Onkyo Tx-Rz50 vs Denon X3800H

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Also it seems I’ve narrowed down my external amp choices to either the AIYIMA A07 or the
Niles SI-275. There are many used Niles available for about $100. I did order the AIYIMA from Amazon knowing I can return it. Curious what some of you would choose between these 2 options for powering my rear surrounds
The AIYIMA is a Stereo Amp and will handle both rear channels. No need for 2 of them. Based only on the review, the Niles looks better to me, but the buying used factor makes it a wash.

I'm really interested in your thoughts once you hook up and play with the AIYIMA. So post back here with some photos.

Last edited:
R

Rylan

Audioholic
That’s helpful @lovinthehd, @-Jim-
I appreciate the feedback. I will give the AIYIMA a go and see how I like it. Finally got all my wiring complete, sheetrock put back on and painted. Should be all set up tomorrow. Will it make a difference using the external amp on the rear surround versus 2 Atmos? Being I have four Atmos, would you advise I keep all four of them getting power from the same source (AVR)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you recommending it would be beneficial for me to purchase 2 of the AIYIMA TPA3255 amps?
No, I was referring to mine, that is a mono amp. If you are getting a stereo amp, obviously one will do.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s helpful @lovinthehd, @-Jim-
I appreciate the feedback. I will give the AIYIMA a go and see how I like it. Finally got all my wiring complete, sheetrock put back on and painted. Should be all set up tomorrow. Will it make a difference using the external amp on the rear surround versus 2 Atmos? Being I have four Atmos, would you advise I keep all four of them getting power from the same source (AVR)
I'd just put the Aiyima on low impact channels, Atmos or rear surrounds should be fine, maybe Atmos slightly better as they should have less to do and perhaps closer to your seat.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I'd just put the Aiyima on low impact channels, Atmos or rear surrounds should be fine, maybe Atmos slightly better as they should have less to do and perhaps closer to your seat.
I like that suggestion.

What cables will I need to connect the Amp to the AVR? RCA?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like that suggestion.

What cables will I need to connect the Amp to the AVR? RCA?
Your avr offers other than rca?

ps Had to look at the back of the Aiyima....only 3.5mm or rca choices there....

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Your avr offers other than rca?

ps Had to look at the back of the Aiyima....only 3.5mm or rca choices there....
Just wanted to double check. I’ve never used an external amp before and just wanted to make sure there was nothing unusual I wasn’t aware of. I appreciate all the help, even on some of the basic questions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to double check. I’ve never used an external amp before and just wanted to make sure there was nothing unusual I wasn’t aware of. I appreciate all the help, even on some of the basic questions.
Generally a pre-out on an avr is live, altho after adding speakers/amp you should re-run calibration/setup to accommodate.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Found out the Umm6 mic is a USB mic, which will work great for REW (when I eventually get around to trying that out)

I purchased it thinking I could also use it with my Denon for calibration. Looks like I only have the 3.5mm option for the Denon mic. If I’m going to eventually use the Umm6 with REW, is it worth it for me to purchase an additional mic (one that’s better than the Denon mic) or is that not needed?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I’ll do that. I got a new umm-6 mic I can now try out too
The usb mics do beat hell out of the old ones you had to fiddle around with providing power to. The setup/calibration mic is compatible with the avr, the usb mic would be a separate use (like general measurements, seeing results of your setup as done with the avr's mic/program. With the usb mic you can use your laptop and something like REW (Room EQ Wizard) to check results of setup/calibration, tho. While REW does have ability to create/load certain eq, avrs generally don't have a way to accept such.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Note that if you buy Dirac for the new Denons, you do in fact need a USB UMIK-1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It may. Dirac's recommendation is the UMIK-1:

Not much to go on but imagine something like the Dayton mics with calibration files would also work. They do in REW.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis