mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, i don't have enough money for a new sub.

but i do have enough for the Egreat Networked Media Tank + 1TB external hard drive :)
it's got HDMI 1.3 (audio and video). a remote control, pretty good interface [plus the guy i ordered it from loaded the HD with HD content (if you know what i mean]

i also ordered a simple digital voltmeter to check on the voltage coming in from the power co. (using a multimeter, i think it jumps from the regular 220-230v to 250)

Last edited:
N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
Mike, just a question. Does your HT run on its own electricity grid? One that is separate from the house? :D

And if you do, what kind of transformers do you use from the High voltage grid? :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

so i aside from the NMT and HD i ordered, i also ordered this digital voltmeter :) the wife should go out of town more often

Mike, just a question. Does your HT run on its own electricity grid? One that is separate from the house? :D

And if you do, what kind of transformers do you use from the High voltage grid? :D
nope just plain 15A 220v breaker for me :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it's not really an SVS product ... but hey, they're for my SVS'es.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
What are you up to now Mike.That looks mighty serious there..........
i'm gonna try to put the drivers from the flooded u l t r a s into this new sealed enclosure (same size as the original). i was too lazy to put the ports back in.

i plan to move my setup to a smaller room so hopefully, these two and my original three u l t r a s will be sufficient in sealed mode in a 2k+ cubic foot room.

if it's not, i'll use the two as left and right subwoofers (and as L and R wide speaker stands)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
i'm gonna try to put the drivers from the flooded u l t r a s into this new sealed enclosure (same size as the original). i was too lazy to put the ports back in.

i plan to move my setup to a smaller room so hopefully, these two and my original three u l t r a s will be sufficient in sealed mode in a 2k+ cubic foot room.

if it's not, i'll use the two as left and right subwoofers (and as L and R wide speaker stands)
I'm glad you're trying to recoup what you can from those subs. The build looks very well done! I assume you received input from either SVS or some forum member about desired volume/dimensions with a sealed unit? Good luck!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad you're trying to recoup what you can from those subs. The build looks very well done! I assume you received input from either SVS or some forum member about desired volume/dimensions with a sealed unit? Good luck!
i didn't ask SVS anymore, a new enclosure is a bit too steep for me (especially when i don't know if the drivers willl last due to being exposed to that much moisture)

i built the enclosure to the exact same internal dimensions of the original enclosure with margin of error leaning towards bigger. i also wanted it to eat less footprint (thus it's tall instead of long)

if i had put some more effort to it, i could have made the vertical braces stronger, i was too lazy to measure the driver more accurately so i could make the braces "hug" the driver more closely.

still, not bad for two days work. i should be installing the driver and amp on tuesday (monday's a holiday)

the question is, should i build the second enclosure with the plate amp also built in or should i just install a speaker terminal on the second one.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I vote for speaker terminal. Because yeah I remember sometimes, well if anything goes wrong with a SVS, it's usually the amp, which then sometimes destroys the driver (IIRC).

If it's easy to keep all components as "separate", that's what I vote for.

I just ordered my first Neutrik Speakon connectors. They would look cool on your subs. I've been told they are impossible to tug out as well. They are like $3 for either the post, or the plug. They come as 2-pole or 4-pole, and you would only need a 2-pole (but 4-pole works just fine; just use 2). I suppose you could even do a single 4 conductor wire from the amps to the two subs (splitting the conductors up at either end: from respective amp, and at the respective speakon posts). I suppose that's only worth looking at if the subs are placed somewhat close to each other, and that wire mgmt is somewhat of an issue. Oh, that would also assume the use of pro amps, that have speakon to begin with.

But, don't quote me, this is totally brand new to me.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
remember that plate amp cutout? my minion based the measurement on the old cutout (yes, the one that got fat from all that water) instead of the actual amp. he is now being tortured in my secret volcano island headquarters.

thought if i* was gonna redo the cutout, might as well make them both use terminal cups:

*"i" of course means my other minions

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
remember that plate amp cutout? my minion based the measurement on the old cutout (yes, the one that got fat from all that water) instead of the actual amp. he's now being tortured in my secret volcano island headquarters.

thought if i was gonna redo the cutout, might as well make them both use terminal cups:

You and your minions ... :p

We have a saying here in the US; "the fish stinks from the head down" (or something like that :D).

Interesting plywood, I don't think i have ever seen 1" 4 ply :confused:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
that's actually 3/4" plywood. but actual thickness is about 15-16mm only.

i told the minion to get the plate amp measurement as soon as he was ready, next visit i made, he already made the cutout. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

what are those ugly strips up front?

that's the lazy way of mounting the magnetic grill

testing

haven't even cleaned the floodline on the metal grill yet

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good job Mike looking good . So are you happy with results as far as LFE ?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Nice job Mike! What did you think about the Woofer? That thing is heavy isn't it (something like 60 lbs)?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis