Onkyo TX-RZ70 11.2CH AV Receiver - Official Support Thread

E

EBN

Audioholic
The lowest costing Dirac Live packed Onkyo NR-7100 didn´t do that well. @gene @PENG

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The lowest costing Dirac Live packed Onkyo NR-7100 didn´t do that well. @gene @PENG

It's a 3 year old AVR based on last-gen architecture. No relation to the RZ70.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
It's a 3 year old AVR based on last-gen architecture. No relation to the RZ70.
It is in fact the same generation as the RZ70....

But the NR7100 has no pre-outs, and the amplifier section is the weak point, especially into 4ohm

AmirM runs most of his tests there into 4ohm....

The NR7100 really truly does not like to drive 4 ohm speakers

The Integra twin, DRX 3.4, has the same amps with a full set of pre-outs, and sounds great running as an AVP driving external amps. - I do use the internal amps for surround/height, in which role they do fine, but driving my 4ohm mains they did not do well... - with external power amps all is as it should be.

P

Pace

Audiophyte

But the NR7100 has no pre-outs, and the amplifier section is the weak point, especially into 4ohm

The Integra twin, DRX 3.4, has the same amps with a full set of pre-outs, and sounds great running as an AVP driving external amps. - I do use the internal amps for surround/height, in which role they do fine, but driving my 4ohm mains they did not do well... - with external power amps all is as it should be.
I think the point was that it shares pretty much none of its components with the TX-RZ70, so atleast I would question the validity of discussing this on the thread for the TX-RZ70.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I think the point was that it shares pretty much none of its components with the TX-RZ70, so atleast I would question the validity of discussing this on the thread for the TX-RZ70.
Agreed. The RZ70 is effectively a clean-sheet design compared to the RZ50/NR7100/etc and discussion of those products does not belong in this thread.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Amir discovered nothing new. I wrote a report of the DRX 4.3 5 years ago and came to the same conclusion that the lower end Integra/Onkyo AVRs aren't well suited for 4 ohm speakers and the low power mode tripped by protection doesn't reset unless you unplug the AVR.

see: https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/integra-drx-4.2-drx-4.3-9.2-channel-av-receiver-review

The RZ70 has none of these attributes and it's a red herring to assume otherwise simply because other AVRs in the brand have these limitations.

S

st3llar

Audiophyte
OK I see what you are saying, you can still run the Atmos / DSur modes and it will fill in the missing channels but when compared to the Denon the native 5 channel mixes would favor the surround channels whereas Onkyo favors the surround back's.

I always end up using the up mixed modes to make sure all channels are always used so that was my original concern.

I will be comparing the RZ-70 to my existing 3800h which I did purchase the full multiEQ add-on for.
I’m on the fence buying an RZ-70 or X3800h to finally go from 7.1 to 7.1.4. (Have an old TX-NR709)

I’m curious how did you like moving to the RZ-70? Was it a noticeable upgrade or do you think the x3800h is better value?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m on the fence buying an RZ-70 or X3800h to finally go from 7.1 to 7.1.4. (Have an old TX-NR709)

I’m curious how did you like moving to the RZ-70? Was it a noticeable upgrade or do you think the x3800h is better value?
The X3800H typically would go on sale and at those price levels it is definitely a better value. The RZ70 has much stronger amplifier section build in but that's not an advantage if you use them with external power amplifier. In fact, the X3800h+ a 3 channel power amp will give you more juice for less money.

S

st3llar

Audiophyte
The X3800H typically would go on sale and at those price levels it is definitely a better value. The RZ70 has much stronger amplifier section build in but that's not an advantage if you use them with external power amplifier. In fact, the X3800h+ a 3 channel power amp will give you more juice for less money.
Thanks

I’m so on the fence. I’ll probably do the denon they have then refurb for 900 on the website now.
I am trying to understand the technological differences in supported formats for upmixing and stuff.

M

Miniman1380

Audiophyte
Hi Guys just wondering if anyone could clarify this for me . I have come from a Denon 7.1 setup to the Onkyo TX-RZ70 still running in 7.1 with my roof speakers to be installed and recalibrated soon. I can not seem to find any reference the amp is in Atoms mode or DTS-HD mode etc... just show Dolby surround 7.1 all the time not matter how much I look and test.. with different sources? I'm currently using fiber optic hdmis and all 7 channel are working though. Any thoughts?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
What are the source devices and how are they connected to the receiver? Two monitors connected for two Zones?

If Dolby Surround is the active sound mode, Atmos metadata is not being processed for a number of reasons if playing Dolby Atmos tracks.

When using devices connected directly to the receiver, press the “i” button on the remote controller to view the input signal and selected sound mode on screen. The video signal and network connection information can also be viewed.

If devices are connected directly to a TV or built-in apps from a Smart TV are used, certain settings will need to be made to ensure correct audio output to the receiver.

It would be very helpful to include all of the information about all of the devices in the system.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Hi Guys just wondering if anyone could clarify this for me . I have come from a Denon 7.1 setup to the Onkyo TX-RZ70 still running in 7.1 with my roof speakers to be installed and recalibrated soon. I can not seem to find any reference the amp is in Atoms mode or DTS-HD mode etc... just show Dolby surround 7.1 all the time not matter how much I look and test.. with different sources? I'm currently using fiber optic hdmis and all 7 channel are working though. Any thoughts?
If you are playing Atmos content, you will see "Dolby Atmos" on the front-panel display, and you can also check the input and output by pressing the "i" button on the remote as mentioned above. Note that you can only get Atmos from an HDMI source. SPDIF/Toslink will be limited to 5.1 at best. Also note that, since you have a 7.1 setup, you will only decode the base layer anyway, as all Atmos tracks have a 7.1 base layer (DD+ for streaming or Lossless TrueHD for Blu-ray) with height channels and object metadata on top. Once you get your heights installed, you will start getting those channels decoded (again, assuming the source is Atmos or DTS:X).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Dolby Atmos metadata can be processed using a 7.1 configuration and an HDMI connection. If “Atmos”, “Atmos/DD+“ or Atmos/DTHD“ is not displayed when playing what should be in Dolby Atmos, there is an issue at the source. Again, check the input signal display to see what is actually coming in from a given device.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis