D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I have decided... I am going to upgrade.

I am about 99% sure I will get the epson 1080 UB. Can anyone name something that compairs in value really well, or anyone that can speak poorly of it? Anyone have anything they wish it would do better. The contrast is amazing, and I have read it's due to the "iris". Can someone let me know if there is a downside etc. The high end JCV claims the highest contrast without one. What am I loosing ising this Iris style tech?

I will also be getting a new screen, and I will need a mount. Is there any screen bettter than the rest. It can be fixed, but I'm really more budget oriented here. I have a Da lite 80" 16x9 now. I would like larger I think. I have nothing bad to say about it, save it's a tad shiney.

I am really thinking about putting together a package from PP. It seems to be a decent deal, any other places to look or shop?

Anything else I need to consider?

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
As far as places to shop, I've used Projector People and Visual Apex and had great experiences with both. VA had cheaper prices. I think the Epson is a great choice.

Valuable thread for you: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=902604

The prices might be dropping on that model too because Epson has a couple new models that should be popping up soon. As far as a screen, I can't recommend Carada enough. Best customer service I've ever dealt with. I'm actually selling my 92" Carada screen.

Shameless plug: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47613

Also, use the Projection Calculator Pro if you haven't already. Good way to determine throw distance, screen size, screen gain, and foot-Lamberts.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_1080_UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey dem beats,

Are you looking at the home cinema or the pro model? I only ask because they are about $1000 or so different in price and it will give a larger range of models to compare against.

For what I have read both are well received. I am going to be purchasing in the coming months as well so I will be following closely.

The other models I am looking into are the Mitsu HC4900 and the newer HC5500. Panasonic has the AE2000U and the BenQ W5000 (I think) are all around the same price range and similar specs.

I have demoed the HC4900 and really liked but would want to see a home cinema 1080UB before I purchased.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
The home cinema.

It's going into a completely dedicated room.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I'm amazingly excited at the idea of a new PJ.

It will end up making me upgrade the receiver too eventualy...

I'm a bit pained at spending so much, but I have such expencive tastse. It's been such a long time comming. My PJ is almost 6 years old now...

If I had my way I would have Mac amps for everything too =)

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
What's your PJ budget and what's your screen budget? What size screen are you wanting to get? Are you going to want to go anamorphic in the future?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholics (Clint) reviewed a FocuPix screen, so you might check them out.

Yeah, for the money (brand new price), I think it's hard to beat the 1080UB.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
My budjet is no more than 4,500. For cables, mounting hardwear, PJ, screen.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
is DBUYS reputable?

Never heard of them.. but good deal. Also do you know of a good mount for that PJ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I need to read up more... but why would that screen be better than

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Flexio_16_9_Electric_Motorized_Screen_103_p/fxo169a-100-bk.htm

I'm so uninformed about what makes what better... Thank you guys so much for all the help!
Okay, the regular electric screens will develop waves a few years from now. I had a Da-Lite screen that developed waves about 5 years later.:D

But the tension screens should be good for longer.

But I think 5 years is pretty good.:D

Yeah, I think I would get the same screen that Audioholics bought and tested!

Here:

http://www.htdepot.com/SearchResults.asp?cat=34&RefineBy_Manufacturer=&RefineBy_Price=&RefineBy_93=&RefineBy_87=&RefineBy_36=38&RefineBy_1=9&Search=

Audioholics (Clint) likes the high contrast grey screen, but I prefer the high gain screen because I love brighter pictures.:D

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_HDVio_Widescreen_Grey_Electric_Screen_110_p/fhv169ax-110-gb.htm

For example, if the Epson 1080UB produces a brightness of 20 Foot-lambert with a 1.0 gain screen, it will theoretically produce a brightness of 44 FL on this 2.2 gain screen.

I think you sacrifice a little color accuracy when you pick a high gain screen, but to me it's worth it.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I'm in over my head......

OK, right now I have the "free" 80 inch pull up Da Lite. It was mylar. It sucks. But I'm really confused about this lambert and gain and such.

I Read up on foot lamberts and such, but can you elaborate a BIT more.

My goal is to have clear beautiful picture in a completely light controlled basement room. And I want GREAT looking black.

The room? No windows. Just what light makes it down the spiral staircase on the other side of the basement, and the other controlled light in the room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in over my head......

OK, right now I have the "free" 80 inch pull up Da Lite. It was mylar. It sucks. But I'm really confused about this lambert and gain and such.

I Read up on foot lamberts and such, but can you elaborate a BIT more.

My goal is to have clear beautiful picture in a completely light controlled basement room. And I want GREAT looking black.

The room? No windows. Just what light makes it down the spiral staircase on the other side of the basement, and the other controlled light in the room.
I'm sure Josten can elaborate a lot more, but by THX standards, a movie theater is suppose to have a brightness of 16FL, although most theaters don't even get this brightness.

The 1080UB is one of the brighter PJ out there. Depending on certain settings (Contrast, Brightness, Color Temp, etc.) you will get different brightness (Lumens, FL).

FL = Lumens/Sq. Inch surface of screen x (Gain of screen).

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I never thought I would be so excited to have a new display, it's always been about audio to me...

This is really getting me excited. For the first time I am excited about having purchased our new home... My man cave will really be new and exciting.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Take your time. Like . . . your sweet *** old time. Time.

So you're settled on PJ choice? Once you do that, call up some vendors, and see what they say. Visit owner's threads and see what they say.

While you are getting all worked up, there are still other considerations.

Have you thought of a false wall? Have you considered an AT screen?

The two things above would be very significant improvements to my own system. The first for complete and utter immersion. The second for truly ideal audio.

Now, you can always do these things later as budget permits. OTOH, doing a false wall will most likely mean a smaller screen. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, especially seeing how expensive AT can be.

Just FWIW. I am not an expert, but a noobie. I honestly would go to other forums. You can get started here with a couple of basics, but the only regular here that is familiar with PJ setup and tech is BMXTRIX.

Good luck. Remember: take your time. After all, current PJ prices will probably drop during the meanwhile.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I've seen and worked with Stewart, Draper, and D-lite screens.
The screen in my house is a 8' across D-lite pull down. I got this because it was replaced with a Stewart Greyhawk. and It's hard to turn down a free screen.

With my next house, I will have a dedicated theater room with 10' ceilings. I'll be putting in a 10-12' motorized screen....Stewart Greyhawk.. Unless something better comes out in the next 2yrs.

Anyways, Here are two links to short reads that may help.

http://convergent-av.co.uk/article2.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127716

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis