F

f0am

Audioholic
That deserves some sort of award. You know majorlooser is going to be jealous now! I thought his signs were cool.. You clearly win this contest now. :cool:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Rowdy S13 said:
These connectors are great. I have them on all of my speaker wire, and suggest them to everyone.

Sean
radioshack has the banana plugs that does the same job, but cheaper ... I just like the looks of these things better.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
f0am said:
That deserves some sort of award. You know majorlooser is going to be jealous now! I thought his signs were cool.. You clearly win this contest now. :cool:
shhhh. majorloser might kick my *** outta here. :D

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think one should be more concerned with speaker placement first before adding more speakers.

I would suggest reading some white papers from Dr. Toole on speaker and sub placement before worrying about adding additional speakers.

White Papers

The subs should oppose one another, the floorstanders need to be further from the walls, and the center channel tweeter should be closer in line with the floor standing tweeters to avoid early floor reflections and provide better on axis sound.

I realize you have space limitations but working on your speaker placement will go a long way to improving your listening experience.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Mike C

Nice set-up mate.

I’ve notched you have Back to the Future, how does it sound when playing the film at 0db THX reference level when the “Delorean” races down the street in the first film, this would be towards the point just before the lightening strikes the clock tower!

The point of interest is only the LFE.1 and only the LFE.1 (no bass manager) just LFE.1 only how does it sound when you play it at 0db THX reference level!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hi dolby, I haven't even opened the back to the future dvd box set yet. not enough time to watch all the movies I bought.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I did some changes to this setup (especially the DD) ...

I removed the Axiom, finally ... only the DD is running.
the changes I made are two-fold - so I don't know which one made THE big difference, I upped the crossover on the DD from 80hz to 146hz to avoid cascading crossovers DUH should have thought about that a long time ago. There's a subsonic filter on the DD set to 15hz ... it's default set at 24db/octave, I changed that to 6db/octave.

I now find myself not wishing for more. hmmm. I did not see how those changes affected the FR graph, because the wife did not want to hear the sweeps (we're expecting and I have to give in to everything she asks). will update asap.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I did some changes to this setup (especially the DD) ...

I removed the Axiom, finally ... only the DD is running.
the changes I made are two-fold - so I don't know which one made THE big difference, I upped the crossover on the DD from 80hz to 146hz to avoid cascading crossovers DUH should have thought about that a long time ago. There's a subsonic filter on the DD set to 15hz ... it's default set at 24db/octave, I changed that to 6db/octave.

I now find myself not wishing for more. hmmm. I did not see how those changes affected the FR graph, because the wife did not want to hear the sweeps (we're expecting and I have to give in to everything she asks). will update asap.
Mike, you can turn the DD's internal crossover OFF and let your receiver handle it alone(no need for two Xovers) this is what I have done as well as changing the subsonic filter to 6db/octave, although I don't think these changes made a dramatic change to the sound. Maybe the Axiom was messing up what the DD was doing all along:confused: Early on I stuck the CT100e in the same room ad the DD just to see how it affected multiple room responses, I tell you what...it really took something away from the DD. IMHO for quality of bass, either have multiple identical subs(even this can be problematic) or just one, not a mixture.

Nice to see you happy
BTW, I have not had an itch of upgradeitus in the sub department since the DD graced my doorstep:D

cheers:)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
but I've had the axiom away for a few days now, it really did have something to do with the change in settings.

re: bypassing crossover ... I didn't know how to bypass the crossover then ... will try the select - reset thingy when I get the chance.

but I still plan on getting other subs ... and even going DIY to have a taste of what's out there. :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
had the chance to check my FR ... it indeed changed. the boosts I applied at the 80-100hz area to correct the previous dip was now unnecessary.

I changed the crossover settings to bypass ...

I adjusted the graph a bit to flatten them (I don't have a single boost now I think)

watched ID4 again ... (same movie I watched and thought that the bass was good) it was a little bit weaker but good nonetheless. I could be getting used to the DD. I am now afraid of adding just ANY subwoofer to my setup.

hmm, maybe a DD12 as an MBM?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
These connectors are great. I have them on all of my speaker wire, and suggest them to everyone.

Sean
I don't recommend those connectors simply because of their cost. I got locking bananas from Blue Jeans for the same price (actually half the price because I had a credit on Paypal). Functionally, they work great. I have 3 sets of those bananas that I got free from a friend who owned a shop.

They sell basically the same thing as the Monster ones from GLS at www.speakerrepair.com for about half the price.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
I don't recommend those connectors simply because of their cost. I got locking bananas from Blue Jeans for the same price (actually half the price because I had a credit on Paypal). Functionally, they work great. I have 3 sets of those bananas that I got free from a friend who owned a shop.

They sell basically the same thing as the Monster ones from GLS at www.speakerrepair.com for about half the price.
I second that. Canare connectors from Blue Jean Cables. More cost effective and equal to or better performance. Locking is worth the added expense if you move your equipment a lot or will in the future.

You can do a search here for BJ. Good review and their site is no non sense. You can learn a lot from this and the BJ site about cables\connectors.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Dedicated HT#2 (closest I can get to a dedicated room)

I'm supposed to move all my HT stuff into this room before september.

here in the pics, the billiard table is being disassembled and given away ...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mike,

Great pics. Man, those are some old recumbant bikes. Are any of those guys you in the photos?

You need to do some house cleaning. ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike,

Great pics. Man, those are some old recumbant bikes. Are any of those guys you in the photos?

You need to do some house cleaning. ;)
I'm the guy in the yellow shirt ... good luck finding me!

this room has been a store room for quite some time ... stuff we think have sentimental value ... it's gonna be hard to throw them out. looks like I'm gonna have to move them to another place :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Nah, not yet ;)

Man, I'm glad it's not me moving that billard table! The slate weighs a ton.
since those same guys are gonna be the ones who will be using that table, they sure didn't seem to be "bothered" by the weight ... they looked enthusiastic to me :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis