Need help chosing Pre Pro/Receiver

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
I'm stuck between these two options.

-Arcam AVR30
-Audiocontrol XR-8

Trying to go for higher build quality/sound quality more than higher power. They seem to have the same features other than the audiocontrol having auro 3d. Thanks.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

-Arcam AVR30
-Audiocontrol XR-8

Trying to go for higher build quality/sound quality more than higher power. They seem to have the same features other than the audiocontrol having auro 3d. Thanks.
What makes you think they have better sound quality then say Denon 4500 or Yamaha 3080? Also I wouldn't put much stock in Auro, there isn't much content.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
What makes you think they have better sound quality then say Denon 4500 or Yamaha 3080? Also I wouldn't put much stock in Auro, there isn't much content.
The build quality is alot better for one. For two reviewers on this website and other ones said that arcam sounds better. If I get a chance I will go test one. But I agree about auro3d. Couple of friends had denons and they all stopped working within 2 years. And yamaha I was interested in but long term I wouldn't be able to use 2 subwoofers. :] thanks for the reply. As well as adjusting them separately from the speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The build quality is alot better for one. For two reviewers on this website and other ones said that arcam sounds better. If I get a chance I will go test one. But I agree about auro3d. Couple of friends had denons and they all stopped working within 2 years. And yamaha I was interested in but long term I wouldn't be able to use 2 subwoofers. :] thanks for the reply. As well as adjusting them separately from the speakers.
Why wouldn't you be able to use 2 subwoofers? Not trying to change your mind, but without room correction applied, they will not sound different, that just a reviewers subjective opinion not based in science. The Yamaha has everything the Arcam has, including the DAC and is probably the most reliable units on the market, that and 6k for an 7.2 AVR is way over the top.

I've had all kinds of boutique McIntosh gear and none sounded any different from the mid/top tier products. What speakers are you driving?

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
I'm gonna be using the SVS Ultra Towers/Center and surrounds/bookshelfs. I'm gonna be using room correction and dirac is loads better apparently according to users. And the 3080 only has 1 output for a subwoofer not 2.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'll note that if you are set on one of those two, I'd take the XR8 just for the processing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm gonna be using the SVS Ultra Towers/Center and surrounds/bookshelfs. I'm gonna be using room correction and dirac is loads better apparently according to users. And the 3080 only has 1 output for a subwoofer not 2.
It has 2 outputs... I'd invest more money in speakers than AVRs personally, many have the same philosophy. Just trying to give you as much info as possible.

As for DIRAC, it does seem to get the nod, but $400 minidsp would take care of that if you weren't happy with another RC.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
It has 2 outputs... I'd invest more money in speakers than AVRs personally, many have the same philosophy. Just trying to give you as much info as possible.

As for DIRAC, it does seem to get the nod, but $400 minidsp would take care of that if you weren't happy with another RC.
I might be confused about the 2 subs. Was it cant change the subs to different settings or something. But yeah I'm set on them but was also waiting to see the new 2020 yamaha rx a8.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm driving these 6k speakers with a Denon 3600 and QSC DCA1622
Resizer_15441012685274.jpg
Resizer_15441012685271.jpg

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Thanks! I've only got to listen to them for about 30hrs, as I've been stuck in my other house from back surgery and then COVID-19 unfortunately.
Aww poop man. That sucks! I hope you get better man. Glad you arent dead from it! Also hope your back gets better! But back to the topic to those receivers, I'm interested in the audiocontrol do you think it will have alot of bugs in the firmware?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Aww poop man. That sucks! I hope you get better man. Glad you arent dead from it! Also hope your back gets better! But back to the topic to those receivers, I'm interested in the audiocontrol do you think it will have alot of bugs in the firmware?
I didn't get covid, just haven't been able to travel and back is doing good, a year Aug 8th. Thanks!

As for firmware being buggy that's a tuff one as it's so new and not a lot of them sold yet. I'd think it would be fine and not have the issues like say the Emotiva prepros have upon releases.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
I didn't get covid, just haven't been able to travel and back is doing good, a year Aug 8th. Thanks!

As for firmware being buggy that's a tuff one as it's so new and not a lot of them sold yet. I'd think it would be fine and not have the issues like say the Emotiva prepros have upon releases.
Ohhh gotcha.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The build quality is alot better for one. For two reviewers on this website and other ones said that arcam sounds better.
Reality is, people spent much more on their Arcam choice than others who spent on their Yamaha or Denon who it is not surprising that they would tell others the likes of Arcam, NAD, Anthem, Audio Control... etc., sound better. If you put them through a blind test, you will most likely find that when the test is conducted in an apples to apples way, preference will be evenly split, that's even if they really all sound different, let alone the strong possibility that comparable models between those brands likely sound the same or almost the same to ordinary humans.:D

So in my opinion, rather than believing what other's subjective views, it is better to go with specifications and bench test measurements that are science based and is objective. I stopped chasing the myths about boutique brand's have better build and sound quality a long time ago, and focus on acquiring media contents and loudspeakers, REQ that offers real return on investment, but its your money so if you believe in it, go for it. Between the two though, I would still have more faith in Arcam that Audio Control.

ASR measured quite a few Arcams, none did too well, iirc they measured the AVR850, 390, 10 and the AV40. Take a look if you are interested, just for reference.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Reality is, people spent much more on their Arcam choice than others who spent on their Yamaha or Denon who it is not surprising that they would tell others the likes of Arcam, NAD, Anthem, Audio Control... etc., sound better. If you put them through a blind test, you will most likely find that when the test is conducted in an apples to apples way, preference will be evenly split, that's even if they really all sound different, let alone the strong possibility that comparable models between those brands likely sound the same or almost the same to ordinary humans.:D

So in my opinion, rather than believing what other's subjective views, it is better to go with specifications and bench test measurements that are science based and is objective. I stopped chasing the myths about boutique brand's have better build and sound quality a long time ago, and focus on acquiring media contents and loudspeakers, REQ that offers real return on investment, but its your money so if you believe in it, go for it. Between the two though, I would still have more faith in Arcam that Audio Control.

ASR measured quite a few Arcams, none did too well, iirc they measured the AVR850, 390, 10 and the AV40. Take a look if you are interested, just for reference.
What pre amp/pro/receiver would you recommend with dirac and EARC and supports all the codecs and dolby vision and such. Need a 7 channel that can add amps on it. Maybe a 16 channel.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Every time I see people talking about price vs quality, I think about the $18,000 Pre-pro from Simaudio (Moon CP-8) that was a repackaged $900 AVR with the amps section removed and inserted into a new chassis. :D

Is pre-pro for you? Or is AVR good enough?
Is Dirac or Trinnov the best? Or is ARC and Audyssey XT32 just as good?

Only you can decide. But be careful in thinking whatever costs more must be better. A big factor in cost is economy of scale - the LESS (number of units) they sell, the MORE money they have to charge you.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

-Arcam AVR30
-Audiocontrol XR-8

You can't go wrong with either. Arcam is very popular brand. High end build quality. With all new releases, they have dealt with bugs, but I've heard they have them under control and have issued all the necessary updates to fix them. I've only heard good things regarding Audiocontrol. From what I've read, they are solidly built and are a step above your normal AVR.

This forum is filled with a ton of people that are huge AVR fans. They don't like true separates (Pre/pro and Amps). I love separates and will be investing a ton more for my next theater build. Specifically the Trinnov Altitude 16 paired with ATI amps.

Have you looked into the Audiocontrol Maestro series? They have some solid reviews out there if you're interested. The Arcam AV40 is also really nice. Was very buggy at the beginning, but they've corrected almost all the issues. They do cost a smidge more, but I think it would be worth it.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Sparechange was a day 1 owner. He went through all the early bugs. One thing he didn't do was come back a couple of months after they corrected them and try it out in his system. Give a more fair and honest review once early bugs have been worked out. He now owns the Trinnov Altitude 16 and will be keeping that a long time.

If you check out Audio Adivce, they speak very highly of the AV40.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis