My First Concert- What was Yours?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Pink Floyd The Division Bell Tour, Vet Stadium, 1994, I just turned 16...... hasn’t been topped yet.
Got to see them 5 times. First Hollywood Bowl 1972. Then Wish You Were Here tour. Animals 2 times and last one was The Wall. I spent too much on concerts and music.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Grand Funk Railroad 1975

4 guys, Loco-Motion, Some Kind of Wonderful, 70's stage outfits and platform shoes. This was the band I saw after the departure of their former manager Terry Knight.

Their sound was tight, exact, almost computer-like. Their performance that night totally contradicted their earlier 'garage-grunge' sound they had back around 1970.

For reasons I'll never know, the singer Mark Farner got all of his hair cut off, I hardly recognized him. All in all they were very good and I must admit, Mark Farner's talent blew me away. He truly was a professional, he never missed a note. He really was the lifeblood of Grand Funk.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Grand Funk Railroad 1975

4 guys, Loco-Motion, Some Kind of Wonderful, 70's stage outfits and platform shoes. This was the band I saw after the departure of their former manager Terry Knight.

Their sound was tight, exact, almost computer-like. Their performance that night totally contradicted their earlier 'garage-grunge' sound they had back around 1970.

For reasons I'll never know, the singer Mark Farner got all of his hair cut off, I hardly recognized him. All in all they were very good and I must admit, Mark Farner's talent blew me away. He truly was a professional, he never missed a note. He really was the lifeblood of Grand Funk.
Never saw Grand Funk, but saw Mark Farner twice.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
The Allman Brothers Band.

Unfortunately, I never got to see them live. How in the world I missed seeing them when I had the chance, I don't know.

But it's my loss. What a great band. (And they're originally from Florida not Georgia)
Got to see them 1973 and 1977. Wish I could have seen them with Duane.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got to see them 1973 and 1977. Wish I could have seen them with Duane.
Same here, missed Duane except on records where he was one of the main reasons I was attracted in the first place. Berry Oakley comes to mind, too.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
My one and only concert was at a Richard Pryor comedy concert! However, there were a few local bands playing as filler before Richard took the stage. I took my gf & her sister, there were 5,000 black dudes (& dudettes) & about 25 whites. I never laughed so hard in my life! My gf nudged me & kinda looked around us, I looked and about a 100 dudes were glaring at me, like 'thats black humor honkey'. I heald out my hands and said, 'I cant help it, its funny'. they started laughing & all was cool. Was about 1973-74.

E

Erod

Audioholic
I'm humiliated to admit that my first concert was Barry Manilow. Parents took me when I was 12.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Earth Wind & Fire 1974 and 1978

California Jam 1974 (ABC-TV)
Seattle Coliseum 1978

Good band. They were not disco.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Man I wish I could have seen them live. Probably my favorite soul band.
They were always entertaining. My Pops would take me to see them around my birthday when they'd come to town. I've seen them many times in the past decade or so, too. They still sound good.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
One of the more memorable concerts for me was U2 at Joe Louis Arena, 1985 I believe. That was the first time I saw them live. Their first 3 albums struck me as being rather coarse and I had low expectations for the concert. But, when the Edge hit his stride it blew me away (okay, that's overstating it, but I was impressed).

Another concert that was memorable due to low expectations was The WHO at the LA Coliseum in 1989 (25 year anniversary tour). At the time I thought of them as being old and washed up, but Roger Daltrey had a commanding presence on stage and he really took over (and inspired a rather poorly founded hope in me that I might look like him when I reached his age).

I saw The Cars at an outdoor concert around 1984. For some reason, their performance of Drive made a huge impression on me. I'd heard it on the radio many, many times but it just seemed like a quasi pop love song to me. Live, Ben Orr put emotion into it and the song came off completely different to me.

Loudest concert was Metallica. It was in a small arena and there was a huge bank of speakers right in front of me. Knowing what I do now about tinnitus, I would not have subjected myself to it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another band that was surprisingly good live was The Tubes.
One of the best! Fee Waybill was a fellow season-ticket holder at 49er games years back, sat a few rows behind us.....he didn't seem to care for the recognition while he was trying to enjoy a game, tho.....

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
One of the more memorable concerts for me was U2 at Joe Louis Arena, 1985 I believe. That was the first time I saw them live. Their first 3 albums struck me as being rather coarse and I had low expectations for the concert. But, when the Edge hit his stride it blew me away (okay, that's overstating it, but I was impressed).

Another concert that was memorable due to low expectations was The WHO at the LA Coliseum in 1989 (25 year anniversary tour). At the time I thought of them as being old and washed up, but Roger Daltrey had a commanding presence on stage and he really took over (and inspired a rather poorly founded hope in me that I might look like him when I reached his age).

I saw The Cars at an outdoor concert around 1984. For some reason, their performance of Drive made a huge impression on me. I'd heard it on the radio many, many times but it just seemed like a quasi pop love song to me. Live, Ben Orr put emotion into it and the song came off completely different to me.

Loudest concert was Metallica. It was in a small arena and there was a huge bank of speakers right in front of me. Knowing what I do now about tinnitus, I would not have subjected myself to it.
I only saw U2 once in 1982. They opened for The J. Geils band. They were really good even back then.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
One of the best! Fee Waybill was a fellow season-ticket holder at 49er games years back, sat a few rows behind us.....he didn't seem to care for the recognition while he was trying to enjoy a game, tho.....
They were crazy in the early years. I met Prairie Prince (their drummer) and told him about the first time we saw them. He remembered the place and said The Runaways opened for them. My brother and I thought they were terrible and totally forgot. But I saw the Tubes 3 times. From the early days to late 70's Remote Control album. Now they were great.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Not saying I didn't enjoy the show but compared to other concerts I've been to U2 was just okay

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Favorite shows would be hard. Of course the first with the Doors and Airplane, Deep Purple in 1972, Alice Cooper, JoJo Gunne and Captain Beyond at the Hollywood Bowl in 1972, The Who in 1968, 1971 and 1973 (hard to pick). Paul McCartney (1976 and 2002). Pink Floyd 1972 Hollywood Bowl and all of them up to The Wall. Led Zep 1975. Cal Jam 1. Jethro Tull 1971 and all of them up until 1980. So many more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis