New to home theatre

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Definitive Technology has a way of overinflating there specs. Its well known in the audio community. Not that they don't make good products but this tendency of there's to inflate specs is why I steer away from them. I actually would go with the Polk either one would work the one you showed me or the HTS12. The new Polk sub recieved a good review on AVS forum. Both Polk subs are solid starter subs will give you great performance below 30hz not flat to 20 but still down below 30hz. Although the definitive subs will still be better then your original selections. The salesman did get that part right
But try out the definitive subs since you can bring them back who knows you just might like them. You have nothing to lose. If you like them you can buy later when the kids are older like you said get something better

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
But try out the definitive subs since you can bring them back who knows you just might like them. You have nothing to lose. If you like them you can buy later when the kids are older like you said get something better
I get the kids can be trained as that’s usually what I tell friends lol but sometimes sh!t happens.

I’ll try them out. And if I don’t like em then I’ll take them back.

I think the problem was I sent the wife in to the city to get the Polk and then he said why not these as they are better. And I’m trying to finish the house so we can move in. So she calls and he tells me they are better and blah blah blah. I honestly got sick of listening to him so when he gave me the out to bring them back I said ok send those and I hung up.

I appreciate the help from this forum.

So definitive is a brand in the us as well?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I get the kids can be trained as that’s usually what I tell friends lol but sometimes sh!t happens.

I think the problem was I sent the wife in to the city to get the Polk and then he said why not these as they are better. And I’m trying to finish the house so we can move in. So she calls and he tells me they are better and blah blah blah. I honestly got sick of listening to him so when he gave me the out to bring them back I said ok send those and I hung up.

Yeah they are they are not that bad but a little pricey for my tastes at some of there price points I just think you can get way better for the buck. Especially with the way they fudge there specs but they aren't the only audio company to do this to be fair but I won't buy from a company that does this I value strongly transperency with information on purchases of this nature. That's why it's important to do your own research. Also what sales guys think is great and what you find out is really best for you on your research can be too different things
Best of luck too you with the subs! Give us your impressions after you set them up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

P.S. I never realized Fluance is based out of where your at. For the money especially starting off with a starter set they are a great option to look into. As one of our members suggested I strongly recommend you check them out. They have a full range of speakers from towers to bookshelves to subs. All great options for there price point

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You're a Canadian too. What I would suggest to you would be to try a pair of Fluance DB10 or DB12 powered subs. Both are reasonably priced and will give you a solid and musical bass down to 35 Hz. There are previews of both products on this site:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db12

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db10

Fluance is a Canadian manufacturer and, last year, they were shipping their products for free and you had the opportunity to return them if they did not suit your needs.

I am confident that they would perform as well as the one you were considering to purchase. It's a real advantage to be able to try speakers and having the opportunity to return them.
That was great advice Fluance is a great option for him. Especially since they're based off of where he is at.
Heck Shady gave a great review of there signature towers which shows a very solid tower both in looks measurements and performance especially for the PRICE. $700 bucks for a pair of those towers U.S. is just unreal. Especially in a big room like his on a budget those towers would do well.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
This definitive sub looks like the soundstage one I returned lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern

Which outputs do I connect the ceiling speakers on. Since they are heights but are replacing the side surrounds And the other 2 are back surrounds?
So would the middle pair be heights and the back pair be back surrounds?

Also I’ve read there’s no point hooking up the rear firing speaker that’s in my loud speakers.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Which outputs do I connect the ceiling speakers on. Since they are heights but are replacing the side surrounds And the other 2 are back surrounds?
So would the middle pair be heights and the back pair be back surrounds?

Also I’ve read there’s no point hooking up the rear firing speaker that’s in my loud speakers.
The ones replacing the side surrounds would go to the “surround” L/R terminals, and as you said the rears would go the the “rear surround” terminals. None of them will be used as heights despite being in the ceiling. If you wired them as such you’d have unsatisfying surround performance.

What’s the loudspeakers?

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
The ones replacing the side surrounds would go to the “surround” L/R terminals, and as you said the rears would go the the “rear surround” terminals. None of them will be used as heights despite being in the ceiling. If you wired them as such you’d have unsatisfying surround performance.

What’s the loudspeakers?
Ok I will wire them like this. The loudspeakers are soundstage signature think I quoted model earlier in a post.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok I will wire them like this. The loudspeakers are soundstage signature think I quoted model earlier in a post.
I guess if you wanted to try it you might sad well. I’m not a fan of bipolar speakers but many people are. They’ll take some futzing around with placement to get right. Curious what you find out wether you like or not.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
I guess if you wanted to try it you might sad well. I’m not a fan of bipolar speakers but many people are. They’ll take some futzing around with placement to get right. Curious what you find out wether you like or not.
I can give them a try after initial setup. I think this receiver uses a mic to detect speaker placement.

I will see what I think and then maybe attach the brass jumpers and see. But I would expect a bit of sound delay. I don’t think my receiver would fire these off another channel unless they owuld now be considered heights.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can give them a try after initial setup. I think this receiver uses a mic to detect speaker placement.

I will see what I think and then maybe attach the brass jumpers and see. But I would expect a bit of sound delay. I don’t think my receiver would fire these off another channel unless they owuld now be considered heights.
Taking a guess but I think you could Biwire them.
Ironically, I’m hooking up a new AVR in my living room! 7.3.4!!!

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Taking a guess but I think you could Biwire them.
Ironically, I’m hooking up a new AVR in my living room! 7.3.4!!!
Haha we just moved into the house yesterday. I couldn’t resist getting the new tv and system running.

This will be 7.2. I would like to try Atmos but because she didn’t want bookshelves for the kids to knock over I just put ceilings in.

Biwire? That would just be using the supplied jumpers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha we just moved into the house yesterday. I couldn’t resist getting the new tv and system running.

This will be 7.2. I would like to try Atmos but because she didn’t want bookshelves for the kids to knock over I just put ceilings in.

Biwire? That would just be using the supplied jumpers?
Lol. Sounds like me. I would’ve had that set up first too!!!
Actually depending on your avr(sorry can’t remember which one) you can run a second set of speaker cables to the second terminals. But, since you’re going 7.2 you might have the extra channels to do it. Also, I wouldn’t ordinarily recommend “buy wiring” but they’re bipolar. Not that it would sound different but just because you could. I would just try the jumpers.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Lol. Sounds like me. I would’ve had that set up first too!!!
Actually depending on your avr(sorry can’t remember which one) you can run a second set of speaker cables to the second terminals. But, since you’re going 7.2 you might have the extra channels to do it. Also, I wouldn’t ordinarily recommend “buy wiring” but they’re bipolar. Not that it would sound different but just because you could. I would just try the jumpers.
It’s a pioneer vsx -lx303. 9.2 and atmos capable.

Just gonna put transformer on here with the boy and for some reason it shows the 7 speakers but not the sw on the display and I have no sound from the subs. Yet the mcacc used them to adjust everything in initial setup.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s a pioneer vsx -lx303. 9.2 and atmos capable.

Just gonna put transformer on here with the boy and for some reason it shows the 7 speakers but not the sw on the display and I have no sound from the subs. Yet the mcacc used them to adjust everything in initial setup.
What sound mode? Is it in direct or something? Should be multichannel or something iirc. I have a pioneer in my bedroom....
Try the “surround” button.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Ya I’ve been switching between surrounds and it won’t show the symbol. This thing can with no manual for some reason.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
What sound mode? Is it in direct or something? Should be multichannel or something iirc. I have a pioneer in my bedroom....
Try the “surround” button.
Have it in Dolby digital surround right now. No sub noise. But in menu I can send sound to the subs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis