Martin Logan 60XTi, what to power these with?

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
How far do you sit, and the spl you mostly listen to if you don't mind sharing? Thank you.
They are 11-12 feet away. About 85 dbs generally I would say, not sure how high the peaks get, it is mostly movies as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They are 11-12 feet away. About 85 dbs generally I would say, not sure how high the peaks get, it is mostly movies as well.
I forgot to ask for the spl from one speaker, if it was measured during a movie or stereo music, most of the time you would get 3 to 5 dB louder than just one speaker. So yes it looks like the AVR alone can do the job, but I suspect without an ext fan on top the unit would run quite warm.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Following tests which were reported to have been done at the NRC in Ottawa for Sound Stage Network, this ML Motion 60XTi loudspeaker shows an impedance curve that goes down below 3 ohms between 80 and 400 Hz and with lowest values of 2 ohms at 100 Hz and at around 350 Hz. In addition, the phase angle response is really demanding with a -65° at 80 Hz. In my opinion, no AVR can handle that speaker and solid external amplification is required. The driving amplifier is actually seeing a 3 ohm speaker.

Possibly the Outlaw Monoblock would be able to handle that hard to drive speaker, but I'm not so sure. Perhaps @PENG could answer this. However, some pro audio amps such as the two channel QSC DCA 1222 definitely would, as it is specifically designed to drive in cinemas, with each channel, four 8 ohm speakers in parallel. It isn't cheap but it is reliable and you can't kill it. I'm actually using three of them in my HT:

I mentioned in another part of the forum the Niles 275 which I purchased used for 100+ shipping to drive my PSB Goldi's which were kicking my AVR's ass. They also made a more powerful version of that amp (2125 or 2150 or something). Those are designed to be stable down to 2.7 ohms (three pairs of 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel).

Crown XLS are also stable down to 2 ohms and built for rugged use. So a few inexpensive options are out there.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Just got a great deal on these locally! Paid $1800 for a pair in mint condition!
late to the party here and safe to say you've gotten a lot of good advice, just wanted to say congrats on the Logans. Excellent price on a very good speaker ! I've listened to them on several occasions and yes they do like plenty of 'stable' power. Keep us posted as to how you make out on the journey ahead.....

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
I forgot to ask for the spl from one speaker, if it was measured during a movie or stereo music, most of the time you would get 3 to 5 dB louder than just one speaker. So yes it looks like the AVR alone can do the job, but I suspect without an ext fan on top the unit would run quite warm.
Yeah that is with the whole system running, watching movies; I have not tested just a single speaker. While watching 4k discs, I usually have the volume around -8. I should test what my usual stereo/music spl is, have not done that yet (I generally listen to music less loud than I watch movies).

The top of the Denon does get warm, although not scalding. I don't have a fan but it is just sitting on a media stand in open space with nothing on top of it, so as good of ventilation as you will get without a fan.

Out of curiosity, is there some warning sign I should be looking for other than the system going into protection mode? I have not, as I said, had any issues with the volume or anything, but I don't want to be potentially damaging something without knowing it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah that is with the whole system running, watching movies; I have not tested just a single speaker. While watching 4k discs, I usually have the volume around -8. I should test what my usual stereo/music spl is, have not done that yet (I generally listen to music less loud than I watch movies).

The top of the Denon does get warm, although not scalding. I don't have a fan but it is just sitting on a media stand in open space with nothing on top of it, so as good of ventilation as you will get without a fan.

Out of curiosity, is there some warning sign I should be looking for other than the system going into protection mode? I have not, as I said, had any issues with the volume or anything, but I don't want to be potentially damaging something without knowing it.
I would suggest that you get a pair of AC Infinity fans to put on top of your Denon. That should help prolonging its life.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Depending on the ambient temperature (around 20 C/68 F )that is supposed to work well, but heat is an electronics destroyer in the long term, so some kind of external cooling will generally be beneficial.

B

Bob M

Audiophyte
any experience with Martin Logan 60XTi and a krell kav250a?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
any experience with Martin Logan 60XTi and a krell kav250a?
I’d ask in receiver section of forums , once you get over a certain price point it’s diminishing returns definitely looks like a spectacular amp tho . Does it have its own unique sound I got no clue , perhaps someone knows but has a lot of power rms .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Does it have its own unique sound I got no clue , perhaps someone knows but has a lot of power rms .
Great question, simple and straight to the point!

Here's the answer, from Krell's website:
About – Krell (krellhifi.com)

"..................Every Krell component upholds this mantle by incorporating uniquely proprietary technologies—the direct results of Krell’s R&D prowess. Krell’s discoveries in audio amplification continue to deliver unprecedented linearity, control and accuracy—which can only come from superior current capability. The resulting sound is lively and unconstrained, in a manner evocative of live performances and the true sounds of instruments—including the human voice..............."

If we can believe them, the answer is therefore "NO", they should just amplify the signal without distorting it for a "unique sound".

Those who look for some sort of unique sound should probably try the likes of Hegel (cheaper), Marantz (Vintage ones), D' Agostino (more expensive) amps.:D

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Great question, simple and straight to the point!

Here's the answer, from Krell's website:
About – Krell (krellhifi.com)

"..................Every Krell component upholds this mantle by incorporating uniquely proprietary technologies—the direct results of Krell’s R&D prowess. Krell’s discoveries in audio amplification continue to deliver unprecedented linearity, control and accuracy—which can only come from superior current capability. The resulting sound is lively and unconstrained, in a manner evocative of live performances and the true sounds of instruments—including the human voice..............."

If we can believe them, the answer is therefore "NO", they should just amplify the signal without distorting it for a "unique sound".

Those who look for some sort of unique sound should probably try the likes of Hegel (cheaper), Marantz (Vintage ones), D' Agostino (more expensive) amps.:D
Considering Dan D'Agostino was the driving force behind Krell back in the day I suspect some of the 'signature' remains. Regardless if 'unique sound' producing capability is what your after tubes are where it's at, simply 'roll in' your own flavor !

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Just to close this thread for future readers.

I purchased a Denon X4400 and love it. For movies, TV, games, works great, and doesn't get hot with two fans on top.

I do notice some light clipping when I'm critically listening to music at high volumes. When I'm listening to music normally I don't notice.

I probably won't get any amps since I rarely listen to music critically at high volumes.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just to close this thread for future readers.

I purchased a Denon X4400 and love it. For movies, TV, games, works great, and doesn't get hot with two fans on top.

I do notice some light clipping when I'm critically listening to music at high volumes. When I'm listening to music normally I don't notice.

I probably won't get any amps since I rarely listen to music critically at high volumes.
If I was in your situation, I would try an external 3 channel power amp to drive the front speakers. That would relieve the power supply in your AVR of any struggling at higher volumes, and give you more headroom for a spacious sound performance. The 3 channel Monoprice or three Outlaw Model 2220 Monoblocks would obviously do the job.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis