New to home theatre

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Hmmmmmm yeah I can totally understand the situation your kids and wife definetly require a lot of sacrifices. Hell I'm single and had to make a lot of compromises bases on room layout alone.

Lot of good info there let me wake up and get back at ya need to think some off that info over
Nm I’m seeing things lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nm I’m seeing things lol
Okay sorry I've been busy today. I know that if you need to use all in ceilings there's a way to do it for the surrounds and rear surrounds you just need to Google it it will show you where to place them

Your going to upgrade the system when the kids are older so you got that covered.

What I'm concerned about is subs. Man I'm not trying to bag on them but those new ones are only rated down to 40hz. There are tower speakers that can do that. For that price of 400 you could go with the rsl speedwoofer 10 sub and it'll blow those out of the water. Hell the new polk HT12's are rated flat to 28hz and are at that price. Since price isn't really an issue and you gotta compromise so much with the surrounds you don't want to skip your bass.

HSU Rhythmik SVS all have subs at that price range that would just SMASH those subs. Since you want this for movies and your surrounds are out of position on the ceiling you want to make up for it with quality bass. Duals with any of those companies would just dust those your buying at that price range or close to to that price.

You ideally want a sub that can play flat down to 20hz. And those subs your buying can't go below 40hz. Your going to be missing out on a lot of content.Believe me I know when I went from budget subs to SVS subs it was a whole new world of reality. I never knew what I was missing.

With any of those companies you buy something at that price range set it up near field due to that room size your going to be very happy with what you get. Those subs your buying will leave you wanting for more.

Unless you just want those budget subs until the kids grow up then upgrade later. Anyways thats my 2 cents. Good luck with the build can't wait to see the finished results and your system when you set it up!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh also monoprice has that 10inch sub for 500 that s great at that price range. Ok ok I'll stop now I promise! Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's definetly a step in the right direction Id take 2 of those over what your getting any day. Where are you located if I were you I'd get a hold of HSU SVS Rhythmik and Monoprice see if they don't charge extra to ship where your at or have a vendor in your area SVS has gotten so big there all over the world practically now. As much as those polks are a step up over the ones your buying the 10 inch PB 1000 would just run over those polks. They offer a 5 year warranty on drivers and amps bill of rights a trade up program and they're customer service is stellar. There's always someone to answer the phone and answer any questions you have. I upgraded from there PB 2000's to these beauties the PB 4000's using there upgrade program. My rooms so big. They also have an outlet store on there sure where you can get good discounts on there subs. Put them closer to the price range your at. All those outlet subs get the same warranty trade up and Bill of rights. But I tell you what those Polks are definetly a step in the right direction.

Here's a pic of the 4000's
20181022_210818.jpg20181008_201746.jpg20181022_210831.jpg20180915_184111.jpg
I have them set up near field know behind the couches and it's man I don't even have the words it's just badass

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But if that visions is the only place you can order from those rti polls are definetly a step in the right direction they'll smash those other ones you were gonna get for sure

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Get those over the hts polls if that's what you go with the new signature polk subs are actually a step down from those

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Get those over the hts polls if that's what you go with the new signature polk subs are actually a step down from those
The pb2000 are $1079 up here from electronics for less.

Because of the package and price I got I imagine I should try stick with what visions has. Or maybe I didn’t get such a good deal lol

I don’t think they will have issue with swapping the soundstage for the Polk Rti as they are at the same price.

So the hts even though more expensive are a step down from the rti?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The pb2000 are $1079 up here from electronics for less.

Because of the package and price I got I imagine I should try stick with what visions has. Or maybe I didn’t get such a good deal lol

I don’t think they will have issue with swapping the soundstage for the Polk Rti as they are at the same price.

So the hts even though more expensive are a step down from the rti?
Yikes you guys sure get a raw deal on your audio!

Yeah since you plan on upgrading later there's nothing wrong with using what they gave you for now since its a good price.

Yeah the polk hts 12 are a step down from the rti subs. Less RMS amp power can't dug quiet as deep. But both polk subs rti or hts either one are still a hell of a lot better then the ones they have sent you. Those subs just won't even come close to giving you the punch you want for home theater. The polks will do a lot better.

Like you said later you can upgrade.

I went from a polk system to SVS speakers subs and rsl c34e ceiling speakers for atmos. A 7.2.4 setup. And it's awesome. But I enjoyed the polks tho. They were a great system to start with and learn from.

This first setup can be the same for you. You'll learn a lot from it and down the road know what you really want to get when your ready

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I need to dig through that site you posted and see what they have I can maybe show you some good speakers and stuff to consider. Just cuz it's budget doesnt mean it can't sound good.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I would also check www.Canuckaudiomart.com for used equipment. I bought a bunch of stuff off of there and it is a good way to get goof gear at near half price. I found that those who are willing to put money into gear will generally be taking care of it. These people are usually passionate about their stuff and take good care of it.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
I would also check www.Canuckaudiomart.com for used equipment. I bought a bunch of stuff off of there and it is a good way to get goof gear at near half price. I found that those who are willing to put money into gear will generally be taking care of it. These people are usually passionate about their stuff and take good care of it.
I’ll take a look there.

What about these subs?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Okay sorry I've been busy today. I know that if you need to use all in ceilings there's a way to do it for the surrounds and rear surrounds you just need to Google it it will show you where to place them

Your going to upgrade the system when the kids are older so you got that covered.

What I'm concerned about is subs. Man I'm not trying to bag on them but those new ones are only rated down to 40hz. There are tower speakers that can do that. For that price of 400 you could go with the rsl speedwoofer 10 sub and it'll blow those out of the water. Hell the new polk HT12's are rated flat to 28hz and are at that price. Since price isn't really an issue and you gotta compromise so much with the surrounds you don't want to skip your bass.

HSU Rhythmik SVS all have subs at that price range that would just SMASH those subs. Since you want this for movies and your surrounds are out of position on the ceiling you want to make up for it with quality bass. Duals with any of those companies would just dust those your buying at that price range or close to to that price.

You ideally want a sub that can play flat down to 20hz. And those subs your buying can't go below 40hz. Your going to be missing out on a lot of content.Believe me I know when I went from budget subs to SVS subs it was a whole new world of reality. I never knew what I was missing.

With any of those companies you buy something at that price range set it up near field due to that room size your going to be very happy with what you get. Those subs your buying will leave you wanting for more.

Unless you just want those budget subs until the kids grow up then upgrade later. Anyways thats my 2 cents. Good luck with the build can't wait to see the finished results and your system when you set it up!
As a matter of fact, in y opinion woofers that don't respond below 30 Hz are not subs. Period.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Loudspeaker manufacturers, even well established ones, exaggerate when it comes to specify low frequency performance. This subwoofer driver has only a 10 inch cone and I doubt that it will put out a strong output at 18 Hz even with the use of a passive radiator.

However, your need would all depend on what will be your use for a subwoofer. If it's only for music listening, you should most likely be satisfied unless you like to listen to pipe organ music which will often need a subwoofer to go down to 16 Hz, the fundamental resonance of a 32 foot pipe. Also, if it's for watching action movies,then you will need a more beefy sub such as a 15" driver that will cost you at least double what you intended to spend.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Loudspeaker manufacturers, even well established ones, exaggerate when it comes to specify low frequency performance. This subwoofer driver has only a 10 inch cone and I doubt that it will put out a strong output at 18 Hz even with the use of a passive radiator.

However, your need would all depend on what will be your use for a subwoofer. If it's only for music listening, you should most likely be satisfied unless you like to listen to pipe organ music which will often need a subwoofer to go down to 16 Hz, the fundamental resonance of a 32 foot pipe. Also, if it's for watching action movies,then you will need a more beefy sub such as a 15" driver that will cost you at least double what you intended to spend.
So how do you weed through the bs of what’s real and what isn’t for this stuff then?

I will have 2 subs and like mentioned above I have 2 very young boys that will be most likely damaging my stuff. So at this time I don’t necessarily need the best sound although I’d like, I can see them just wrecking a more expensive sub lol

Would these 2 subs have a nice sound for movies and tv? I want to know the subs there but until the kids are gone I don’t “need” house shaking bass. But I want a good hit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So how do you weed through the bs of what’s real and what isn’t for this stuff then?

I will have 2 subs and like mentioned above I have 2 very young boys that will be most likely damaging my stuff. So at this time I don’t necessarily need the best sound although I’d like, I can see them just wrecking a more expensive sub lol

Would these 2 subs have a nice sound for movies and tv? I want to know the subs there but until the kids are gone I don’t “need” house shaking bass. But I want a good hit.
Pretty sure those subs won’t be very useful for HT in that sized room. Also, kids are trainable. You can tell them no. Lol. I tell mine all the time!
as far as sorting the bs, that’s tougher than training kids. Experience goes a long ways, but with out much experience look for third party reviews that focus on measurements and performance(like Audioholics!) and not waxy fluff pieces.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

You're a Canadian too. What I would suggest to you would be to try a pair of Fluance DB10 or DB12 powered subs. Both are reasonably priced and will give you a solid and musical bass down to 35 Hz. There are previews of both products on this site:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db12

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db10

Fluance is a Canadian manufacturer and, last year, they were shipping their products for free and you had the opportunity to return them if they did not suit your needs.

I am confident that they would perform as well as the one you were considering to purchase. It's a real advantage to be able to try speakers and having the opportunity to return them.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
You're a Canadian too. What I would suggest to you would be to try a pair of Fluance DB10 or DB12 powered subs. Both are reasonably priced and will give you a solid and musical bass down to 35 Hz. There are previews of both products on this site:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db12

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/fluance-db10

Fluance is a Canadian manufacturer and, last year, they were shipping their products for free and you had the opportunity to return them if they did not suit your needs.

I am confident that they would perform as well as the one you were considering to purchase. It's a real advantage to be able to try speakers and having the opportunity to return them.
I was going to try the Polk that was suggest earlier but the manager at vision strongly suggested these are a better sub. So with his words of “if you don’t like them bring hen back and we will swap them for something else, but you won’t be back” I have bought quite a few things there and had minor issues they were always helpful and quick to fix any issues so I’m not worried he won’t keep his word. These definitive technology and the soundstage speakers I have seem to be along the same lines as the flaunce. Kind of an off brand.

There used to be a brand up here called nuance as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I was going to try the Polk that was suggest earlier but the manager at vision strongly suggested these are a better sub. So with his words of “if you don’t like them bring hen back and we will swap them for something else, but you won’t be back” I have bought quite a few things there and had minor issues they were always helpful and quick to fix any issues so I’m not worried he won’t keep his word. These definitive technology and the soundstage speakers I have seem to be along the same lines as the flaunce. Kind of an off brand.

There used to be a brand up here called nuance as well.
Definitive Technology has a way of overinflating there specs. Its well known in the audio community. Not that they don't make good products but this tendency of there's to inflate specs is why I steer away from them. I actually would go with the Polk either one would work the one you showed me or the HTS12. The new Polk sub recieved a good review on AVS forum. Both Polk subs are solid starter subs will give you great performance below 30hz not flat to 20 but still down below 30hz. Although the definitive subs will still be better then your original selections. The salesman did get that part right

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis