New to home theatre

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
I’ve been reading their suggestions for that and atmos. Just wasn’t sure how ceiling speakers would change location when replacing back surrounds. I can prob follow that easily as my ceiling has nothing in it. Would there be any benefit you think to adding 2 more in ceilings? Since my receiver is capable.

I will probably switch to dual 10” subs maybe if I convince the old lady to let me put one on the floor prob somewhere near the couch and one at front wallnwhere tv is.

Drunkpenguin

Drunkpenguin

Senior Audioholic
Ratings
545 3
4 surrounds should be plenty. Doubling up speakers is usually only beneficial if you have multiple rows of seats that youre trying to even out. Even with my 2 rows, I still only use 4 surrounds. In my case I built the system for the first row. The 2nd row is full of compromises but that row is rarely ever used and I only stick the people I dont like back there. :)

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
4 surrounds should be plenty. Doubling up speakers is usually only beneficial if you have multiple rows of seats that youre trying to even out. Even with my 2 rows, I still only use 4 surrounds. In my case I built the system for the first row. The 2nd row is full of compromises but that row is rarely ever used and I only stick the people I dont like back there. :)
Are the receivers now a days capable to figure out how far away my surrounds are? And acccpunt for that? I believe I read that it will but not sure if it’s only for atmos

TechHDS

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Ratings
725 2 12
Attached is a photo of placement. Couch is approx. I might put a sectional in there or whatever. That being said with the small kids I don’t know if I’ll ever have an awesome setup that I can use. Not until their older.

I don’t want to build the columns out. They are oversized tsl columns I paid big money for to finish exposed. I love the look of them. Had it been I was going to trim them out I would most likely go that direction. There is a bulkhead above them to hide the beam but the wife is against hanging a bookshelf off it. And prob isn’t much point of framing a wall of can’t et an in wall on the left.
Nice! Wish I had a home being built! Man once you get done with the build and your system up and running you’ll be living the dream! Oh get your system man!! Sell off a Couple of them children’s!! ;) Just picking bro. :)

Mike

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
Nice! Wish I had a home being built! Man once you get done with the build and your system up and running you’ll be living the dream! Oh get your system man!! Sell off a Couple of them children’s!! ;) Just picking bro. :)

Mike
Haha I’m glad I can do it. My plumber hit a deer on his motor bike and no electricians local to do it. So on top of building the house with one other guy I have to add that trade work to my list.

I’m hoping in a year or two the kids won’t be as loud so I can actually watch something lol or ill Just kick them outside.

Drunkpenguin

Drunkpenguin

Senior Audioholic
Ratings
545 3
Kids dont go outside any more. Better sound proof!

I also built my house with 1 other guy. Me and father built 2 houses, one for each of us. It's the most rewarding thing ever after you move in! My house is 10 years old now and sometimes I look around and think, did I really do all this? :) I envy you, this is a fun time right now.

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
Kids dont go outside any more. Better sound proof!

I also built my house with 1 other guy. Me and father built 2 houses, one for each of us. It's the most rewarding thing ever after you move in! My house is 10 years old now and sometimes I look around and think, did I really do all this? :) I envy you, this is a fun time right now.
Haha I wanted a single story and my wife said where will the kids go..... I replied outside. Apparently that’s not good enough. I won’t complain too much though it got me a a few things. Nice gun room and office and a reason to buy a bigger tv and some speakers.

I build for a living so kinda like another day at the office. Just stressful trying to get good prices on everything, keep everything going and work at the same time. But your right. It’s great to see your work come into being.

Drunkpenguin

Drunkpenguin

Senior Audioholic
Ratings
545 3
My dad built his first house 40 years ago so he had a little experience. I had never done any construction at all, but somehow this plan came together and we went for it. Alot of reading and studying and there were some days where we had to go look at homes being built to see how they did stuff. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. We built his house first so we learned a lot by the time we got to mine. His house creaks and cracks on windy days lol. But theyre still standing!

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
My dad built his first house 40 years ago so he had a little experience. I had never done any construction at all, but somehow this plan came together and we went for it. Alot of reading and studying and there were some days where we had to go look at homes being built to see how they did stuff. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. We built his house first so we learned a lot by the time we got to mine. His house creaks and cracks on windy days lol. But theyre still standing!
A lot of work is correct. i am having lots of trouble with my build because I decided to use products that aren’t common use around here and no one supports it lol

N

nbk13nw

Junior Audioholic
Ratings
Are the receivers now a days capable to figure out how far away my surrounds are? And acccpunt for that? I believe I read that it will but not sure if it’s only for atmos
Yes. Most new ones will adjust for distance / delay. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.

A

Aburdett

Enthusiast
Ratings
Yes. Most new ones will adjust for distance / delay. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.
Right on should help lol

Not much info on the brand of speakers I bought but I’ll do some more digging to see if building a sealed box for the ceiling speakers is a good idea. I would expect it to maybe add to the bass but also read the ceiling speakers are designed to not need a box

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis