New Paradigm Studio .v5

G

GB8

Enthusiast
Just demoed the v.5 system. In my case it was with both the Studio 60 or 100, cc590 and a pair of 20's. And the Sub 12. Used the Pioneer Elite 09 receiver (the $7000 flagship...I would consider the 07 at roughly 2k). Played the Iron Man Blu-ray.

First up. Studio 60 as the "mains". At the end of the demo I thought he had hooked up the 100's. :) Had very good weight, clearity...good balanced speaker.

Then he hooked up the 100's. The difference is VERY noticeable. There was so much more body and presence. More dynamic range. So tempted to go with the 100's now. Just a little concerned it might be too much speaker for the room size. And that I will be living in a town-home. :)

Price difference between packages (including stands for the surrounds) was only $1000.00 CAD.

Finishes. The Studio 100's were in the "black". Still looks cheap IMHO. The 60's in "rosenut". MUCH better. So I think I will likely go with rosenut. Cherry should be fine (didn't see it at the shop) but I think rosenut looks more pleasing.

Unfortunately for me I won't be able to buy for roughly 3 weeks more. As I am setting up my new place. At least I'm pretty sure I'm going with the v.5.

Heard the PSB Synchrony One's in stereo setup. VERY nice sounding. More musically pleasing than the Paradigms. Has that more "hi-end sound". Then again they were powered by some hi-end separates. Forget the name of the amp. And the PSB HT system I would look at would cost me $3000 more than the v.5 system with the 100. Hmmm...

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Does anyone have any impressions of the Studio 60 v.4 VS Studio 60 v.5??? I heard the v.5's this week and was floored with the sound quality and sound stage. But was wasn't sure if anyone has had the chance to hear both??? The v.5's will run me $1,600 + taxes or I can get new v.4's from an authorized deal on Ebay for about $1250....

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
Salamander Synergy deal???

Anyone know of a mail order or anywhere to get a deal on the Salamander Synergy AV furniture to fit my Paradigm CC-690 center channel? Planning on the Quad Base with 12" riser.
Recently, I bought the Paradigm speakers Studio 100 v4, cc-690 v5, adp-590 v5 side surrounds and sa-15r-30 for rear surrounds, and MK subwoofer. Powered by Yamaha RX-Z7. Now looking for furniture to fit everything especially the cc-690.

Thanks!

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
It's about time for some pics in this thread, awesome sound, couldn't be happier, the 690 fit perfect in the Salamander stand with the 11 inch riser.

Hi, very nice...congratulations!
Is the Salamander in walnut/black or cherry/black? I have the same Rosenut Paradigms and am looking for the similiar Salamander AV rack.
Thanks!!!

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
Anyone know of a mail order or anywhere to get a deal on the Salamander Synergy AV furniture to fit my Paradigm CC-690 center channel? Planning on the Quad Base with 12" riser.
Recently, I bought the Paradigm speakers Studio 100 v4, cc-690 v5, adp-590 v5 side surrounds and sa-15r-30 for rear surrounds, and MK subwoofer. Powered by Yamaha RX-Z7. Now looking for furniture to fit everything especially the cc-690.

Thanks!
Great new setup man. The salamander stands with the riser should work out great for you. I honestly dont know anyone online who gives good discounts on the new salamander stands. You could always try a B&M shop near you as i have found alot of smaller dealers carrying salamander. The other suggestion is Best Buy as they have a few salamander stands (Although im not sure if they carry the quad...) and work a deal with them. Then you can order the riser from Salamander. Just an idea. :)

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
Standoutdesigns also has some nice consoles...

I have the Radius 701, and I finally built a riser to straddle my 690, I upgraded my plasma from a 50" to a 65", I'll have to post pics when I get home tonight, still have to stain it though...
Hi Warpdrv

Do you have pics of your riser together with your system?
Thanks!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Oh yeah, forgot about this....
Here ya go...

premade with the Signature C5 in mind...

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
Oh yeah, forgot about this....
Here ya go...

premade with the Signature C5 in mind...
Good job! Thanks for the pics. I also noticed that you had to support underneath the stand in the middle to prevent sagging. :D
Is your 690 a v4? My v5 does not have the feet. Instead it comes with pair of attached oval shape brkts in the middle bottom (for attachment to a stand or by using rubber bumpers if not).

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Good job! Thanks for the pics. I also noticed that you had to support underneath the stand in the middle to prevent sagging. :D
Is your 690 a v4? My v5 does not have the feet. Instead it comes with pair of attached oval shape brkts in the middle bottom (for attachment to a stand or by using rubber bumpers if not).

Yes, I have the .v4 system, which have the nice adjustable feet....

I and many others are quite disappointed in Paradigms decision with the .v5's center channel that has no ability to adjust the angle... I think that is a big drawback.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I think my last post got lost in here....does anyone have impressions of the Studio 40 v.4 VS the newer v.5?? I can get a used pair of v.4's locally that are in as new condition for $900 or I can bite the bullet and buy the new ones for $1,600. Something tells me that the v.4's with the 7" drivers might actually have an advantage over the newer model??

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I think my last post got lost in here....does anyone have impressions of the Studio 40 v.4 VS the newer v.5?? I can get a used pair of v.4's locally that are in as new condition for $900 or I can bite the bullet and buy the new ones for $1,600. Something tells me that the v.4's with the 7" drivers might actually have an advantage over the newer model??
which .v5 speaker, as they don't make a studio 40 in the .v5 lineup anymore.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Sorry...:eek:that was a typo...should have read Studio 60...yes you are right the 40 is no more which seems unfortunate...

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Theoretically the .v4 60's or .v4 40's will have greater SPL with the larger drivers having more output or surface area over the smaller drivers of the 60's .v5's.

I would venture to guess that Paradigm was trying to put a distinct separation between the 60's and the 100's by using 2 different size drivers. This has always been a huge contemplation and question of the difference of the 2 in the .v3 and .v4 as to how much of a difference you will get from the 60's to the 100's and now Paradigm has made them farther apart then before.....

The 2 way design of the .v4 60's was still very good sounding just like the .v4 40's were, and the true performance upgrade to the 100's brought a true 3 way design with the dedicated mid range. But now with the .v5's when you move up to the 100's you get bigger drivers and they dropped the 40's all together so there was no overlap in performance of the 40's to the 60's. Why buy a stand mount speaker when you can get the 60's for about the same price as the 40's with a stand... wise choice on Paradigm's behalf. Less product to deal with and less questions coming from the consumer.

Want more get the 100's, don't need all that much.... get the 60's simple logic.

IMO, the new .v5's are not that big an upgrade in sound as much as looks...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis