afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What he is saying is that a car gets the power to START from the battery. Once the car is RUNNING, the alternator is spinning and supplying the power to the car and to recharge the battery.

Generally you can take voltage reading at the battery with the car off and should get ~12V, then when the car is running you should get something more like 14V (the charging voltage of the battery). If the car is running and still showing 12V or less, then likely the alternator isn't any good. You can pull off an alternator and take it to an auto-parts store for bench-testing.

So, new battery and it started up? But, now it won't start again? That may suggest that it is the alternator. Also, double check that all the cable connections are tight.
It didn't start yesterday morning. As I kept trying to turn it on the battery was dying. I got a jump and still wouldn't start. I thought maybe because the battery is 3yrs old it died. So I Uber to Walmart and picked up a replacement battery. Took off the old battery put in the new one and same sh-t would not turn on just chugging.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Battery was dying even after a jump yesterday. Trying to turn it on, but won't start after battery change. Maybe it is the starter, but also could be the alternator fuse. Not sure. Not handy with cars. Just takes me from A to B.
Ok Jose, lets sort this out ......

You replaced the battery and does the car now at least turn over ? If so then and in all probability it comes down to fuel and spark. If it's turning over and not starting the first place I would investigate is the fuel pump.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ok Jose, lets sort this out ......

You replaced the battery and does the car now at least turn over ? If so then and in all probability it comes down to fuel and spark. If it's turning over and not starting the first place I would investigate is the fuel pump.
Where haha is the fuel pump on my car? Thanks Mikado. The guy who jumped me said the same thing maybe not getting gas. Hmmm

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know your car but I suspect it's submersed in your fuel tank.

Turn the ignition key off, let it sit for a moment then turn the key to 'on' but do not crank the engine over, listen for 'whirl electric' motor type sound from your gas tank area. If no sound is heard there's a good chance your fuel pump has gone south. if functioning correctly the whirling sound would be the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rails.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Turn the ignition key off, let it sit for a moment then turn the key to 'on' but do not crank the engine over, listen for 'whirl electric' motor type sound from your gas tank area. If no sound is heard there's a good chance your fuel pump has gone south. if functioning correctly the whirling sound would be the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rails.
OK awesome Thanks will try that now. By the way the car is half full tank.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

No sound that I can hear. Darn repair gonna be costly. :(Sorry for interrupting this thread to the original poster BSA.
Fuel pump easy to install?

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No sound that I can hear. Darn repair gonna be costly. :(Sorry for interrupting this thread to the original poster BSA.
Yeah, unfortunately you are probably looking at $1000 or more if it is in fact the fuel pump. Not sure how old your car is but be aware of the point of diminishing return. Old Hyundais and KIA's were basically throw away vehicles after 10-15 years. Good Luck !!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, unfortunately you are probably looking at $1000 or more if it is in fact the fuel pump. Not sure how old your car is but be aware of the point of diminishing return. Old Hyundais and KIA's were basically throw away vehicles after 10-15 years. Good Luck !!
Says it's in the trunk:
Sold here:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
well that doesn't look too bad, perhaps Rock Auto can hook you up with a new one and you have a buddy with tools and knowledge to change it !

Again, do the diagnostics to be sure !

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Locate and check the fuel pump relay before diving into the pump itself.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, locate and check fuse before anything. If that is good, move on to next point.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
well that doesn't look too bad, perhaps Rock Auto can hook you up with a new one and you have a buddy with tools and knowledge to change it !

Again, do the diagnostics to be sure !
I just wanted to chime in here-- RockAuto is awesome! I have bought real-deal performance parts from them that cost just slightly more than economy parts at O'Reily's.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Called and joined AAA to see if they can do a diagnostic test. Wish me luck!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The AAA guy came. He says it's not the Alternator or the Fuel pump. He said could be Miss Fire or Crank Position Center. I don't qualify for a tow till Monday. I will get a tow and go to Auto Zone to get the Miss fire fixed and get another diagnostic beforehand it's free there. Thoughts?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn't be the alternator. You'll know it’s the alternator when the lights go out and the engine stops and the damn thing leaves on the side of the road on a dark night. Usually the engine has to fire up to actually misfire. You say it was “chugging”. Was it cranking slowly? Sometimes a bad starter can be mistaken for a bad battery. Ever replace a starter? You almost have to be a contortionist if you can’t get it up on a rack. Anyway, hope you get it going soon. Tow truck will be around Monday. Enjoy the weekend.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Miss Fire or Crank Position Center.
A misfire means it's like a heart skipping beats ... but it still beats. The term is crank position 'sensor' and on our car, bad crank sensors threw a check engine light but didn't stop the car from running, not to mention actually not starting ... which is not to be confused with the motor not turning over by way of a battery powered starter: what I think you referred to as 'chugging'?

If the starter is turning the motor over (and over and over and over) but the motor won't 'start' ... as in continue running, your starter is fine. So fuel and spark need to be looked at. I don't know anything about Kias.

It's likely the AAA tech could hear the fuel pump turn on when he turned the key to the run position. The next thing to look at is the coil pack if you have a coil pack. No way you still have a distributor ... but either would be at the opposite end of your spark plugs ... unless it's a diesel. Ha ha, j/k kind of.

If you don't have spark plug wires, then it's coil on plug. Towing it to Auto Zone will get you a free diagnostic of stored trouble codes ... but the AAA guy? No code reader? I wouldn't tow a car to a parts store for a free code check. No way is that worth the hassle.

Fo Sho you need to recharge your battery by now. Any service station should be able to do that for a few bucks.

It could just be bad gas, especially if the vehicle sat, unused before finally making its way to you.

It might have a fuel filter ... cars are fun.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
He had no code reader, but checked what he could without it. Damn dunno what to do. I know I'll get hammered with a large bill from a repair place. Do you think I should get it towed to an autherize AAA garage? I just don't want them finding 5 other made up Sh-t from a repair shop. I really need to go to work and pay bills. Please help guys!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you think I should get it towed to an autherize AAA garage?
Find out from other people who takes care of them.

You can buy your own code reader pretty cheap from what I heard.

Did your car sit for a long period before making its way to you? Is there a fuel filter?
Do you have a coil or a distributor?
Are the wires from 2005?

Pull a wire off the plug and hold it close to the block to see if it sparks while a friend turns the key. Find a way to check that there is a timing belt still intact. Is the belt from 2005? If it's loose enough to skip teeth the timing could be the problem.

But a AAA garage is no sign of competence or integrity.

There is no such thing as a free puppy.

BTW, the ignition wires carry thousands and thousands of volts. I don't think it will kill you but if it does I bet it would hurt the whole time. Good luck.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
He had no code reader, but checked what he could without it. Damn dunno what to do.
btw: OBD2 scanner doesn't have to be expensive:
you'd need two parts:
a) OBD2/BT dongle like this one:https://www.amazon.com/obdator-Bluetooth-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B074DWH8JR/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=elm327+bluetooth+obd2&qid=1631468144&sr=8-5
b) OBD2 tool for smartphones like this one (ios shown, but plenty of them for android as well)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis