My First Concert- What was Yours?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Am going to show my age now, mine was in Liverpool UK back in the 1960s it was at the Empire theatre with a new band rocking up the charts called The Beatles, biggest thing was you could not hear them for all the girls screaming, put me off going to live shows for years until much later on in life.
My old neighbor said the same thing. He saw them at the Hollywood Bowl.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Other end of the spectrum. Most recent the Outlaw music festival last night. Los Lobos celebrated 50 years, the String Cheese Incident, Bob Weir and the Wolf Brothers and Willie Nelson at 90 years young!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure what my first is, but I went to see Metallica in DFW a few weeks ago.

The last night there were over 100k people there. Pretty cool.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
It was. ATT stadium is huge and it's a horrible venue. As cool as this was, I probably wouldn't go to another show there unless it was someone I HAD to see.
I went to some big ones when I was young. Cal Jam was about 250,000.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what my first is, but I went to see Metallica in DFW a few weeks ago.

The last night there were over 100k people there. Pretty cool.
I wasn't at that concert but my little sister flew in to town for it. She went on Sunday.

Next time you come up we should grab a beer :D

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Grateful Dead 4-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT

I- Bertha, Promised Land, FOTD> C.C. Rider, Ramble on Rose, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali Blues, Althea> L.L. Rain, Big R R. Blues> Let it Grow

II- Cold Rain> Samson, Ship of Fools, Playin> Eyes> D> Phil Earthquake Space> OtherOne> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydeam E: Don't ease

Since then I went to about 100+ more shows though 1994. I had tickets for the 6 show run in Boston 1995 but they got cancelled when Jerry died. Back then tickets were around $25-$30 each.

I saw The Kinks at UMass back in the 1980s. Also Warren Zevon. He was drunk and didn't come out to play until around 1am. Pathetic.

After 1994 I took a break. Then starting in 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 I went to 6 Dead and Company. I had tickets for two shows on 2020 that were cancelled because of Covid. One show in 2021 at Saratoga Spring, NY was cancelled because of a family emergency among the band members.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
That McIntosh setup for the dead was great and at the same time a nightmare to transport.

Bear was one unique individual. His determination to have the best sound vs the PAs at the time was cool and driven. I was fortunate enough to sample his other work, and whoa boy.
You got to experience a Wall of Sound show?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Grateful Dead 4-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT

I- Bertha, Promised Land, FOTD> C.C. Rider, Ramble on Rose, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali Blues, Althea> L.L. Rain, Big R R. Blues> Let it Grow

II- Cold Rain> Samson, Ship of Fools, Playin> Eyes> D> Phil Earthquake Space> OtherOne> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydeam E: Don't ease

Since then I went to about 100+ more shows though 1994. I had tickets for the 6 show run in Boston 1995 but they got cancelled when Jerry died. Back then tickets were around $25-$30 each.

I saw The Kinks at UMass back in the 1980s. Also Warren Zevon. He was drunk and didn't come out to play until around 1am. Pathetic.

After 1994 I took a break. Then starting in 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 I went to 6 Dead and Company. I had tickets for two shows on 2020 that were cancelled because of Covid. One show in 2021 at Saratoga Spring, NY was cancelled because of a family emergency among the band members.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I only saw the Dead twice. Hollywood Bowl with the new Riders 1972 and 1980 at the Long Beach Arena. I did see Bob Weir with Kingfish in 1976 I think. Starlight Amphitheater. The Welsh band Man opened for them. Great jam band, but the Dead crowd kept yelling Kingfish during their set. You are a true deadhead.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If interested in some of Bear's other work (music :) ). https://owsleystanleyfoundation.org/

While I used to go to a lot of shows (and worked backstage at a few, too), these days not so much outside of our local pub when they've got live music. If I do go to a bigger venue gotta bring the ear protection these days, too....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I remember my first concert vividly.

I was seven years old, and had saved by pocket money for a 10" LP of a couple of Handel organ concertos played by Geraint Jones. I still have the LP.
I still have that LP.

Anyhow it turned out that Geraint Jones was to perform one of the concertos at a Henry Wood Promenade Concert the Royal Albert Hall. So I twisted arms to get taken. I remember that the orchestra was the BBC symphony Orchestra conducted by the assistant conductor Basil Cameron.

I was just blown away by the music and the sound of the RAH organ, the Voice of Jupiter. The performance was totally historically incorrect, but I did not know that then. This was before the start of the early music movement. However I think Handel's music tolerates large scale performance well. In his day, Handel was always. trying to get the largest forces he could get his hands on. No composer since has created such great effects in music, even Beethoven said so. He said: - "Only at the tomb of Handel, who created such great effects with such little means, does one lift the hat and bend the knee!"

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I had over 1000 cassettes before Dead.net started selling CDs and downloads.

But this is my Grateful Dead folder in iTunes. The last column wouldn't fit.

View attachment 63458
I sold my Nakamichi CM300s in the late 90s to fund a Neumann mic, the last semblance from the early days for me. I had two very hot older cousins that drug me around everywhere. Pun what you will, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis