Sony UBP-X800 Still Draws Power When Turned OFF

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Today I touched the top of my UBP-X800 and I noticed that close to the AC cord input, the touch is slightly warmer than the rest of the surface. The KillAWatt meter indicates Watt: 5.4 and VA: 13.3
I wonder why. Would there be some sort of standby mode? My 2 Oppo BD players do have a standby mode but they feature a pilot bulb showing it.

A lot of electronic products and appliances indeed consume power when turned off. You would be surprised if you checked some with a KillAWatt tester or other appropriate product.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Today I touched the top of my UBP-X800 and I noticed that close to the AC cord input, the touch is slightly warmer than the rest of the surface. The KillAWatt meter indicates Watt: 5.4 and VA: 13.3
I wonder why. Would there be some sort of standby mode? My 2 Oppo BD players do have a standby mode but they feature a pilot bulb showing it.

A lot of electronic products and appliances indeed consume power when turned off. You would be surprised if you checked some with a KillAWatt tester or other appropriate product.
That is the draw for the auto on circuit and for the device to be ready to receive input from the remote. The power supply has to be in low power mode to power those circuits. Practically all devices consume some power these days when off.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve two Sony’s there is a menu that enables a quick start up I believe this setting leaves some things turned on for a quick boot up cause they can take awhile if left it’s own device .

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve two Sony’s there is a menu that enables a quick start up I believe this setting leaves some things turned on for a quick boot up cause they can take awhile if left it’s own device .
Mark, have you had a chance to listen to the HDI 3800 speakers? I know that they have a rather linear frequency response, and with their high frequency wave guide, they produce excellent dispersion performance. I'm sure that Floyd Toole was involved with their design, following his experience with anechoic chamber testing in the National Research Council Canada. Moreover, Shady J did enjoy reviewing them.

As a matter of fact, because of my age, I've just turned 84 and those speakers are about at the top of my list as replacement of my own designed speakers. They don't take much space and they easily fit in smaller rooms. I'm thinking of going back to stereo, and selling my 7 channel system, therefore looking for a much simpler audio rig in due course. Of course, the Philharmonic loudspeakers are also very interesting but shipping cost might not be affordable.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Mark, have you had a chance to listen to the HDI 3800 speakers? I know that they have a rather linear frequency response, and with their high frequency wave guide, they produce excellent dispersion performance. I'm sure that Floyd Toole was involved with their design, following his experience with anechoic chamber testing in the National Research Council Canada. Moreover, Shady Jim did enjoy reviewing them.

As a matter of fact, because of my age, I've just turned 84 and those speakers are about at the top of my list as replacement of my own designed speakers. They don't take much space and they easily fit in smaller rooms. I'm thinking of going back to stereo, and selling my 7 channel system, therefore looking for a much simpler audio rig in due course. Of course, the Philharmonic loudspeakers are also very interesting but shipping cost might not be affordable.
I heard the smaller siblings, the HDI 3600, at a stereo shop and spent a fair bit of time listening to them. I really liked the way they performed and almost purchased them that day (they were a recent trade-in in mint condition). I upgraded the TV and AVR instead but the HDI 3800 is a worthy contender in my view. I much preferred them to a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 5G at the same store, which really seemed to suffer from the small midrange that they used.

I also really like the BMRs that I got to hear at Dennis' home. Very different design philosophies though and the ribbon tweeter of course is going to sound quite different from the compression horns that JBL uses. The BMR is a rather neutral speaker, as born out by the measurements. It has a wide dispersion pattern which gives it a fairly wide sweet spot. Were you thinking of the towers or pairing the bookshelves with sub woofers?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I heard the smaller siblings, the HDI 3600, at a stereo shop and spent a fair bit of time listening to them. I really liked the way they performed and almost purchased them that day (they were a recent trade-in in mint condition). I upgraded the TV and AVR instead but the HDI 3800 is a worthy contender in my view. I much preferred them to a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 5G at the same store, which really seemed to suffer from the small midrange that they used.

I also really like the BMRs that I got to hear at Dennis' home. Very different design philosophies though and the ribbon tweeter of course is going to sound quite different from the compression horns that JBL uses. The BMR is a rather neutral speaker, as born out by the measurements. It has a wide dispersion pattern which gives it a fairly wide sweet spot. Were you thinking of the towers or pairing the bookshelves with sub woofers?
I think that the JBL horn has a wide horizontal dispersion too, a lot wider than some of the dome tweeters.

I haven't decided yet as to whether I would get tower or bookshelf cabinets. However I frankly prefer towers and I will most likely need at least one sub because of my love for pipe organ music.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think that the JBL horn has a wide horizontal dispersion too, a lot wider than some of the dome tweeters.

I haven't decided yet as to whether I would get tower or bookshelf cabinets. However I frankly prefer towers and I will most likely need at least one sub because of my love for pipe organ music.
I was going to comment on the JBLs but it would not have been a fair comparison. The room dimensions were different so the JBLs had a smaller sweet spot in that scenario. Better to compare the measurements. ;)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That is the draw for the auto on circuit and for the device to be ready to receive input from the remote. The power supply has to be in low power mode to power those circuits. Practically all devices consume some power these days when off.
I think that all manufacturers should strive to have as low standby power usage as possible and over the years this generally have become better. Nowadays there is often menu options to reduce standby power at the expense of slightly longer startup time. A driver for this is regulation in EU with USA (possibly, not sure) not nearly as strong.

My Genelec monitors and subwoofers draws 0.5W in standby (released 2017 or so). My RME ADI-2 DAC FS draws less than half of my Genelec. I've a RME Fireface UCX II audio interface that does not specify but likely very low as well in standby mode. My over a decade old Oppo BDP-93EU is specced to 0.5W in standby. My 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W draws 0.5W with CEC enabled and 2.7W with network.

So here a major manufacturer (Sony) of consumer products have problems with power usage during standby for a blueray player. Reminds me of a number of inexpensive DACs (excellent performance otherwise) draw as much power on as in standby, around 5-6W, for no good reason except it's cheaper for the manufacturer.

I’ll step off my box now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis