Need help chosing Pre Pro/Receiver

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So is that chart based off of impendance ? You said dips in under 4 ohms what does that mean exactly. Just curious is all. Just saw this before my last post btw.
No I can link those after I get back from dunkin donuts in a minute.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So is that chart based off of impendance ? You said dips in under 4 ohms what does that mean exactly. Just curious is all. Just saw this before my last post btw.
Here are the impedance and phase. Note the JBL never dips below 5.9 and the B&W is below 4ohms between 100hz and 1khz a few times and that's in the power band
JBL
Screenshot_20200801-055649_Chrome.jpg

B&W
518BW702fig1 (1).jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don't understand how you can use two different types of charts with different scales to draw a comparison.
You can still see the issues on both and both are quasi. James's are much better than sterophile. I'll see I can find one from ASR to make you feel better

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
You can still see the issues on both and both are quasi. James's are much better than sterophile. I'll see I can find one from ASR to make you feel better
Ok I see what you mean. Would the 6T be better than the jbl 3800s, also what would a top tier subwoofer could you recommend if I were to be getting these. The pb16 ultra svs sub seems fairly decent. If not then I would like your opinion. Does aerial acoustic make bookshelfs and surrounds as well?

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I don't need to feel better.

Using identical charts/scales provides for a better comparison.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don't need to feel better.

Using identical charts/scales provides for a better comparison.
Good luck with that as it doesn't happen often. Can you not see the problem with the B&W? Can you see a problem with the JBL?

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
If you have a capable amp, it shouldn't be a problem. Correct?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a capable amp, it shouldn't be a problem. Correct?
As far as driving them, sure. Still wont change the frequency response in the midrange and lower treble. As a mentioned they aren't a bad speaker, but objectively they are not better than the JBLs, which was he was asking about the two. Also I mentioned that if one likes a warm midrange it easy to shape that into a speaker with a flat responce as opposed to trying to eq a non neutral speaker to neutral.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
As far as driving them, sure. Still wont change the frequency response in the midrange and lower treble. As a mentioned they aren't a bad speaker, but objectively they are not better than the JBLs, which was he was asking about the two. Also I mentioned that if one likes a warm midrange it easy to shape that into a speaker with a flat responce as opposed to trying to eq a non neutral speaker to neutral.
Well I researched a little about what you've been saying and I see now. What would you choose the 6T aerial acoustics or the jbl 3800s? Is there charts for that?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well I researched a little about what you've been saying and I see now. What would you choose the 6T aerial acoustics or the jbl 3800s? Is there charts for that?
Probably more of a toss up, with the JBL having a slight edge in extension but that would matter unless you were listening wo subs. Both are fairly sensitive, so loudness levels will be close, with the JBL probably having a little more power handling in the tweeter being it is a compression driver. The Ariel looks better IMO, which could be what it comes down to since they behave similarly.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I you wanted sexy and good, this is a variant of my speakers I linked earlier. Has a smaller woofer but a midrange that handles more power. They share the same Beryllium tweeter. Low frequency extension is 33hz down 3db vs 25hz. Oh and the lead time is 5 months currently.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a good read on understanding measurements. If you follow Dr.Toole, Dr.Olive and many other speaker designers that follow the philosophy of neutral responses and good on and off axis design, you wont be disappointed in a speaker that shows those in measurements.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
Here is a good read on understanding measurements. If you follow Dr.Toole, Dr.Olive and many other speaker designers that follow the philosophy of neutral responses and good on and off axis design, you wont be disappointed in a speaker that shows those in measurements.
Cool. Thanks.

I'm new to all of this, so hopefully it will be an easy read.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cool. Thanks.

I'm new to all of this, so hopefully it will be an easy read.
Short, but will probably take a second time if you dont spend a little time on each short section.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Damn I like those, those are sexy lol. How do they compare to the JBL. Also what series of theirs are the best for music and movies and for sq. The ones you linked seem pretty decent for that. Do they have a center and surrounds to match it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Damn I like those, those are sexy lol. How do they compare to the JBL. Also what series of theirs are the best for music and movies and for sq. The ones you linked seem pretty decent for that. Do they have a center and surrounds to match it?
Salk speakers are designed by Dennis Murphy (Philharmonic Audio) and are all very good speakers. They use the best drivers in the industry based on class, so you know they are proven. That model compared to the JBL, the JBLs might edge them in total SPL, but not enough to make a difference except in the largest of rooms. Again note the long lead times as each speaker is custom made.

Their are quite a few members hear that can attest to them. @ryanosaur , @Swerd , @KEW (Philharmonic), @NINaudio
And others...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis