New Anthem 15CH Atmos/DTS:X Pro MRX AV Receivers and AVM Processors

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I think they missed an opportunity on the AVM70 and not doing 4 independent sub outs. I’m not sure I would ever go with a dedicated processor or not but the only going 2 sub outs on the AVM70 was disappointing to me. Same thing for the MRX1140. There are quite a few that do 3-4 subs and this would have been a big selling point.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
In a 13x19 room, which is probably bigger than most rooms, I wouldn't do more than 5.2.4. :D

I can see 9.2.6 for rooms that are 22x36 or longer with at least 3 rows of seats.
with my future 9.2.6 I plan I using 2 rows. Want plenty of space behind 2nd row so the back surrounds sound excellent sitting there. I feel too many people that build small theaters, shove in that second row up to the wall. What’s the point? Sound in that row will be terrible. Just use 1 row and make that the ultimate sounding spot. Who cares if there is a gap behind you. Fill it with 2 more giant subwoofers or something.

E

Erod

Audioholic
In a 13x19 room, which is probably bigger than most rooms, I wouldn't do more than 5.2.4. :D

I can see 9.2.6 for rooms that are 22x36 or longer with at least 3 rows of seats.
Because I have 12-foot ceilings, the 45-degree angles of the Atmos speakers to the MLP places them 15 feet apart from front to back. I think a top middle might make sense.

But while there is a 9-foot gap between my L/R speakers and their side channels, I'm not sure if front wides would add much to the "panning" improvement I hear about.

I'll just sit tight and wait for now. We'll see down the road.

E

Erod

Audioholic
with my future 9.2.6 I plan I using 2 rows. Want plenty of space behind 2nd row so the back surrounds sound excellent sitting there. I feel too many people that build small theaters, shove in that second row up to the wall. What’s the point? Sound in that row will be terrible. Just use 1 row and make that the ultimate sounding spot. Who cares if there is a gap behind you. Fill it with 2 more giant subwoofers or something.
Sound back there doesn't have to be terrible. I have two rows, and my back row is about 18 inches from the wall. However, I've treated that back wall with 4" absorption behind the head and 4" diffusion above, and I have stair-stepped seating.

The bass can gather back there in heavy bass scenes, but otherwise, it sounds good, and the 300 Hz and up frequencies sound terrific. Obviously, I'd rather sit in the front row though in the MLP.

My room is 19-feet deep, so unless I move my MLP too far forward, I have to have the back row further back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the question is, can they get great sound to their ears. It’s subjective. Real life vs theory.

When they watch a great Atmos movie and everything sounds awesome to their ears, that is the endgame regardless of how they set up their speakers.

To me, based on my experience watching many Atmos/DTSX movies, the salient factor to great Atmos sound (besides the great mix) is the ability to easily HEAR your Atmos speakers, not a specific ANGLE. If your Atmos speakers are 12FT away and you can barely hear the Atmos sound because your 9 Bed-speakers are blazing away with sound, then you will not have great Atmos sound.

The #1 complaint I hear from people is, ”I cannot hear my Atmos speakers!”.

So what is the point of setting up your speakers to a perfect 45 degree angle or whatever else the spec calls for and then not being able to hear your Atmos speakers because they are too far away and cannot compete with your bed speakers? :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My second row is against the wall, but that row is for the kids. Not concerned if it sounds all that great from there.

If I move then my theater room requirements are going to go up quite a bit. For now, I'm good.

C

cbennet1

Audiophyte
As a current owner of an AVM60 that has enough channels for me, I don’t see enough to warrant an upgrade. Looking forward to a full review to confirm or change that opinion!

P

Patton04

Audiophyte
Holly multichannel BATMAN, Anthem just dropped a gauntlet with their new 15CH Atmos/DTS:X IMAX Enhanced AV processors and receivers. These new products put Anthem on par with many of their competitors with respect to features and # of supported channels but with the beloved Anthem ARC Genesis room correction system and slick new web interface that let's you operate every function of the product even if it's in another room. What we really dig is the multiple independent subwoofer outputs, something we've been asking from them for years. Check these products out and let us know what you think.

View attachment 41131
Read: Anthem AVM Processors & MRX Receivers
Good morning Gene, new member here. Can you see any difference in specs between the AVM 70/90 and the STR preamp? Specifically in regards to subwoofer setup, phase alignment, etc? They look to have the same software?

A

atomic4877

Audiophyte
How would you guys rate ARC Genesis vs. Dirac Live? Considering the AVM70 and the Emotiva RMC-1. I have searched quite a bit, but have not found a good comparison between the two.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How would you guys rate ARC Genesis vs. Dirac Live? Considering the AVM70 and the Emotiva RMC-1. I have searched quite a bit, but have not found a good comparison between the two.
Few, if any, of us have gotten to use both technologies. If you find a review comparing them both, we all would like to see that.

However, with how Emotiva has had issues with their processors in the past and the customer service experience of some of our members, I'd be leaning toward the Anthem. Plus, IMHO, the anthem looks better.

A

atomic4877

Audiophyte
Few, if any, of us have gotten to use both technologies. If you find a review comparing them both, we all would like to see that.

However, with how Emotiva has had issues with their processors in the past and the customer service experience of some of our members, I'd be leaning toward the Anthem. Plus, IMHO, the anthem looks better.
I do like the looks of the Anthems a lot even though all my other gear is primarily blue led based (Panamax power conditioner and Emotiva Amps). I know it is trivial, but hurts my OCD a bit. I can get over that though.Hoping the digital press event will happen soon to find out more info on these especially if the Anthem will be running separate dacs for all channels like the Emotiva.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do like the looks of the Anthems a lot even though all my other gear is primarily blue led based (Panamax power conditioner and Emotiva Amps). I know it is trivial, but hurts my OCD a bit. I can get over that though.Hoping the digital press event will happen soon to find out more info on these especially if the Anthem will be running separate dacs for all channels like the Emotiva.
Nothing a little electrical tape can't fix. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even if you could find someone comparing the 2 online, it's still one person's preference. :D

E

EBN

Audioholic
@Matthew J Poes we are waiting that big room correction comparison review you promised! :) Any word of ETA? :D

P

Patton04

Audiophyte
Placed order for AVM70 yesterday. Can't wait to listen to Hendrix SACD "Are You Experienced" that AS finally released after 3 years.

A

atomic4877

Audiophyte
Any idea when the press event for these new product launches may happen. I know it was said that it would happen this month.

D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Im thinking about an order...anyone have any accurate beta on release dates? With covid- i have to think a lot of things can go wrong with any supply chain.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have Roon and qobuz and the interface is amazing. I also have J River which is great with J Remote.

But Roon is an excellent network library organization with mobile UI plus transport that works.
Zones can be setup that stay synced and work. A proper Roon endpoint allows the amp to communicate with the end-point for volume control.

Unfortunately, these new 11+ channel processors with Roon do not support multi-channel. Yeah, I know there is not much content out there but it sort of obvious that devices with this many channels should support more multi-channel Roon.

I'd like to see more processors measured, first like ASR in two channel mode, but also with processing engaged with at least one or two PEQ filters in place.
After all, that's the way they run and it would be nice to see how much of the native performance is maintained with engaging the DSPs.

These are very nice looking products.
These prices are a bit odd: $3,499 - AVM70; $6,999 - AVM90. The AVM90 is almost double the price and all I can find is two more subwoofer outputs and a bit better DACs. If this is correct, a little more information about what is under the hood would be nice.

- Rich

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
@Matthew J Poes we are waiting that big room correction comparison review you promised! :) Any word of ETA? :D
Hah it’s on hold. I kept thinking it was going to move forward in a big way. But you know, it’s 2020!

we will do it! Im relocating to Florida and will end up being about 90 minutes from Gene. We will have all the corrections we need for this between us so I should be able to use his space to do the comparisons.

After we decided to move I totally misjudged how much time I would have for this kind of stuff. Like delusional level misjudgment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis