Network sharing, finding servers. Trouble. Please help.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Here's the goal, I want to transfer my music files to my laptop (Vista). The files are currently stored on both my Escient Fireball and in iTunes on my desktop (Windows XP). They are both wired into the network. The laptop is wireless. The network runs on a D-Link router.

On the laptop, I can see the Escient in the network devices but I can't figure out how to transfer a file into media player (or anywhere else for that matter). I can't see the desktop listed anywhere and I can't find out how to share or transfer files between desktop and laptop.

It sounds like such a simple function, transfer a folder from one computer on the network to the other, yet I can't figure it out. BTW, this is also time limited. I need all my music on my laptop by Wed. night because I'm going to my brother's wedding in BC and I'm supposed to provide the music for his reception. The laptop is the device I'll be traveling with so the files need to be on it.

Any help is genuinely appreciated.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
You need to configure the Windows XP machine to share the folders where your music is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

It should be easy to find (search for .mp3). It should be something like .../iphoto/library (sorry not sure of the exact path, i'm on a mac)

Right click on that folder and go to Sharing. Enable full control for everybody.

You should be able to see the shared drive from the other computer by going into internet explorer and typing \\computername (replace computername with the name of the windows xp machine). It shoudl show any shared folders.

You can then remove the share. You'll want to do this if your network isn't secure.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. All file sharing settings are on, per the link. All file sharing is enabled in the laptop as well. Windows firewall is off. \\desktop shows no shared files can be found.

The laptop cannot find the desktop on the network. I dragged my Fireball folder into the Shared Docs on desktop folder but it still does not show up on the laptop.

I also ran the network setup wizard per that link to no effect.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
When I right click the Fireball or iTunes folder and click "Send To", no option shows up to send it over the network or share with another computer.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Everything in that last link is fine right up until step 9. Files on the desktop are showing that they are configured to share. But the laptop cannot find the desktop, never mind any shared files on the desktop.

Both computers are linked to the network and find the internet with no problem. They just can't seem to find each other.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
When I right click the Fireball or iTunes folder and click "Send To", no option shows up to send it over the network or share with another computer.
That's for sending a file to a program. If you put a link (shortcut) to the program in c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\sendTo it will show up.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Dave,

The link abboudc provided should get you ready for the sharing between the PC and the laptop.

2 other steps that will help is to have both machines within the same workgroup. Right click on my computer and choose properties. In the tab that has the computer name and workgroup you can check and change there. The other is to use the same username password combo to log in.

To get to the Fireball via the network - right click on my computer choose map network drive. In the folder type \\Fireball\Content\ and choose a drive letter and click ok. That will show you all the artists in your content folder. You can drag the files from here.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
On the desktop, go to run then type "cmd"
type ipconfig

Try to ping the IP address that comes back from the laptop.

Assuming you can ping it, substitute the ip address for the computer name, i.e.

\\192.168.101.1\SharedFolderName

Substitute your IP and sharedfoldername in the above...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Dave,
If you want to make your life easier, do this:

Open My Computer and click on Tools->Folder Options->View. Scroll down to the bottom and UNCHECK 'Use Simple File Sharing'. Do that on both machines.
Now you can share anything.

When you right-click and choose sharing, the dialog will look a little different than what's been posted so far, but it's the same thing (just wide open read/write privileges and thus not as secure as 'simple PIA file sharing'). Click the radio button for 'share this folder' and give it a name.

On the other machine you can right click on My Computer and map the drive. You should be able to see the other machine when you hit the Browse button and navigate to the shared folder.

You should be able to see what machines are available for file sharing by typing 'net view' at a command prompt. You can see the named shares by typing 'net view \\machinename'.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
2 other steps that will help is to have both machines within the same workgroup. Right click on my computer and choose properties. In the tab that has the computer name and workgroup you can check and change there. The other is to use the same username password combo to log in.
I think this might do it. I notice that the desktop said Workgroup: Home and the laptop said Workgroup: Workgroup. I changed the laptop to Home, rebooted and I'm just about to try this again.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think this might do it. I notice that the desktop said Workgroup: Home and the laptop said Workgroup: Workgroup. I changed the laptop to Home, rebooted and I'm just about to try this again.
The workgroups must match but the username and password don't have to match. It will prompt for a username and password if they don't match. It's just easier if both machines have the same username and password.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
To get to the Fireball via the network - right click on my computer choose map network drive. In the folder type \\Fireball\Content\ and choose a drive letter and click ok. That will show you all the artists in your content folder. You can drag the files from here.
Doing this, the laptop cannot find the Fireball, either.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Type 'net view' at a command prompt. Maybe it's not named 'Fireball'.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
On the desktop, go to run then type "cmd"
type ipconfig

Try to ping the IP address that comes back from the laptop.

Assuming you can ping it, substitute the ip address for the computer name, i.e.

\\192.168.101.1\SharedFolderName

Substitute your IP and sharedfoldername in the above...
I see there is an IP address for the ethernet adapter but not for any other device hooked to the network.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I was unable to help Dave but I want to provide some info so someone else can.

He has two machines.

XP Home Desktop
Workgroup: Home
File sharing on (Simple file share off)

Vista Home Laptop
Workgroup: Home
File sharing on

When he views network computers from the XP machine he can see the laptop but cannot access the shared folders.

When he views the network from the Vista machine he does not see the desktop.
I have had past issues sharing folders and resources with "home" versions of windows.

The only thing left was to create a user account on the Vista machine that matched the XP machine to see if that helped.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm no file sharing guru, but I'll throw out some concepts that others might be able to do something with.

First, perhaps the router has a firewall that is preventing transfer?

Second, perhaps the security tab on the file sharing window needs to be configured.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I tried to ping my desktop's IP address from my laptop. 4 packets sent, none received.

Even though the two computers are on the same network, same router, etc., they can't see each other.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dave, is your router set up for an intranet? The default security setting on my router prohibits interaction between computers connected to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis