Marcus Oakley's "Best Recommendation" Questions

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm thinking 'NO' is pretty much the answer to everything you just asked.

Projectors are highly susceptible to vibrations, so mounts are rarely on swing-arms unless they are VERY cheap, which means nobody understands, or they are VERY expensive. When they are expensive, they are designed to get it out of the way, not shift the location for a different type of setup.

With an 11' throw distance you can have an image size between 101" and 132" diagonal. It is not able to go beyond that from that distance. Be aware that throw distance is measured from lens to screen, not wall to wall.

As well, basically NO home theater projector is designed to handle a screen much above 150" or 160" in size without appearing dim.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by " have a fantastic picture without altering the brightness light ambience".
As you increase image size, the light falling on every square foot of the screen will be less and less, so the image will appear dimmer. Since most people have a center channel an a border around a good screen, they don't have more than about 6' of total height to work with, which is a 147" diagonal image. So, that's the upper edge of how projectors are designed. If you are talking about getting a LCD TV like image while leaving all of your lights on, then ... geez, no. That's not how any of this works.

Home theater projectors are designed to recreate the movie theater experience. They are not designed to be used in rooms with lots of ambient light and they don't do a good job once the image size starts getting too big. You have to understand that your source will matter a GREAT deal with the really large size as well. HD downloads and movie streams from Netflix are good, but won't measure up to what you get on Blu-ray Disc. Then you have cable TV which is even lower quality quite often. Your source content will matter a lot.

I would worry less about size, and more about getting a quality image, because at 120" diagonal, that's likely much larger image than you've ever had before. You can go to an Epson 1060 and get 148" diagonal from 11' lens to screen. Shorter throw models may have issues with sharpness as size increases, but the 1060 may be a decent way to go if you want a slightly bigger image.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi

my question is im after buying 2 diy subs
that will compete with the svs pb16 ultra subwoofer
i want them to go down to the same low frequency
for all out bone rattling wall shuddering effect
and want them to perform as good as the svs pb16 ultra subwoofers

but i want them at a lot lower price to pay

what diy subs could i use to do this role

my setup is emotiva t2 for fronts and rear dutys as well and additional t2s for additional extra rears
plus using a denon 8500 for reciever
a emotiva xpa2 gen3 amp and a emotiva a300 to enhance the front speakers
a oppo 205 4k player
blue jeans speaker cables
a emotiva c2 centre speaker

then i want to use 6 atmos in ceiling speakers

either from klipsh or montitor audio or kef
model to be worked out later which to use for the best wide dispersion and sound quality and holographic effect to be detimined

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi

i want to use very wide dispersion in ceiling atmos effect in ceiling speakers
that sound incredible from above
where you can hear every fine detail effect from above that sound holographic
with a complete 3d field bubble effect all around you

i was thinking either monitor audio 380 idc or kef 200rr thx or klipsh cdt-5800-c 2 version or any other in ceiling speaker that would do an even better task for what i asked for

i asked dolby laboroties whats ideal to use they said choose in ceiling speakers with the following effect
In general, when choosing overhead speakers, our general direction for overheads is the following
my room is 20 feet wide 11 feet depth 15 feet height

• Ideally timbre matched to the listener level speakers
  • Ideally power matched to the listener level speakers
  • Ideally as wide of frequency performance as possible with bass signals redirected to the LFE
  • High diffusion (plus/minus 45 degrees) for ceilings 8 to 15 feet high
so what do you all recommend to use

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd mount some BMRs to the ceiling, they have great off axis performance

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Post pics of your room so we can get an idea of things.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
When you say “DIY,” are you talking about a bass driver that’s going into a box that you intend to build yourself?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm assuming you already know how to build a very high quality enclosure for your woofer/woofers and will have a solid subwoofer amplifier available to you for use. That said, I would likely look at some of the car subs, then build and tweak for the specific room you are putting it into.

I'm not sure there is any difference between the standard JL Audio 13W7 in home subwoofer and their in-car version when it comes to the driver itself.

I might look at something like this paired with a very powerful amp...
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-HCCA122-HCCA-5000W-DVC/dp/B009MA716K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B00C7731XC&imprToken=8bbqNg9rJztsUql-HEgvIQ&slotNum=11&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524513796&sr=1-1&keywords=Orion+HCCA122+12"+HCCA+Series+2+Ω+5000W+DVC&linkCode=w61&tag=dan0389-20&linkId=382cde71df3869785fffe23929434862&sp_asc_r=1&th=1

It's relatively inexpensive compared to some competitors and has solid reviews.

My recommendation would be to go into some more specific building forums with active community members and get some recommendations. If you have the tools, skills, and time to do it yourself, then I would love to read about your experience when it's all done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would love to read about your experience when it's all done.
I think we'd all like to read about any actual experiences marcus has had, particularly any based on the fantasy setups he's posted about here over and over.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think we'd all like to read about any actual experiences marcus has had, particularly any based on the fantasy setups he's posted about here over and over.
I recommend BMRs for his wide dispersion atmos solution. Also asked for pics... still waiting

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Don't do that to Dennis. ;) Ls50s
There's about as much of a chance of contact with Dennis as there is contact from Jupiter. Its gotta be the 1k thread following the same format. Not once has he ever helped us help him. There was mention of a disorder he might have and if that's the case I'd volunteer my services for free if asked. I'd fly anywhere in the CONUS to help. I'm a firm believer in giving back, especially if it is in regards to a hobby.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
I NEED TO NO WHICH PAINT TO USE FOR BEST USE AS MY PROJECTOR SCREEN EITHER Valspar Brand 1 Gallon White ColorStyle Interior Latex Satin Enamel Wall Paint OR Valspar trade Valspar trade Base A Satin Paint base 1L Plastic container I WANT THE VERY BEST PICTURE QUALITY RESULTS USING A BENQ 2150ST PROJECTOR IS THE BASE A PAINT SAME AS THE BASE 1 PAINT

OR CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY OTHER PAINT THAT WILL PRODUCE A PICTURE WITH THE SAME QUALITY AS THE Stewart Studiotek PROJECTOR SCREEN

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You may get a few results here, but for this type of very specific, very specialized question, you are better asking in the DiY forum over at AVSForum. Not that I take any pride in redirecting away from here, but there is a fairly long list of people there that love to test with and use different paints on their wall.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You may get a few results here, but for this type of very specific, very specialized question, you are better asking in the DiY forum over at AVSForum. Not that I take any pride in redirecting away from here, but there is a fairly long list of people there that love to test with and use different paints on their wall.
What is wrong with those guys on the AVSForum? They need to get a life!:rolleyes:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What is wrong with those guys on the AVSForum? They need to get a life!:rolleyes:
Sometimes.... for sure.
I have a love/hate relationship with that forum as they can really get into the DEEP weeds with certain subjects which makes asking a general question and getting a general answer very difficult at times. Other times it's amazingly useful and the general information there can be quite good on certain subjects. I like several sections of the forums, but the level of DiY is pretty crazy and there are guys that just don't understand why anyone would pay others to do A/V work for them when it only takes 9,000 hours to do it yourself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis