Audioholic
Review: Logitech Harmony 550
Description: Advanced Universal Remote
MSRP: 129.99
Newegg.com: $89.99
Audioholics: $129.99 for the Harmony 670
Reviewer : Joe Schibani (AKA Joeteck)

Intro:

Today "audioholics" (small pun there) like to have many MANY components connected to their receivers and doing so you also inherit more remotes. Only problem here is that you are the only one who can watch TV, because no one else has a degree in remotes 101. Your wife calls to you and says, and out of frustration " Honey? How do you turn on the %$#@ TV?" Because she has no idea that you have to press the source button to select HDMI 1 input on the TV, then you have to get the receivers remote and select HDMI 1 on that, Then you have to turn on either your cable box and or DVD / BD player, or even maybe your VCR. This is way to complicated for the other family members to watch TV. Kinda makes us have a purpose again, Job security of the remotes. The Harmony series remote takes away all of this frustration!
Logitech makes many models for you to choose from. I bought the Harmony 550, because I was not sure if I was going to like it. The more expensive models are nicer, but did I really need those other features. Lets take a look at the 550:

* One-Touch Control: Choose the activity you want to do, not the device (component) you want to turn on.
* Up to 12 Components: Control video, audio, and gaming.
* Customizable Buttons: Put your most frequent activities at your fingertips.
* Sound and Picture Buttons: Configure your preferences with just one button.
* Learning Port: Add favorite functions from an old remote just by pointing it at your Harmony.
* Online Wizard: Plug into a USB port, connect to the internet, and walk right through initial setup or adding equipment.
* Incredible Compatibility: From laser disc to Blu-Ray® disc, find your components in our device database.

You need a computer to program the remote. After you install the software and plug it into your USB port, and you start telling it what components you have, It goes online and downloads the remote information for that device. The 550 can do 12 components, which I think is more than enough for any audioholic!

Pros:
This remote is the absolute best thing you can ever own! The only feature I use, and you will see why in a moment, is the Activity button. You're probably saying, Why Joe? Well, (this is the coolest part) The activities button allows you to program a series of commands for turning on each component, one right after the another. Yes, you read that correctly! You program it in the software, since it already downloaded all of the functions of your remotes during the adding of the devices, it now knows what it needs to send to each device based on what you need. For example; To watch TV, You need the cable box, receiver, and TV turned on. You press the Activities button, then one of the activities you programed, such as "Watch TV". The remote then sends a IR signal to the cable box to turn on, then a signal to the receiver to turn on, and then it selects HDMI 1, then it turns on the TV, and selects HDMI 1 as well, now you can watch TV. Its that simple. Now lets say you want to watch a DVD, you press Activites and then select "Watch DVD". Since it knows the other components are on (TV and receiver), it does not bother with those, but it turns off the cable box, and turns on the DVD player, and then selects the DVD input on the receiver. I know awesome stuff!! To power down, simply press the power button on the 550, and it shuts everything down in sequence... God, I love this remote!

CONs:
NONE!

Final thoughts:
Its awesome! Now go buy one! The 550 only does IR, however the 890 does RF as well, which is good if you needed to turn on your Wii. But I can live without that feature and a couple hundred in my pocket. This is the coolest remote Logitech has ever made! I rate this 10 out of 10. Its a well thought out product, and most of all, it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you think the 550 is nice, you should get the Harmony One... it will blow your mind.

Joeteck

Joeteck

Audioholic
yes, if you like the harmony one, you should see the Harmony 1100, that will blow your mind. :D

I'm aware of all the models... and which is why I bought the 550. Had everything I needed, and that was turn on and off my stuff.. But at a much lower cost.

All the harmony remotes do the same functions, just upgrading the activity buttons from 4 to 6 to 8, or making it touch screen (a useless feature) and adding RF in some cases , yes it cool, but most people (including myself) just need something to turn stuff on and off, the Logitech Harmony 550 did it very nicely.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis