Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Good evening, just a few questions. Why does your max spl numbers differ so greatly from James’ review? I know sometimes small changes happen from testing, but you got a good jump. Really I’m talking about the 12” version. Which I just bought for my master bedroom setup. Looks like you’re 3-4 dB higher all the way up in thx mode 2 ports open. Thanks

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Another Wishy Washy member :(

Believe me the Sub you purchased is awesome.
Any yet another unhelpful, purposefully antagonistic comment from a no life member. Seriously people we need to start pushing back against certain people in this forum who behave this way. Seriously, does anyone think this comment or comments like it are useful or warranted? This guy in particular is an everyday all day offender. Seems to find some sad and depressing joy in belittling people who come here to ask questions in a seemingly futile attempt to impress his imaginary forum buddies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good evening, just a few questions. Why does your max spl numbers differ so greatly from James’ review? I know sometimes small changes happen from testing, but you got a good jump. Really I’m talking about the 12” version. Which I just bought for my master bedroom setup. Looks like you’re 3-4 dB higher all the way up in thx mode 2 ports open. Thanks
They both seem to be the same standard, wonder if this is the difference between the Klippel testing and shadyJ's outdoor method?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Erin posts his numbers with a 2 meter peak scale. My numbers are scaled to 2 meter RMS. The difference is simply that I subtract 3dB from my numbers since this is the way most other subwoofer reviewer/testers have traditionally stated their data. That doesn't explain all the differences that we see, but it does explain most of it.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I have a video discussing my measurement method. It's bulletproof.

As James said, we have different values because the numbers are referenced differently. I actually state this in my spreadsheet at the top of each results' sheet.

Then there are various effects of the environment, test method, etc that can cause differences. I have noticed differences between mine, James', and Brent Butterworth's tests but on a whole they generally seem to be comparable.

NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard

Audiophyte
No listening tests in the review? No comparison of use for music and movies?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monoprice wanted me to review it when it was announced, but I had to decline. It weighs far too much for me to handle.
On the Shad-a-holic scale of Subwoofer weight parameters, this was a whopping 2.13 Shadys. While he has been known to accept for review some Subwoofers weighing in as much as 1.47 Shadys, it is preferred that they not exceed 1.05 Shadys with bonus points being awarded to those in the sweet spot of .70-.85 Shadys.

20 Wait What Memes For When You Ran Out of Words to Say - SayingImages.com

;) :p :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
On the Shad-a-holic scale of Subwoofer weight parameters, this was a whopping 2.13 Shadys. While he has been known to accept for review some Subwoofers weighing in as much as 1.47 Shadys, it is preferred that they not exceed 1.05 Shadys with bonus points being awarded to those in the sweet spot of .70-.85 Shadys.

20 Wait What Memes For When You Ran Out of Words to Say - SayingImages.com

;) :p :cool:
so..... I shady is 101 lbs?
Max weight for review is 106.5 lbs?

Then my subs are only 0.88 Shady's but I got four of them

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
so..... I shady is 101 lbs?
Max weight for review is 106.5 lbs?

Then my subs are only 0.88 Shady's but I got four of them
I'm not heavy-set but I am not that light either! As for max weight for subs, I don't want to deal with anything much over 130 lbs, although there are some circumstances in which I might be willing to accommodate something a bit heavier.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the record, I wasn’t trying to create a weight analog based on Shady’s actual weight… I didn’t really put that much thought into it beyond knowing he doesn’t like f’ing with heavy boxes. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not heavy-set but I am not that light either! As for max weight for subs, I don't want to deal with anything much over 130 lbs, although there are some circumstances in which I might be willing to accommodate something a bit heavier.
You could invite a football team for some free exercise :D that could be a win-win. Well, I reckon stacking two separate 15” subs on top of eachother would be pretty close to that large sub, especially if you choose to run them in sealed mode.

From my point of mode, I prefer ”stacking” as opposed to those gargantuous subwoofers, it’s more manageable and you can take a more step by step approach, it also makes it clear how insane the step from 2 to 4 subs is…. I don’t see myself going back to 2 subwoofers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You could invite a football team for some free exercise :D that could be a win-win. Well, I reckon stacking two separate 15” subs on top of eachother would be pretty close to that large sub, especially of you choose to run them in sealed mode.
Why in Sealed? The big one is ported, and though I haven't checked it out very seriously, thought it was just a double version of the regular Monolith 15. *shrugs
Either way, stacking 2 single driver subs will give you the same colocation bump to SPL, just with two Amps in the mix.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Why in Sealed? The big one is ported, and though I haven't checked it out very seriously, thought it was just a double version of the regular Monolith 15. *shrugs
Either way, stacking 2 single driver subs will give you the same colocation bump to SPL, just with two Amps in the mix.
The sealed v.s. ported discussion can go on for decades I assume. I look for quality more than quantity and with these subs at least you have an option to pick what works best for you in your use case….

I reckon four amps vs two amps can make a difference

I don’t run sealed or ported but subs with passive radiator.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis