AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I understand now! I think really however, mainly due to cost, this isn't really a great option for me. I understand and like the brightness factor, Perhaps someday I would upgrade to that. Right now however, it's not in the cards.
Same here. :D

So it's a good idea to get a projector that gives you the option of upgrading to anamorphic lens.

But if you get a projector that has awesome black levels and brightness, I don't think it's a big deal to have those lines on the top and bottom when watching 2.40:1 movies.

Another HUGE factor to consider in a projector is placement. If you are limited, it's a great idea to get a projector like the 1080UB that gives you both Veritcal and Horizontal lens shift.

The opposite is the Optoma projector. Although it has awesome specs, it does not have any vertical or horizontal lens shift at all. So you would have to physically move the projector to get into position. I'm okay with that, but some people are not.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I understand now! I think really however, mainly due to cost, this isn't really a great option for me. I understand and like the brightness factor, Perhaps someday I would upgrade to that. Right now however, it's not in the cards.
I'm in the same boat. I'm purchasing a 2.40 to 1 screen and I'm just going to use the zoom method. No anamorphic lens, scaler, etc.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I think Zoom is my cup of tea. that would also eliminate the need for curved screen too correct?

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I now have to decide if I want to go 2.39:1 or 16:9.....

If using the zoom technique will I just be throwing tons off light off what should be the screen? It makes me a bit nervous.

I am all but sold on a drop down screen now in 2.39:1 as I can make the MOST of the wide but short dimentions I have. I will have a real NEED to get behind the screen, as there is a door to a functional part of the basement back there. I am really tempted to make a HUGE AT wall there and integrate the screen, but I would have to make one side of it hinged. I really don't want the PJ to throw tons of light onto my equipment however.

And I'm affraid I will get my AT wall done and light will make it through after passing through the projector screen. And lastly... right now... my HT is my 2 chan room also.
=/

Have I mentioned you guys rock. I really appreciate your time.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I am a broken record player:

PJ first . . . PJ first . . . PJ first . . .

Hey, that way you can play with the zoom and focus, and see how much of a pain it is. You can do REAL WORLD MEASUREMENTS with your tape measure.

If using the zoom technique will I just be throwing tons off light off what should be the screen? It makes me a bit nervous.
Of course not.

And I'm affraid I will get my AT wall done and light will make it through after passing through the projector screen. And lastly... right now... my HT is my 2 chan room also.
=/
You might take a look at AT weaves. I hear they rock. $$$$.

Thanks and Welcome. I have to agree EJ1 is being extremely helpful.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I am a broken record player:

PJ first . . . PJ first . . . PJ first . . .

Hey, that way you can play with the zoom and focus, and see how much of a pain it is. You can do REAL WORLD MEASUREMENTS with your tape measure.
extremely helpful.

Bang for buck I'm pretty sure I will be getting the 1080UB. I'm going to do a bit more research. Last night when just surfing the forums and such I nearly made the purchase... But it was SO HARD to find negative comments about it, and it's unbeleivable contrast ration. The side by side on VA really drove it home too for what a value it is. It could be biased, but what would they want to talk me out of other PJ's?

I'm familiar with the zoom pain now. My current PJ is a PITA. I have had it mounted on the coffee table for years, then while at the apartment I lived in for a short while, on a shelf behind me. I have a 19:9 plastic film screen now though. And no good wall to use in place of the screen.

I have learned more in this thread from the direction here than pretty much my whole time on forums.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Of course not.
That alone makes me at ease.

You might take a look at AT weaves. I hear they rock. $$$$.

Thanks and Welcome. I have to agree EJ1 is being extremely helpful.

I think AT will be for my next HOME. Unless after we add a floor we add another 1/2 of our house again to the foundation. I can save that money, put it into the HT fund for later, or upgrade my receiver, or fast trasck the home automation and audio integration project I am working on.

Plus... I need a hot tub.

=)

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief

I am all but sold on a drop down screen now in 2.39:1 as I can make the MOST of the wide but short dimentions I have. I will have a real NEED to get behind the screen, as there is a door to a functional part of the basement back there. I am really tempted to make a HUGE AT wall there and integrate the screen, but I would have to make one side of it hinged. I really don't want the PJ to throw tons of light onto my equipment however.

=/

I'd go 2.40 to 1 instead of 2.39 to 1. The widest movies out are 2.40 and that allows you to let 2.35 and 2.37 movies to "spill" over on the border of the screen.

The downside of using the zoom technique is that 20% of your brightness is being wasted due to still having the black bars but it's not that big of an issue.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
That is a verry nice set up! I will keep it in mind! Do you use At for the rest of the room? It looks beautifuly black there....
It's not my setup unfortunately. The guy is in Brazil and received one of the first Panasonic PT-AE3000U's to test.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
ahhhh I see. Thank you for showing it to me however.

No such thing as a rollable 2.4:1 screen is there?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
... I think.... I'll just put a fixed one on some kind of hinged system....
Now, that will prove to be interesting. I'm pretty curious . . .

This is totally unrelated, but having easily movable stuff happened to remind me of the R2D2 projector that's been linked here a while ago. :p

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Well if you are looking to go with the Focupix 120" screen, the shortest throw you can do is around 12' and with that 0.9 gain screen, you are looking at 16fL. Some people prefer more than 20fL and that could be achieved by getting a higher gain screen. I think you'd be much happer with around a 1.1-1.5 white screen rather than a grey since the UB already has great blacks. I forgot, what's your room's lighting situation?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis