Love ‘em or hated them??? Logitech universal remotes

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
how long will you be able to program these remotes I lost me usb cord cannot find it and the charger haha. What a shame the touchscreen model was very quality, my lower end one isn’t programmed to my avr somehow . So it’s never used either .. why does such a good product bite the dust , does it not sell well enough?
I see a few models failed to be durable tho .
The cable is a common part, not proprietary to Harmony remotes.

highfigh

highfigh

Does anyone have a Harmony Companion? I have the Smart Hub and love it. Very simply and durable as a result. Can pick up a companion as a backup for $20 and figure I might go ahead as they don't make em anymore. Probably a waste of $20 frankly but I tend to do this when I find something I like
The main thing I don't like about the Companion is when the activity doesn't work- there's no Help button. I can manually make the correct change, but that's not the point and they could have made an assignable Help button that could be a long press on a button that's not used very frequently. Aside from that, my Companion has worked since early 2016.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The cable is a common part, not proprietary to Harmony remotes.
Yeah no clue we’re my remote quick charger went , but I found 2 cables in my cable bin I can charge it with . I Can’t tell which is better .
My cheaper harmony with buttons won’t seem to turn off my devices , but works for the volume mostly . The touch one is better .

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
The remote that comes with ATT Satellite, turns on/off the AVR, ATT Receiver and the TV. It changes channels and adjusts the AVR volume. When I want to listen to internet music, when going to bed, I use the Denon remote. I prefer the ATT remote over my 5+ year old 650 remote, on the shelf, which needs to be re-programmed.

For the DVD player for any movies, which is seldom, I use the Denon remote.

highfigh

highfigh

I've had mixed results with HDMI CEC in my old setup and just enable as much of it as needed to work with my Logitech Harmony remote (power on/off disabled where I can, for instance). But my Harmony activities does more that CEC can do, though, so there is that.
I like CEC in a very simple application, like one TV, one source. If the system has an AVR, fine but if I have a universal remote and equipment that functions with discrete commands, I go that route.

The sad part about Harmony going away is that the buttons could be customized so easily, to tailor the function to the way people need these to work. When I was using the H1000, Tech Support told me I couldn't do some of the things I wanted and that, to me, is a dare- aside from controlling lighting, which never happened, I was pretty happy with their remotes. The H1000 didn't have buttons at the sides of the screen and when people said they wanted those, the H1100 had them.

highfigh

highfigh

The biggest complaint I had with most Harmony remotes was the Device button. I want the commands needed for the activities to show, but not the whole list for each device. Apparently, they did their testing on people who understood that using the device-specific commands would cause all kinds of problems and a former customer just didn't want to listen, or use the cheat sheets I left. One time, I showed up for a trouble call (the system worked fine, he just couldn't follow my directions) and it was powered on, switched to the wrong input on the preamp and the volume was cranked, with a bit of hiss coming from the speakers. If he had stumbled upon the correct input and the music had started, he would have blown the speakers, I would have had to talk him off of a ledge and the manufacturers wouldn't have covered the blown speakers under warranty unless I did some fancy tap dancing and begging. I turned it down, went back to the Activity Mode and pressed the button for whatever I wanted it to do- worked perfectly. He's the type who thinks he knows all about this stuff, but when it doesn't work properly, he's PO'd. The same day, I found the last cheat sheet on the desk in the 2nd floor office which wouldn't be a problem if it had been a copy, but it wasn't and the system is on the first floor.

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah no clue we’re my remote quick charger went , but I found 2 cables in my cable bin I can charge it with . I Can’t tell which is better .
My cheaper harmony with buttons won’t seem to turn off my devices , but works for the volume mostly . The touch one is better .
Which model is it?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What quick charger are you referring to? That model has replaceable batteries. The cable is only for programming.
I have a different model also I gotta check pc for model number , the 350 doesn’t seem to do anything for my avr except volume . Which broke on my onkyo avr remote won’t turn down .
wish ida got a screen protector:( bestbuy didn’t have it .
A341AFBC-0AB6-498A-8E9A-BA431D8B227D.jpeg
2B6821B9-08AE-46C5-8A13-E5A6E013448A.jpeg

highfigh

highfigh

I have a different model also I gotta check pc for model number , the 350 doesn’t seem to do anything for my avr except volume . Which broke on my onkyo avr remote won’t turn down .
wish ida got a screen protector:( bestbuy didn’t have it .View attachment 59331View attachment 59332
You need to program it to perform the command related to an activity, not just add the devices and expect it to work for you.

A screen protector will disable the touch screen.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You need to program it to perform the command related to an activity, not just add the devices and expect it to work for you.

A screen protector will disable the touch screen.
Oh I’ll try reading 350 manual online. Mine is lost or gone .. just seems kinda useless remote except for volume .
Oh well just a little scratch it happens right !

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I see people post quite a bit about problems with hdmi-cec still :) I certainly had my issues with it when I tried to use it for ARC but went to harmony remotes instead. I'm not really expecting the HDMI-CEC issues to get fixed, as there's apparently between some leeway for the manufacturer's choices as well as no real enforcement for intercompatibility testing....
Agreed! It will be interesting to see where companies like Amazon go in the future with their control products( remotes, apps, echoes, etc) considering that younger generations "expect" full control over all gear out of the box and they expect "works with Alexa" to mean they just speak or push a command via a button and it will works.

I'm ordering one of these for my mother-in-law to evaluate and it seems like a potentially good product that doesn't require paying a CI to program. It's about $200 less then the base models from URC and RTI remotes with the associated equipment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed! It will be interesting to see where companies like Amazon go in the future with their control products( remotes, apps, echoes, etc) considering that younger generations "expect" full control over all gear out of the box and they expect "works with Alexa" to mean they just speak or push a command via a button and it will works.

I'm ordering one of these for my mother-in-law to evaluate and it seems like a potentially good product that doesn't require paying a CI to program. It's about $200 less then the base models from URC and RTI remotes with the associated equipment.

I have a Sofabaton, too, not as easy to program macros as the Harmony remotes....but the data base had everything I needed for components that I was working with.

This thread had me looking for a replacement of the Ultimate remote I killed with a cup of coffee, found one on ebay, just finished setting it up, altho had to do some resets for it to work correctly but not too bad. Definitely the nicest Harmony remote as far as feel in the hand that I've got (600,650,665 and 700 I've used too).

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The main thing I don't like about the Companion is when the activity doesn't work- there's no Help button. I can manually make the correct change, but that's not the point and they could have made an assignable Help button that could be a long press on a button that's not used very frequently. Aside from that, my Companion has worked since early 2016.
I went ahead and picked it up. For $20 it was a no brainer. It's a backup to the simpler smart controls we use. Wish you could program 2 remotes to the same hub (smart and companion). You can only do 2 if you have a smart/companion and one of the hubs with a graphic like ultimate or elite.

highfigh

highfigh

I went ahead and picked it up. For $20 it was a no brainer. It's a backup to the simpler smart controls we use. Wish you could program 2 remotes to the same hub (smart and companion). You can only do 2 if you have a smart/companion and one of the hubs with a graphic like ultimate or elite.
Not only two, you can program a lot of remotes for one hub. With the app and a smart device, there's no reason someone will be left without a remote if their dog chews it up (has happened to one of my customers). His didn't use an app, though- also needs serial connection in order to program it.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I have a Sofabaton, too, not as easy to program macros as the Harmony remotes....but the data base had everything I needed for components that I was working with.

This thread had me looking for a replacement of the Ultimate remote I killed with a cup of coffee, found one on ebay, just finished setting it up, altho had to do some resets for it to work correctly but not too bad. Definitely the nicest Harmony remote as far as feel in the hand that I've got (600,650,665 and 700 I've used too).
How did they acquire the database- users? When I checked out the Sofabaton, it had almost nothing for me as far as brands and codes. TEch support tried to help, but they weren't very experienced with these and everyone I communicated with (including phone calls) seemed to be engineers.

I'm not a fan of using the buttons on a remote for programming. I think the Sofabaton X1 is a good looking remote, but I'll need to watch some videos for this model (if they have any)- the ones I watched for the original one weren't very informative WRT programming.

highfigh

highfigh

Oh I’ll try reading 350 manual online. Mine is lost or gone .. just seems kinda useless remote except for volume .
Oh well just a little scratch it happens right !
If you don't remember the login name/password, it's possible to recover it or clone the account- you can do that in the software if you look in the troubleshooting area. Worst case, you can e-mail or call them and the tech support staff will help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis