email saying that we would need to update the firmware, but I asked and they said the player came with the most recent on it already. The guy laughed when I told him it was quite a bit heavier than anything else I've bought from them; it is about 2X the size of the 980, and 3X the weight.

I had one issue where it didn't seem to retain the audio settings when I turned it off and back on, but it seems to have saved them now.

One annomaly I did notice is that if I turn off the TV while hires discs are playing, the audio cuts out for a second on both DVD-A and SACD. It did not seem to do this with BDs. Normally when listening to either of these formats, I turn off the display. The Pure Audio mode turns off the video output, but I like to turn the display as well. I am also running it through a HDMI switch, so it could be some kind of handshake thing; no big deal now that I know it does this, though I will likely report this to Oppo.

The thing I am most impressed with thus far is BDs with uncompressed audio tracks. WOW :cool: I thought DTS-HD sounded great, but the level of detail and presence is nothing short of staggering on the tracks I listened to. It was like listening to a well mastered SACD with high def video at the same time :eek: This alone was worth waiting for. I am going to have to go back and check out my catalog for titles with uncompressed audio. The first one I could think of was House of Flying Daggers - Echo Game scene. There are two parts to this scene, the obvious one being the echo game itself. The sound on the echo game was jaw dropping, not to mention I could easily pick out things that I had never heard before like people whispering in the background (you can actually hear the dialog, not just whispering), and the drums were thunderous. The second is a little more subtle, right after at the end of the confrontation where they are walking in the beads; as the sword slides through the beads it moves from side to side and the separation and movement is even more realistic than ever. As the beads flutter, it sounds like you are IN THE ROOM. Good stuff.

Video wise, I don't notice a big improvement over the PS3, though I had to tweak brightness and contrast down slightly for the Oppo. I will have to throw in the included disc, which appears to be a calibration disc or perhaps just a demo disc? I hadn't read about that.

Probably the one and only thing I am not totally jazzed about is the remote, which is a bit more bulky than before and not quite as nice as the one for the 980 (though this one is backlit) but that will all be programmed into my universal anyway. Again, a very minor thing that makes little difference to me in the end because I almost never use the remotes that come with the unit except for setup. I will have to get used to the IR though, since I have grown accustomed to the bluetooth capabilities of the PS3 :)

I was hesitant about the price before, but let me just say that I have no complaints about what I got for what I paid. Considering what I have paid for universal players in the past, this player represents the same kind of performance and VALUE that I've come to expect from Oppo.
I have a gnawing question:eek:. Have you by chance used the analog m/c on this unit or are you strictly using HDMI? I'd be very curious to hear/read your thoughts.
Regards, Bill:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a gnawing question:eek:. Have you by chance used the analog m/c on this unit or are you strictly using HDMI? I'd be very curious to hear/read your thoughts.
Regards, Bill:)
I bought this player specifically for the analog outs :) So all my audio comments are only with respect to them. It is so good via analog, that I can definitely put off buying a new pre/pro for a few years now. :D

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Had a chance to nab one...passed on the offer from oppo for now. It would be nice I'm sure but I just have to go with my intuition and wait. One day though...one day.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
Does Fedex deliver on Saturdays? Tracking my order shows that it arrived at the shipping location just a few cities from me today. I might have to wait until Monday. Suck!

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Ordered mine on Thursday. Should be here next week.

Anybody need a PS3?:rolleyes::D

J

JStew

Enthusiast
Does Fedex deliver on Saturdays? Tracking my order shows that it arrived at the shipping location just a few cities from me today. I might have to wait until Monday. Suck!
FedEx does indeed deliver on Saturday. I got mine last Saturday at an unbelievable 8:00pm.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Mine was shipped on Friday. Will be here by the end of next week. Very Happy!:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats, I hope you guys enjoy that unit...

I registered before they concluded the trial period, so hopefully I will get an email sometime soon... It was pretty late in the game, so I don't see it coming very quickly.... I'm sure I'm toward the end of the list

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis