Marantz Model 10 Integrated Amp - Purifi Class D Weighs 74lbs!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The pro audio QSC DCA series of power amps are designed to handle 2 ohm loads, so do the Crown DriveCore series amps.

The Crown Class D DriveCore series won't generate much heat. So won't the QSC DCA series which have class AB output circuitry but use a SMPS power supply with cooling fans.

I'm using some QSC DCA amps in my HT system. This series of amps is used in Cineplex theaters across North America. You can't kill those amps:
Those Crown amps are noisy and don't even come close to the low distortion of a Purifi design. I heard the Crown amps JBL uses in Synthesis and the fan noise was unbearable IF you have the equipment in an acoustically controlled room. I could hear the fans from 10ft away during quiet passages.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Those Crown amps are noisy and don't even come close to the low distortion of a Purifi design. I heard the Crown amps JBL uses in Synthesis and the fan noise was unbearable IF you have the equipment in an acoustically controlled room. I could hear the fans from 10ft away during quiet passages.
My answer only referred to their handling of 2 ohm loads and not about distortion.

With regard to fan noise, it depends on the power you demand from them. I read a few posts from one member at least and there was no complaint about fan noise because the fan had never run. Perhaps @lovinthehd can clarify on this as he has been using Crown amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis