Main speaker as center

CWM

CWM

Junior Audioholic
This might be a dumb question, but is using the same tower speaker as a center speaker bad or ideal?

B

Brettc

Audioholic
That’s my plans, and the rear surrounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This might be a dumb question, but is using the same tower speaker as a center speaker bad or ideal?
If you can accommodate one, that is usually the best way. Another option is to use the Bookshelf version of the same tower.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
THX originally spec'd using identical speakers all around- it provides the most natural sound.I don't understand why rear speakers should produce less than full range if natural sound is the goal. The problem is that towers are usually not a good shape or size for the application when equipment is placed in front of the viewer.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, this is ideal in any situation in which you can accomplish it.

In theaters, you typically use a acoustically transparent screen with three identical speakers behind it for left, center, and right.

Great way to go!

CWM

CWM

Junior Audioholic
Awesome! I currently have polk as my front and rear. Been looking at centers and just thought why not. There about 54" tall but with a 75" 4k that I have a tilt mount.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just consider that most center speakers are merely a design compromise to place under/over the tv as a tv isn't acoustically transparent like you can do with a projection screen. Having a tv so high up above towers OTOH....

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It all depends on the height of the towers. Main speakers don't necessarily have to be towers.

For example, my main speakers are less than 35" tall and they're on casters:
DSCF1437(red.).jpg

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Matching LCRs is the way to go if you can pull it off. My SVS Prime towers almost fit under my TV anyway so I just moved the TV up a few inches.

C877DE9E-CB1F-4A55-B8DF-524CD9BD1495.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Matching LCRs is the way to go if you can pull it off. My SVS Prime towers almost fit under my TV anyway so I just moved the TV up a few inches.
It all depends on the height of the towers. Main speakers don't necessarily have to be towers.

For example, my main speakers are less than 35" tall and they're on casters:
I really like your rigs. I like when people post real life rigs unlike those brochure ones. I'm not a voyeur, I just like getting ideas from real life situations.

I will say my GF would never go for any of the two. I think we should have more of the "post the pics of your system" threads, ours is fairly slow and empty. Mine is too far from being done for me to show. One more reason why I like to see what you people are doing.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I really like your rigs. I like when people post real life rigs unlike those brochure ones. I'm not a voyeur, I just like getting ideas from real life situations.

I will say my GF would never go for any of the two. I think we should have more of the "post the pics of your system" threads, ours is fairly slow and empty. Mine is too far from being done for me to show. One more reason why I like to see what you people are doing.
Is it a cost issue or appearance? I’m helping a friend of mine put together a system but he doesn’t want to spend and ton and it can’t take up half the room like mine does. So I sold him me used Marantz SR7008 and he’s going to order some decent bookshelves, a center and satellites. Plus a sealed sub. The book shelves are only like 8”w x 10”t so they don’t look imposing. The sub is a 12” but the cabinet is only a 14” cube. All said and done he’ll probably come out under $2k for the whole thing but it’ll sound great.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Appearance. I could probably talk her into anything, but I'd feel bad. I'm also very much into visual aesthetic, so my guess is she would approve what I'd choose. What bookshelves is he ordering?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Appearance. I could probably talk her into anything, but I'd feel bad. I'm also very much into visual aesthetic, so my guess is she would approve what I'd choose. What bookshelves is he ordering?
He’s ordering the SVS Prime bookshelves. After hearing my systems he’s really taken with those speakers so he wants something similar. My second system has all the same speakers he’s getting for his.

This picture is a bit dark, but you get the idea.

29384632-99AA-42E9-B704-1FEF1C59689A.jpeg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nice! Looks good!

I need to experiment with different sub placements but my room isn’t that big and those subs take up a lot of real estate.
My room is on the big sub and a great spot for my subs was behind the couches in a near field setup

Those are PB 2000's correct? I used to own those and loved them how do you like them?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
My room is on the big sub and a great spot for my subs was behind the couches in a near field setup

Those are PB 2000's correct? I used to own those and loved them how do you like them?
Yeah. I almost got a pair of the 1000s at the time but my wife actually convinced me to get the bigger ones. “You won’t be disappointed if you get more speaker than you need but you will be if you get less than you expected”

I love them. In the space I have they work really well. They’re only turned up about half way on the sub and about -3 on the AVR. That’s usually enough.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah. I almost got a pair of the 1000s at the time but my wife actually convinced me to get the bigger ones. “You won’t be disappointed if you get more speaker than you need but you will be if you get less than you expected”

I love them. In the space I have they work really well. They’re only turned up about half way on the sub and about -3 on the AVR. That’s usually enough.
Man your wife just recieved the coolest wife award ever award. I'm single so I just get to do what I want but that is usually not the answer most of the fellas get from there wives sometimes Lol :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Dude those were awesome subs I traded up for the 4000's my space is bigger but man I loved the 2000's when I had them wish I had the space I would've just kept the 2000's in the bedroom! Just bought the 4000's outright

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Dude those were awesome subs I traded up for the 4000's my space is bigger but man I loved the 2000's when I had them wish I had the space I would've just kept the 2000's in the bedroom! Just bought the 4000's outright
Haha, that’s more or less my plan. Each upgrade for the main system means a hand-me-down upgrade for the second!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis