My First Concert- What was Yours?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I sold my Nakamichi CM300s in the late 90s to fund a Neumann mic, the last semblance from the early days for me. I had two very hot older cousins that drug me around everywhere. Pun what you will, lol.
My last cassette deck was a Marantz. Pretty good one. I remember making best of cassettes of my lps.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
My last cassette deck was a Marantz. Pretty good one. I remember making best of cassettes of my lps.
I had 2 Nakamichi BX300E decks and then a lower end Nak DR3. All used to 1: copy vinyl to tape and listen to the tapes instead of wear down the vinyls. It was very hard to tell the difference between the vinyl and the take made on those decks. and 2: Dead tape trading. I wanted to make as good a copy as I could.

I still have those decks but have no use for them for a long time so they are stored in a safe place.

I just googled the BX300E and used are still selling for $500-$1000! wow.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I had 2 Nakamichi BX300E decks and then a lower end Nak DR3. All used to 1: copy vinyl to tape and listen to the tapes instead of wear down the vinyls. It was very hard to tell the difference between the vinyl and the take made on those decks. and 2: Dead tape trading. I wanted to make as good a copy as I could.

I still have those decks but have no use for them for a long time so they are stored in a safe place.

Yeah. Those were the best back then. I also had an Akai reel to reel I gave away. That thing sounded great.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My first concert was Eddie Money at the county fair. He is local, so that was a big deal back then. My second concert was Day on the Green - Night Ranger, Eddie Money, Pretenders, Triumph and Steve Perry Journey in Oakland. Night Ranger, Eddie Money and Journey all being locals.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I remember seeing Eddie Money when he first came out. He opened for Wishbone Ash and Robin Trower at the Long Beach Arena. That was a good triple bill.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Eddie at various local shows 4 times. He was great live.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Since you will probably never use those decks again it might be a good time to sell them. And use the cash for a nice little vacation. :)

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Since you will probably never use those decks again it might be a good time to sell them. And use the cash for a nice little vacation. :)
Logically I should but I still have this dream that some day I'll use them to copy some of the tapes to FLAC or ALAC. Though frankly, bootleg tapes from 30+ years ago I have the feeling even AAC would be overkill. Only a handful could stand up to the quality that are being sold by dead.net now. But some are not available, at least now. An exercise in nostalgia I suppose.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I went to that!
I used to be friends with Bill Lordan on facebook. He was the drummer with Trower in that lineup. He even said Robin was really on that night when I told him I was at that show. So cool you were there too. I thought Wishbone Ash was hot that night.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Grateful Dead 4-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT

I- Bertha, Promised Land, FOTD> C.C. Rider, Ramble on Rose, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali Blues, Althea> L.L. Rain, Big R R. Blues> Let it Grow

II- Cold Rain> Samson, Ship of Fools, Playin> Eyes> D> Phil Earthquake Space> OtherOne> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydeam E: Don't ease

Since then I went to about 100+ more shows though 1994. I had tickets for the 6 show run in Boston 1995 but they got cancelled when Jerry died. Back then tickets were around $25-$30 each.

I saw The Kinks at UMass back in the 1980s. Also Warren Zevon. He was drunk and didn't come out to play until around 1am. Pathetic.

After 1994 I took a break. Then starting in 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 I went to 6 Dead and Company. I had tickets for two shows on 2020 that were cancelled because of Covid. One show in 2021 at Saratoga Spring, NY was cancelled because of a family emergency among the band members.
A great first concert. I saw the Dead in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Saw their last show at Cal Expo in Sacramento. Seeing the Dead in California was a different experience. Went down on the field and there was a guy completely naked grooving next to a fire in a 55 gallon drum. There was a cop standing on the other side of the drum and he didn’t bat an eye. What a long strange trip it’s been.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I
A great first concert. I saw the Dead in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Saw their last show at Cal Expo in Sacramento. Seeing the Dead in California was a different experience. Went down on the field and there was a guy completely naked grooving next to a fire in a 55 gallon drum. There was a cop standing on the other side of the drum and he didn’t bat an eye. What a long strange trip it’s been.
I never traveled very far from home. I would have liked to have tried the west coast experience but it never happened. They were always coming to the northeast. The most south I went was D.C. Most west was Buffalo, NY and most northeast was Old Orchard beach, ME. That triangle was their bread and butter.

It was kind of amazing that when their various regoupings came around as either The Otherones, The Dead and then Dead and Company, the youngsters came too and the scene was nearly identical. Most recently with Dead and Comapny it's been wonderful to see 70 year olds and kids in their teens all coming to see the show with equal enthusiasm and silliness.

Dead and Company was by far the best of the regroupings. Too bad they just finished their final tour. But it's all up on Nugs for streaming or downloading.

S

Sassafras LLC

Audioholic Intern
My first concert was Metallica at the Omni downtown Atlanta. Queensryche opened up for them

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't at that concert but my little sister flew in to town for it. She went on Sunday.

Next time you come up we should grab a beer :D
Hell yeah bud. That'd be great.

The concert was good, but the SQ was just terrible. We walked around to see if anywhere was good, but apparently, if you aren't on the floor, it sounds terrible no matter where you sit.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Hell yeah bud. That'd be great.

The concert was good, but the SQ was just terrible. We walked around to see if anywhere was good, but apparently, if you aren't on the floor, it sounds terrible no matter where you sit.
My two last shows, at Fenway Park, the first night was under the grandstand and the sound was BAD.

2023 06 24 16 56 17.JPG

The second night we were right in front of this speaker and I was surprised that it didn't kill my ears. Sound was actually very good but forget the stereo effect.

2023 06 25 20 27 19.jpg

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I

I never traveled very far from home. I would have liked to have tried the west coast experience but it never happened. They were always coming to the northeast. The most south I went was D.C. Most west was Buffalo, NY and most northeast was Old Orchard beach, ME. That triangle was their bread and butter.

It was kind of amazing that when their various regoupings came around as either The Otherones, The Dead and then Dead and Company, the youngsters came too and the scene was nearly identical. Most recently with Dead and Comapny it's been wonderful to see 70 year olds and kids in their teens all coming to see the show with equal enthusiasm and silliness.

Dead and Company was by far the best of the regroupings. Too bad they just finished their final tour. But it's all up on Nugs for streaming or downloading.
Dead and company were great! Saw them last year but missed them this year unfortunately. Just saw Bob Weir with the Wolf Brothers at the Outlaw music festival and it was mostly Deadheads so a great vibe.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
My two last shows, at Fenway Park, the first night was under the grandstand and the sound was BAD.

View attachment 63466

The second night we were right in front of this speaker and I was surprised that it didn't kill my ears. Sound was actually very good but forget the stereo effect.

View attachment 63465
Yeah Fenway has terrible sound. The only show that sounded good there was Roger Waters The Wall tour and that was because he had speakers setup all over for the sound effects. Also nowhere to tailgate which is half the fun especially Shakedown Street for Dead related shows.

E

endylo

Audiophyte
I

bangladesh-bank.org review here
I have never had the opportunity to see the Grateful Dead or their offshoots live, but I am a big fan of their music. I am especially drawn to Grateful Dead live recordings. I love the energy and spontaneity of their performances.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis