Need expert advice if an external Amp will improve my system?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can't understand why the gain difference would cause boominess. Change in crossover, perhaps.
Just a thought - but if he is running something like DEQ or the equivalent, wouldn't changing the gain at the AVR (and compensating at the sub) be equivalent to changing the offset?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a thought - but if he is running something like DEQ or the equivalent, wouldn't changing the gain at the AVR (and compensating at the sub) be equivalent to changing the offset?
I don't think so, but will have to ponder that, even if they're using YPAO Volume (or whatever Yamaha calls the similar feature to DEQ, altho I do not believe it has an equivalent RLO setting either). Wasn't thinking of application of eq particularly, just considering that as long as the signal is sufficient and not clipping at calibration of levels, and within the sub trim level capabilities of the pre, a little difference of gain at either end shouldn't make a difference, they should essentially be the same thing unless something is off with the signal at either point.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Uh oh... you summoned TLS Guy in a LSiM thread...
Yeah, we all know what he might say about those big Polk towers, LSI (flagships)or not, but let the OP hear that too right? Hope he won't disappoint.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Like HD said, we don't know how Yamaha did their trick. I think it is reasonable to assume if the adjustments were made prior to re-running YPAO then I would say HD is right.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
All, thanks to all the advises, now that i am happy with how the system performs. At least to me/my wife listening habit.

Last question I have is, i understand that i don't need an external AMP largely due to our listening volume and sitting distance, and also i am only powering 3.2 system without any surround speakers.

I know that my Yamaha AVR is an entry level system, which may not be optimal to power these giant towers.
The question i have is, will upgrading to a better/higher tier AVR helps to keep the speakers longevity, in cases of a sudden surge in need of power which may clip the speakers ??
Thinking about this, i am also reluctant to upgrade because most high end AVR comes with more than 9 channels which i really don't need .

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All, thanks to all the advises, now that i am happy with how the system performs. At least to me/my wife listening habit.

Last question I have is, i understand that i don't need an external AMP largely due to our listening volume and sitting distance, and also i am only powering 3.2 system without any surround speakers.

I know that my Yamaha AVR is an entry level system, which may not be optimal to power these giant towers.
The question i have is, will upgrading to a better/higher tier AVR helps to keep the speakers longevity, in cases of a sudden surge in need of power which may clip the speakers ??
Thinking about this, i am also reluctant to upgrade because most high end AVR comes with more than 9 channels which i really don't need .
Speakers don't clip... Amps clip.
Upgrade your AVR if you find you need more power, but I don't think that is the case, IIRC the rest of the thread. Otherwise, upgrade for usability and features, only if you need/want. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd worry more about avr longevity due to heat generation than I would worry about your speakers from clipping, and hopefully you do not deliberately run them so hard as to damage them (especially at your stated listening levels), am pretty sure you would be dialing the volume down just because it didn't sound good first. Unless you're prone to drunken parties and just keep wanting MOAR! :)

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Awesome awesome, hopefully the $20 infinity that Peng suggested will help to keep the AVR happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome awesome, hopefully the $20 infinity that Peng suggested will help to keep the AVR happy.
I think fans are cheap insurance for many avrs, particularly those with limited breathing space. I use them too (not that brand, I've used coolerguys.com).

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Woohoo, found an old mini fan from my 2nd gaming TV which seldom use anymore. Unplug and move it to my AVR. Cancelled my Amazon order, save me some money :)

1587693378953.png

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Guys, a dummy question.

I plug the mini fan using the USB port, but the power of the USB port keeps going even though I turn off the AVR.

I thought it will power down the fan once I turn off the AVR just like how it worked in my TV, apparently not.

Do you know a way to customize that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys, a dummy question.

I plug the mini fan using the USB port, but the power of the USB port keeps going even though I turn off the AVR.

I thought it will power down the fan once I turn off the AVR just like how it worked in my TV, apparently not.

Do you know a way to customize that?
Might look in your manual for usb power port info, but seems to me if I had network or hdmi standby enabled (I usually don't) then it kept the port powered....might check that. Or just consider separate power on/off method for your fan (I use a smart power strip for some amps and the fans).

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I will say, for a few years I used a Sherbourn 5/1500A power amp(200 watts per channel) for my front L/R channels in my bedroom system. My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR809, which is a pretty ballsy AVR. However, it was obvious that with the Sherbourn in use, there was more bass slam and fullness than with just the Onkyo. Interestingly, however, it seemed that the initial attack on bass drum shots was more immediate and better defined with just the Onkyo, while the impact was "fatter" and less defined with the Sherbourn.

But the biggest issue with the Sherbourn is that either it, or the interconnect cables, smeared the mids and highs, especially high vocals. Vocals and instruments were just not as clear with the Sherbourn in place. And it seemed like I was losing some of the musical overtones, which took a bit of life out of music. I ended up preferring and going back to just using the 809 alone. If you do want to try a separate power amp, I would suggest making sure you get an in-home trial period and thoroughly compare the sound with and without the external amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will say, for a few years I used a Sherbourn 5/1500A power amp(200 watts per channel) for my front L/R channels in my bedroom system. My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR809, which is a pretty ballsy AVR. However, it was obvious that with the Sherbourn in use, there was more bass slam and fullness than with just the Onkyo. Interestingly, however, it seemed that the initial attack on bass drum shots was more immediate and better defined with just the Onkyo, while the impact was "fatter" and less defined with the Sherbourn.

But the biggest issue with the Sherbourn is that either it, or the interconnect cables, smeared the mids and highs, especially high vocals. Vocals and instruments were just not as clear with the Sherbourn in place. And it seemed like I was losing some of the musical overtones, which took a bit of life out of music. I ended up preferring and going back to just using the 809 alone. If you do want to try a separate power amp, I would suggest making sure you get an in-home trial period and thoroughly compare the sound with and without the external amp.
I'd say the biggest issue and determining factor for your impressions are expectation bias, lol.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'd say the biggest issue and determining factor for your impressions are expectation bias, lol.
Yeah, yeah, I knew it wouldn't be long until somebody showed up with that comment. I bought the fricking Sherbourn because, at the time, I hoped that it would improve the sound. So, if I were to have any expectation or confirmation bias, it would have been in favor of the Sherbourn, not in favor of the AVR. And I didn't come to my conclusion lightly. Rather, I compared back and forth for days and days, during which time my observation was consistent. I guess if you want to disregard your ears in your audio pursuit, go right ahead.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, yeah, I knew it wouldn't be long until somebody showed up with that comment. I bought the fricking Sherbourn because, at the time, I hoped that it would improve the sound. So, if I were to have any expectation or confirmation bias, it would have been in favor of the Sherbourn, not in favor of the AVR. And I didn't come to my conclusion lightly. Rather, I compared back and forth for days and days, during which time my observation was consistent. I guess if you want to disregard your ears in your audio pursuit, go right ahead.
The problem is your subjective experience is just that....yours. From your description hard to know what was going on what with all that smearing and such and whether it was the cables or not....good luck with all that!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You need to pull hot air OUT of the Chassis. Not Blow the HOT air back INTO the chassis.
This! My how my skin crawled when I saw that photo! :)
That fan is wrong on so many counts. You don’t have enough space for it to work properly, much less for it to get the air circulating out from the chassis of the AVR.
You need the fan mechanism to be flat against the chassis so as not to draw outside air. Likewise, you are still venting that into a constricted space. How much clearance do you have above and on the sides? Most manufacturers recommend about 6-8” without cooling... but with cooling, you need to also direct the hot air away.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
The problem is your subjective experience is just that....yours. From your description hard to know what was going on what with all that smearing and such and whether it was the cables or not....good luck with all that!
Well, when you listen to your system, I'd say it's your "subjective experience", as well. Are you telling me you've never based any gear decisions on your experience? And if a particular iteration of your system sounds more clear and defined to your ears, feel free to ignore it. No skin off my back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, when you listen to your system, I'd say it's your "subjective experience", as well. Are you telling me you've never based any gear decisions on your experience? And if a particular iteration of your system sounds more clear and defined to your ears, feel free to ignore it. No skin off my back.
I've not had an amp have such an effect, no. Let alone cables.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis