New to home theatre

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
I’ve been reading their suggestions for that and atmos. Just wasn’t sure how ceiling speakers would change location when replacing back surrounds. I can prob follow that easily as my ceiling has nothing in it. Would there be any benefit you think to adding 2 more in ceilings? Since my receiver is capable.

I will probably switch to dual 10” subs maybe if I convince the old lady to let me put one on the floor prob somewhere near the couch and one at front wallnwhere tv is.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
4 surrounds should be plenty. Doubling up speakers is usually only beneficial if you have multiple rows of seats that youre trying to even out. Even with my 2 rows, I still only use 4 surrounds. In my case I built the system for the first row. The 2nd row is full of compromises but that row is rarely ever used and I only stick the people I dont like back there. :)

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
4 surrounds should be plenty. Doubling up speakers is usually only beneficial if you have multiple rows of seats that youre trying to even out. Even with my 2 rows, I still only use 4 surrounds. In my case I built the system for the first row. The 2nd row is full of compromises but that row is rarely ever used and I only stick the people I dont like back there. :)
Are the receivers now a days capable to figure out how far away my surrounds are? And acccpunt for that? I believe I read that it will but not sure if it’s only for atmos

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Attached is a photo of placement. Couch is approx. I might put a sectional in there or whatever. That being said with the small kids I don’t know if I’ll ever have an awesome setup that I can use. Not until their older.

I don’t want to build the columns out. They are oversized tsl columns I paid big money for to finish exposed. I love the look of them. Had it been I was going to trim them out I would most likely go that direction. There is a bulkhead above them to hide the beam but the wife is against hanging a bookshelf off it. And prob isn’t much point of framing a wall of can’t et an in wall on the left.
Nice! Wish I had a home being built! Man once you get done with the build and your system up and running you’ll be living the dream! Oh get your system man!! Sell off a Couple of them children’s!! ;) Just picking bro. :)

Mike

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Nice! Wish I had a home being built! Man once you get done with the build and your system up and running you’ll be living the dream! Oh get your system man!! Sell off a Couple of them children’s!! ;) Just picking bro. :)

Mike
Haha I’m glad I can do it. My plumber hit a deer on his motor bike and no electricians local to do it. So on top of building the house with one other guy I have to add that trade work to my list.

I’m hoping in a year or two the kids won’t be as loud so I can actually watch something lol or ill Just kick them outside.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Kids dont go outside any more. Better sound proof!

I also built my house with 1 other guy. Me and father built 2 houses, one for each of us. It's the most rewarding thing ever after you move in! My house is 10 years old now and sometimes I look around and think, did I really do all this? :) I envy you, this is a fun time right now.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Kids dont go outside any more. Better sound proof!

I also built my house with 1 other guy. Me and father built 2 houses, one for each of us. It's the most rewarding thing ever after you move in! My house is 10 years old now and sometimes I look around and think, did I really do all this? :) I envy you, this is a fun time right now.
Haha I wanted a single story and my wife said where will the kids go..... I replied outside. Apparently that’s not good enough. I won’t complain too much though it got me a a few things. Nice gun room and office and a reason to buy a bigger tv and some speakers.

I build for a living so kinda like another day at the office. Just stressful trying to get good prices on everything, keep everything going and work at the same time. But your right. It’s great to see your work come into being.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
My dad built his first house 40 years ago so he had a little experience. I had never done any construction at all, but somehow this plan came together and we went for it. Alot of reading and studying and there were some days where we had to go look at homes being built to see how they did stuff. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. We built his house first so we learned a lot by the time we got to mine. His house creaks and cracks on windy days lol. But theyre still standing!

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
My dad built his first house 40 years ago so he had a little experience. I had never done any construction at all, but somehow this plan came together and we went for it. Alot of reading and studying and there were some days where we had to go look at homes being built to see how they did stuff. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. We built his house first so we learned a lot by the time we got to mine. His house creaks and cracks on windy days lol. But theyre still standing!
A lot of work is correct. i am having lots of trouble with my build because I decided to use products that aren’t common use around here and no one supports it lol

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Are the receivers now a days capable to figure out how far away my surrounds are? And acccpunt for that? I believe I read that it will but not sure if it’s only for atmos
Yes. Most new ones will adjust for distance / delay. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Yes. Most new ones will adjust for distance / delay. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.
Right on should help lol

Not much info on the brand of speakers I bought but I’ll do some more digging to see if building a sealed box for the ceiling speakers is a good idea. I would expect it to maybe add to the bass but also read the ceiling speakers are designed to not need a box

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
For some holes in the ceiling for speakers. Picked up everything today and they messed up and gave me an extra set of ceiling speakers...... should I cut more holes? And try fish more wire? Also this is the wire I got for the ceiling speakers. https://m.visions.ca/#/home-productdetail?productId=32689

Hopefully this wire is good

Is it worth it to add another set of in ceilings?

Attachments

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
I also have a 6’ wide entertainment stand just a short one for under the tv that will hold all my equipment. Sat recover and the surround receiver. But it gets hot in there. Does anyone have any experience with cooling fans that are quiet?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to try real hard to stay on your like list

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I also have a 6’ wide entertainment stand just a short one for under the tv that will hold all my equipment. Sat recover and the surround receiver. But it gets hot in there. Does anyone have any experience with cooling fans that are quiet?
Congratulations on your new home!!!!

How do you plan to have that room laid out? As a dedicated theater room or multipurpose living room area?

How big is the room? What are the room measurements?

Are you planning on using those overhead speakers as atmos overhead speakers or surrounds? There's a big difference and in ceiling speakers as your surrounds is a huge compromise on your sound not usually recommended if you have other options.

How serious are you with this system? Is it more for music movies or gaming? Or is it going to be a family system and be used for all of the above? Is it just a casual system or are you trying to create the most immersive badass system you can pull off in that room?

What type of speakers will you be using floorstanding speakers or all in walls and in ceilings? Is this a 5.1 7.1 or more of an atmos system like a 7.1.4? What type of surround system are you planning?

On the speaker wire just be careful if you have to do long runs with your wire the longer the run the thicker the guage. I use all 12 guage wire on my runs just to be safe. There is a chart you can Google which tells you how thick your wire should be over what distance.

On the extra speakers how many are you already planning to install already? Adding 2 more only makes a difference depending on if they are useful for the type of setup you are trying.

Amazon has dirt cheap cooling fans you can buy to use for your equipment. I can't link or I'd send you a link of some

Getting some info on these types of questions helps us with advice on the setup congrats on the new house good luck!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I apologize I missed the first page of this

That friggin room is gigantic. And I thought mine was big. Jeez Louis!

Okay as mentioned you should never use in ceiling speakers for surrounds. Especially in an atmos like setup. They should all be preferably floor standing type speakers at around ear height as mentioned then your ceiling speakers are your atmos or height speakers. Since you want good home theater putting them all in the ceiling is gonna really mess with your sound. But if the wife wants it that way you gotta do what you gotta do.

That sub has a frequency response down to 44hz? Did I read that correctly? Man since you want good home theater sound your gonna want a sub that digs more deeper then that.

Whatever you get I'd recommend near field approach and at least dual subs because that room is huge man.

Those tower speakers were 1500 apiece? Or a pair? Cuz for 1500 you can get a lot better speaker then those and you should probably consider doing so in a room that big. Hell for 700 apeice golden ears triton 7's would be a better fit then those. But I don't know where you live and what options you have in buying. What's your budget because where you should sink your money in First is great speakers subs any room treatments you might need then a good reciever. Getting badass electrical stuff like avrs etc is pointless if you don't have the best speakers and subs for that room.

Your budget will be important on this and I'm not sure about those towers they sou d like a spinoff definitive type bipolar type speaker which may not be the best type speaker for that room. You'll need to research that those type of speakers work best in ceartin room conditions and they need a lot of room to breathe. If you don't want them out in the room definetly not a good option.

A

Aburdett

Audioholic Intern
Okay I apologize I missed the first page of this

That friggin room is gigantic. And I thought mine was big. Jeez Louis!

Okay as mentioned you should never use in ceiling speakers for surrounds. Especially in an atmos like setup. They should all be preferably floor standing type speakers at around ear height as mentioned then your ceiling speakers are your atmos or height speakers. Since you want good home theater putting them all in the ceiling is gonna really mess with your sound. But if the wife wants it that way you gotta do what you gotta do.

That sub has a frequency response down to 44hz? Did I read that correctly? Man since you want good home theater sound your gonna want a sub that digs more deeper then that.
L
Whatever you get I'd recommend near field approach and at least dual subs because that room is huge man.

Those tower speakers were 1500 apiece? Or a pair? Cuz for 1500 you can get a lot better speaker then those and you should probably consider doing so in a room that big. Hell for 700 apeice golden ears triton 7's would be a better fit then those. But I don't know where you live and what options you have in buying. What's your budget because where you should sink your money in First is great speakers subs any room treatments you might need then a good reciever. Getting badass electrical stuff like avrs etc is pointless if you don't have the best speakers and subs for that room.

Your budget will be important on this and I'm not sure about those towers they sou d like a spinoff definitive type bipolar type speaker which may not be the best type speaker for that room. You'll need to research that those type of speakers work best in ceartin room conditions and they need a lot of room to breathe. If you don't want them out in the room definetly not a good option.

I don’t really have a budget. For the time being having a 2.5yr old and an 8 month old I didn’t wanna buy the nicest speakers that might get a pen through them or something similar.
I swapped the sub out for 2 of theses.
https://m.visions.ca/#/home-productdetail?productId=33082

My experience with home audio isn’t much. I’ve had a great Yamaha system for the passed 11 years but it won’t cut it.

The fronts were $789 for the pair. I didn’t pay sticker price on anything. I understand they might be a clone of something. But sounded ok at the store. I paid $3000 cad taxes in for the system. That includes 2 towers, center, 4 in ceiling speakers, 2-12” subs, and the pioneer avr. Also included was the 100’ of 16/4 ineall wire, 50’ of 16 gauge monster speaker wire for the fronts, a high speed HDMI for avr to tv and 2 sub cables.

I want a good all around system. I can replace speakers later on when kids are done wrecking my stuff lol I thought the amp would be a keeper so interested in thoughts on it.

The part of the room behind the couch will be kids play area kinda. The couch will sit roughly 14’ away from tv wall. With first set of ceiling at 13’ and the second set is closer together and at 18’ to be behind the couch to hopefully replace floor or bookshelf. Originally she was ok with having speakers on the floor there. But then changed her mind which kinda pissed me off because I made no provisions to accommodate speakers there otherwise.

I know I won’t get atmos so maybe I should be going for 7.2. The front towers have a rear firing atmos type speaker to reflect off the wall but I will probably leave them disconnected.

Please give your opinion on price of my system and if there are better options. I like to learn because as I said this it out of the box for me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t really have a budget. For the time being having a 2.5yr old and an 8 month old I didn’t wanna buy the nicest speakers that might get a pen through them or something similar.
I swapped the sub out for 2 of theses.
https://m.visions.ca/#/home-productdetail?productId=33082

My experience with home audio isn’t much. I’ve had a great Yamaha system for the passed 11 years but it won’t cut it.

The fronts were $789 for the pair. I didn’t pay sticker price on anything. I understand they might be a clone of something. But sounded ok at the store. I paid $3000 cad taxes in for the system. That includes 2 towers, center, 4 in ceiling speakers, 2-12” subs, and the pioneer avr. Also included was the 100’ of 16/4 ineall wire, 50’ of 16 gauge monster speaker wire for the fronts, a high speed HDMI for avr to tv and 2 sub cables.

I want a good all around system. I can replace speakers later on when kids are done wrecking my stuff lol I thought the amp would be a keeper so interested in thoughts on it.

The part of the room behind the couch will be kids play area kinda. The couch will sit roughly 14’ away from tv wall. With first set of ceiling at 13’ and the second set is closer together and at 18’ to be behind the couch to hopefully replace floor or bookshelf. Originally she was ok with having speakers on the floor there. But then changed her mind which kinda pissed me off because I made no provisions to accommodate speakers there otherwise.

I know I won’t get atmos so maybe I should be going for 7.2. The front towers have a rear firing atmos type speaker to reflect off the wall but I will probably leave them disconnected.

Please give your opinion on price of my system and if there are better options. I like to learn because as I said this it out of the box for me.
Hmmmmmm yeah I can totally understand the situation your kids and wife definetly require a lot of sacrifices. Hell I'm single and had to make a lot of compromises bases on room layout alone.

Lot of good info there let me wake up and get back at ya need to think some off that info over

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis