New to home theatre

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Well I’m new to home theatre. In the process of building my house and wanted a nice little setup in the basement. I’ve bought a receiver and some speakers and sub. And looking for some help or advice on which way to go. I don’t really have a good place for rear surrounds at ear height. So I’m wondering if I can do a layout of fronts/center and then 4 or 6 ceiling speakers to get a nice surround sound effect. Dolby atmos layout or others that I find don’t mention not using floor or bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds.

I’m very new to this and am confident in much that I do but have read so much crap from one persons opinion to another. Also have bought a single sub(with 3- 8” subs in one box. Thinking a better option may be ceiling mount? Looking forward to learning thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The problem you’ll have is that Atmos needs a bed layer and a height layer. If all the speakers are at the same(ceiling) height, Atmos won’t work. If you just wanted a nice traditional setup, you could put the surrounds in the ceiling, however it will be a compromise. What is the problem for surround placement? Just curious, since maybe a brainstorm session might come up with good results.
Also, what subwoofer is that? Can’t recall one with 3-8’s in it. Fwiw, subwoofer and 8” are imo, mutually exclusive and I would recommend shopping around if budget allows.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
The brand of the sub is soundstage. I was originally gonna put 2 - 10” subs. But the wife isn’t particularly excited about them being placed in the room. Which is why I wasn’t going to do rears. As it sits right now I’ve purchased the receiver. It’s a pioneer vsx-lx303. The front an center speakers. And 4 in ceiling speakers as well as the sub. I can return anything no issues there.

I wouldn’t say I need top of the line. Just want a good sounding system for movies. The speakers were cheap and I guess if don’t do the job I can upgrade down the line. Or maybe someone in Canada knows a better option.

Definitely interested in some brain storming. I don’t need Dolby atmos. If a good 7.1/7.2 or 9.1/9.2 can be achieved I’m fine with that. The front loud speakers have a set of rear firing as well but I doubt I’ll hook them up. I don’t think they will be useful.

The rec room I’m using downstairs is 37’ long but the couch will most likely be around 13-16’ from tv. And the room is 16’ wide to the beam and then it’s a bulkhead that’s a foot lower and then a 5’ wide hallway if you call it that. Only 2 posts that seperate to create the hallway.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! 37’ long!

I understand the waf but don’t forget it’s your space to. I’m not familiar with the brand, but that’s a big space even for a pair of 10’s.
The other speakers might be ok since they work mostly direct with the listener. Subwoofers however see the whole space.
I’ll be thinking...

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Maybe the sub setup nearfield, behind the couch? Might be the only way at to really engage the listener in that room with that choice.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Can you use in walls for the surrounds? They pass WAF and work pretty well for that duty. Then use some in ceilings for atmos and enjoy the ride!

Atmos is worth it.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
I can’t post links yet until 5 posts

Here’s the speakers I purchased. 4 of the ceiling ones. 16 gaug on ceiling wire and 16 gauge monster wire for fronts and center.

I was planning on building a box for the speakers on ceiling as well but read mixed info on wether that’s a good idea. I will be insulation joist cavaties to help main floor noise.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Can you use in walls for the surrounds? They pass WAF and work pretty well for that duty. Then use some in ceilings for atmos and enjoy the ride!

Atmos is worth it.
The wall to the right doesn’t really exist. I can’t seem to attach a photo off my iPhone. Says the photo is too large for server. I’ll try downsize.
The left wall is an icf wall. And to the right there is 2 posts separating a hallway and the tv room. So it would have to be in the hallway wall which is another 5’ over.

My receiver is capable of 9.2 so I guess it would be 5.2.4 if I could setup the Dolby way.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
What about a 2x4 wall hugging the foundation wall to give you a place for speakers?
Not sure where your seating will be, but you could also consider making wider decorative columns to house surrounds on that side.

If none of that is doable, theres nothing wrong with a traditional 7.2 setup with in ceilings as surrounds. Its a compromise, but still works. The only advice I would give you, as someone who also built their own house and their own theater, is once you get in there and start watching movies you might start wondering "what if". My theater has been reborn a few times over the years.

If nothing else run some wires to places you might want speakers some day. That way at least you have a chance if you decide do change things later. I would also run multiple subwoofer cables to at least every corner of the room. You wont know the best place for subs until the room is finished.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What about a 2x4 wall hugging the foundation wall to give you a place for speakers?
Not sure where your seating will be, but you could also consider making wider decorative columns to house surrounds on that side.

If none of that is doable, theres nothing wrong with a traditional 7.2 setup with in ceilings as surrounds. Its a compromise, but still works. The only advice I would give you, as someone who also built their own house and their own theater, is once you get in there and start watching movies you might start wondering "what if". My theater has been reborn a few times over the years.

If nothing else run some wires to places you might want speakers some day. That way at least you have a chance if you decide do change things later. I would also run multiple subwoofer cables to at least every corner of the room. You wont know the best place for subs until the room is finished.
This is exactly what I was thinking. To my wife’s chagrin, we have a column built specifically for holding my right side surround(and 3 light switches). Works great. Only thing is, how far back from your LP(listening position) is it.
this is an older pic before I went to an in wall side surround as part of my Atmos negotiations LOL!
Here’s now. Under construction.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Attached is a photo of placement. Couch is approx. I might put a sectional in there or whatever. That being said with the small kids I don’t know if I’ll ever have an awesome setup that I can use. Not until their older.

I don’t want to build the columns out. They are oversized tsl columns I paid big money for to finish exposed. I love the look of them. Had it been I was going to trim them out I would most likely go that direction. There is a bulkhead above them to hide the beam but the wife is against hanging a bookshelf off it. And prob isn’t much point of framing a wall of can’t et an in wall on the left.

Attachments

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
This is exactly what I was thinking. To my wife’s chagrin, we have a column built specifically for holding my right side surround(and 3 light switches). Works great. Only thing is, how far back from your LP(listening position) is it.
this is an older pic before I went to an in wall side surround as part of my Atmos negotiations LOL!
Here’s now. Under construction.
My posts are 8’ apart so if the couch was set at 15 or 16’ it would in-line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@William Lemmerhirt

I like the column, it looks nice! Tell your wife I said so. In fact, print this up and pin it above the speaker lol!
Lol! I appreciate that, and I just might make a sign for that. She’ll be like whaaat?
heres the back of the room actually finished.
Ok, hijack over!

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern

Where would you place your speakers in relation to the couch to create a 7.2? Would the back surrounds be a bit behind the couch and closer together?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis