Onkyo Tx-Rz50 vs Denon X3800H

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Make sure your firmware is updated and also that you are currently in Dolby Surround mode. At that point, check under Surround Parameter in either the OSD, mobile app, or web control.
Thought I was in DS earlier when I checked....see it now....but its just an off/on control instead of having a slider for adjustment (like the 4520 has)

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Thought I was in DS earlier when I checked....see it now....but its just an off/on control instead of having a slider for adjustment (like the 4520 has)
The 4520 is probably Dolby PLIIx rather than DS.... they stopped providing it as part of their suite, so they wouldn't have to pay the royalties to Fosgate... :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 4520 is probably Dolby PLIIx rather than DS.... they stopped providing it as part of their suite, so they wouldn't have to pay the royalties to Fosgate... :(
Yes, it is PLIIx/z type. IIIRC Dolby tried to insist that avrs not be able to apply a DTS sound mode to a Dolby codec, too, think that was part of the DS rollout?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, it is PLIIx/z type. IIIRC Dolby tried to insist that avrs not be able to apply a DTS sound mode to a Dolby codec, too, think that was part of the DS rollout?
That’s close to right. It’s confusing unless maybe if you compare Denon 3400 3500 3600 and 3700.

What I think happened is they added DSU with center spread and maybe one model for a time locked out DTS from DSU. Then a couple years later they added virtual heights feature and removed center spread from DSU and also removed PLIIx as well. Gene said Dolby had do so per Denon. Then as far as I know all models were allowed for DTS with DSU. I’m not clear about if center spread returned to DSU or not. I believe no models support PLIIx anymore as well.

Yamaha was similar but I don’t think they ever locked out center spread from DSU. They did create modes of “auto” in their upmixer menu that would force DTS source to use NeuralX and Dolby source to use DSU, but it was not a default setting so you could leave that off. Maybe the newest gen was different.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I've been applying DS to all incoming decoded sources... it has worked fine with DTS
I have not tried to apply DTS modes to Dolby - as I found the Dolby one superior IMO... (I can see no reason why it wouldn't work though?)

My AVR is an Integra DRX 3.4.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been applying DS to all incoming decoded sources... it has worked fine with DTS
I have not tried to apply DTS modes to Dolby - as I found the Dolby one superior IMO... (I can see no reason why it wouldn't work though?)

My AVR is an Integra DRX 3.4.
I don't think it lasted long, maybe a model year and might have been fixed by firmware update, didn't have one of the affected models at the time so don't really know. I think too many complained as many liked to use a DTS sound mode, Dolby was trying to make a power move or something :). Personally I tend to stick to Dolby for Dolby stuff, or basic upmixing.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Dolby signals other than Dolby Atmos can have DTS Neural:X applied to them. DTS signals other than DTS:X/IMAX DTS:X can have Dolby Surround applied to them. Some receivers will not cross upmix IMAX DTS with Dolby Surround while others can do so. DTS 24/96 has other limitations with some new receivers.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Hey everyone,

Update: I ordered the Heco Aurora 1000’s for my front L and R to try them for a month. I liked Shadys reviews on them

I really am liking them so far! I still have a RSL CG23 for my center, the CG3’s for my surrounds, and the 10S for my sub. I’m still waiting for the 12S to come out in Mar/Apr. They now have the 12S on their site. https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer-12s-coming-soon/

I have 2 questions. I’ve been playing around with the crossover for the Heco’s. 40 Hz sounds pretty nice. Would anyone suggest I play them set to Large or have a

Also I know I’ve been back and forth with either (2) 10S or (1) 12S, but if keep the Heco’s, would you recommend the one 12S now that I have the Heco’s?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey everyone,

Update: I ordered the Heco Aurora 1000’s for my front L and R to try them for a month. I liked Shadys reviews on them

I really am liking them so far! I still have a RSL CG23 for my center, the CG3’s for my surrounds, and the 10S for my sub. I’m still waiting for the 12S to come out in Mar/Apr. They now have the 12S on their site. https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer-12s-coming-soon/

I have 2 questions. I’ve been playing around with the crossover for the Heco’s. 40 Hz sounds pretty nice. Would anyone suggest I play them set to Large or have a

Also I know I’ve been back and forth with either (2) 10S or (1) 12S, but if keep the Heco’s, would you recommend the one 12S now that I have the Heco’s?
I'd simply experiment, did you try 80 or higher? You can try the large/double bass type settings, too. See if you have a preference (or want to get into measurements to see what's happening particularly).

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I'd simply experiment, did you try 80 or higher? You can try the large/double bass type settings, too. See if you have a preference (or want to get into measurements to see what's happening particularly).
You are right, I need to get into the measurements. That’s something I plan to do i the near future.

I did try 80 and 90 and turned the 10s off for a few min and I those crossovers seemed to really cut the bass quite a bit

I’m not familiar with the double bass setting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are right, I need to get into the measurements. That’s something I plan to do i the near future.

I did try 80 and 90 and turned the 10s off for a few min and I those crossovers seemed to really cut the bass quite a bit

I’m not familiar with the double bass setting
Well the bass is being redirected to the sub normally, that's why it's less on the speaker (with the sub off). As to double bass, in the Denon it would be in the bass setup, using LFE+Main and speakers set to large; you'll end up with somewhat of an overlap of frequencies and can limit the sub with the crossover which will just act as a low pass filter. Not sure how current Onkyo menus are, on my old one it was literally called double bass. Which avr did you get, I forget....

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Well the bass is being redirected to the sub normally, that's why it's less on the speaker (with the sub off). As to double bass, in the Denon it would be in the bass setup, using LFE+Main and speakers set to large; you'll end up with somewhat of an overlap of frequencies and can limit the sub with the crossover which will just act as a low pass filter. Not sure how current Onkyo menus are, on my old one it was literally called double bass. Which avr did you get, I forget....
I ended up staying with the Denon 4700

J

jamiesaun85

Audiophyte
Good read. I just wanted to comment I went through the exact same process in the same timeframe. Didn't order multiples to demo though, probably should have. Crazy how fast it adds up isn't it?

Anyway, maybe I missed it, which reciever did you go with?

J

jamiesaun85

Audiophyte
I initially went with the Onkyo, last week exchanged it for the 3800. But I think I'm going to get another Onkyo. I'm having a hard time figuring out this Denon, and Odyssey is terrible compared to Dirac. But we both got Neo qleds, so we're pretty much twinning. Lol.

I'm guessing your not a gamer? Since you went with a 4700?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I initially went with the Onkyo, last week exchanged it for the 3800. But I think I'm going to get another Onkyo. I'm having a hard time figuring out this Denon, and Odyssey is terrible compared to Dirac. But we both got Neo qleds, so we're pretty much twinning. Lol.

I'm guessing your not a gamer? Since you went with a 4700?
Nice! Yes, I spent a good 2 months doing trials. The Onkyo was good too, but I do like the 4700 better. A few things I like about the Denon is that it has 2 sub outs that are independent of each other. The size of the Denon is much smaller than the Onkyo. I really like Audyssey. I have had no issues with it. My next step is getting a
U-MM6 Mic and try out REW. You are right, I’m not really a gamer. I used to be. Being 43, my days were well spent playing the 64, Dreamcast, XBox first Gen and all the old school games. Not too worried about audio and graphics with those haha. Yeah I love the QLED. As for things adding up fast, that’s an understatement :oops:. I am however happy with how things are coming together. I’m looking forward to trying out RSL’s new 12” sub next month.

J

jamiesaun85

Audiophyte
Nice! Yes, I spent a good 2 months doing trials. The Onkyo was good too, but I do like the 4700 better. A few things I like about the Denon is that it has 2 sub outs that are independent of each other. The size of the Denon is much smaller than the Onkyo. I really like Audyssey. I have had no issues with it. My next step is getting a
U-MM6 Mic and try out REW. You are right, I’m not really a gamer. I used to be. Being 43, my days were well spent playing the 64, Dreamcast, XBox first Gen and all the old school games. Not too worried about audio and graphics with those haha. Yeah I love the QLED. As for things adding up fast, that’s an understatement :oops:. I am however happy with how things are coming together. I’m looking forward to trying out RSL’s new 12” sub next month.
Which tv did you get?

Same here, quit playing video games around the x box era. Then 6 or 8 months ago I needed an excuse to sit on the couch because that's all I was doing anyway. So got an x box. Then a ps5. Then a tv. Sound bar sounded like crap so went avr with speakers..... Total rabbit hole.

So you used Dirac and Audyssey and got similar results? You must be doing something right.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I have this tv in a 85”https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-85-class-q70a-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6452061.p?skuId=6452061#anchor=productVariations

I started off with a sound bar as well. I purchased this one.

As well as 2 rear speakers and a sub. After spending 2K on the sound-bar setup and doing a lot of research, I decided to go down the rabbit hole myself. It’s been a blast, and I’m so happy I did.

As for the Onkyo RZ50, Dirac never did work. I tried many things, called Onkyo and I never could get it working. I was excited to try Dirac, but it wasn’t something that ever worked.

I used the Onkyo for a month. The second month I used the Denon X4700H. I purchased the Secrets of Audyssey ebook for $10 which was very helpful.

I also watched weeks worth of Audioholics videos and educated myself as much as I could to get set up with Audyssey. Anything else I needed help with I asked questions here. Everyone here has been great and extremely helpful. I still have so much to learn, but I feel I’m off to a great start. I also watched all of Hometheaterguru videos on his channel on YouTube and learned all about placement of speakers and room treatments. His videos were very detailed. I spent a month just on educating myself on speaker placement. There is a lot to learn with Home Audio, but it‘s been worth it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis