Network sharing, finding servers. Trouble. Please help.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dave, is your router set up for an intranet? The default security setting on my router prohibits interaction between computers connected to it.
I'm looking at my D-Link setup page. I don't see any security settings. All I see is the IP and DHCP settings. In the past, we have been able to share back and forth between computers and the Fireball. I don't know what's changed.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I tried to ping my desktop's IP address from my laptop. 4 packets sent, none received.

Even though the two computers are on the same network, same router, etc., they can't see each other.
That's a huge clue that they may not be on the same network (unless your router is configured to not respond to pings).

Type ipconfig /all on each machine and compare. They both must have the same network address and have the same net mask. The default gateway, dhcp and dns servers should be the same on both and point to the router if they are both connected to the router.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-1B-B9-CF-06
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 17, 2009 8:09:46 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:09:46 PM

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
They have the same subnet mask, default gateway, dhcp and dns server numbers. Their IP addresses are one number apart. On the laptop, this info is shown in the wireless LAN section. On the desktop, this info is shown in the Ethernet adapter section.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
As one last check to see if they can see each other, use tracert.

From the desktop: tracert laptop_ip_address
From laptop: tracert desktop_ip_address

If you get 'no route to host' or 'destination unreachable' something else is wrong. If it succeeds, then your problem is most likely related to permissions when you set up the shares.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
As one last check to see if they can see each other, use tracert.

From the desktop: tracert laptop_ip_address
From laptop: tracert desktop_ip_address

If you get 'no route to host' or 'destination unreachable' something else is wrong. If it succeeds, then your problem is most likely related to permissions when you set up the shares.
Neither computer can find the other. That's so weird since they are both connected to the internet on the same router and modem.

Plan B was to transfer all the files 2g at a time via a thumb drive. I thought of a good plan C, which is to transfer all the files to the Archos then download them back to the laptop. The Archos has a tragic user interface. I try not to use it, it's such a pain.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Neither computer can find the other. That's so weird since they are both connected to the internet on the same router and modem.
I thought one was wireless. You could always connect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable and then you won't have issues like wireless bridging and whether file and print sharing is bound to the wireless adapter and all manner of b.s. that makes this stuff complicated.

Plan B was to transfer all the files 2g at a time via a thumb drive.
I was actually going to suggest that except I would recommend spending a few bucks for a 32 GB or 64 GB and just be done with it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I thought one was wireless. You could always connect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable and then you won't have issues like wireless bridging and whether file and print sharing is bound to the wireless adapter and all manner of b.s. that makes this stuff complicated.

I was actually going to suggest that except I would recommend spending a few bucks for a 32 GB or 64 GB and just be done with it.
Well, it's 3AM and I've just finished the file transfer using the Archos. Mission accomplished.

It seemed like a simple enough task but now it's raised a whole other whack of issues. It seems like the purpose of a wireless home network is kind of defeated when none of the computers or mass storage devices can find each other.:eek:

I'll leave that task to my wife. I've been trying to convince her to register and participate in this computer forum. She's the one with the subscription to PC World. She should be able to figure it out...or at least understand the instructions people are giving her, unlike my luddite self.

J

james458458

Audiophyte
If you're having trouble with network sharing and accessing my sss online, start by ensuring all devices are on the same network and that network sharing is enabled. Check connectivity by pinging the server’s IP and confirm your firewall isn’t blocking access. A simple restart of your devices may also help; if issues persist, feel free to ask for more assistance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis