Looking for a new receiver.

L

Lbcowman

Audiophyte
My current receiver is an HTR-6130. My only complaint within that it passes HDMI audio to my monitor I have spent hours looking in settings trying to disable the by-pass but to no prevail. I would like a cheap receiver that has 7.1 surround sound and takes the audio from HDMI rather than passing it to the monitor. My other Option would be to buy a Omega sound card and run a non pcm s/pidif signal to my current receiver (the new sound card is around $100). I’m currently using the analog multi-channel input but would much prefer to use digital signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. Just looked at the manual.
That. Is. Stoopid.

How much you wanna spend?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't really complain about something that never did what you wanted. Per the manual:
Audio signals input at the HDMI jack are not output from any speaker terminals but output from the connected video monitor.To enjoy the sound from speakers connected to this unit,– make an analog or digital connection besides the HDMI connection (see page 16).– mute the volume of the connected video monitor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the audio work around mentioned in the manual? Just what is your system overall and what sources? For $100 you're going to have to look used and just see what's available to you via craigslist or whatever but that's going to take some patience too I think.

L

Lbcowman

Audiophyte
How about the audio work around mentioned in the manual? Just what is your system overall and what sources? For $100 you're going to have to look used and just see what's available to you via craigslist or whatever but that's going to take some patience too I think.
yeah, I'm trying to get some idea of models that would fit into my specifications.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yeah, I'm trying to get some idea of models that would fit into my specifications.
That's the first avr I've ever seen with hdmi input that couldn't use the audio, I think pretty much any newer model would be fine. Just check the manual for functionality before you buy. Very hard to give you a list of avrs that suffice, there are hundreds of them....

L

Lbcowman

Audiophyte
That's the first avr I've ever seen with hdmi input that couldn't use the audio, I think pretty much any newer model would be fine. Just check the manual for functionality before you buy. Very hard to give you a list of avrs that suffice, there are hundreds of them....
yeah, Ok thanks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I believe he’s looking under a hundred bucks though...
eBay!!!!!

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
That's crazy lame.

It's not that old of a model is it? Now I see why I download user manuals and check the product out first. But I don't know if I'd think to look for something so obvious. Sounds like the used market is the only choice, but that's going to be a squeaker.

Can anybody think of a potential hack?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's crazy lame.

It's not that old of a model is it? Now I see why I download user manuals and check the product out first. But I don't know if I'd think to look for something so obvious. Sounds like the used market is the only choice, but that's going to be a squeaker.

Can anybody think of a potential hack?
I'm thinking just a really early adoption of hdmi still thinking it was all about the tv? I can't imagine why I'd want to be so limited myself. Maybe that's why I've never heard of another avr that does this. I'd just use the workaround suggested in the manual or get another avr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might tour the thrift/goodwill type shops in your area, too....in some areas that can yield good results....others not so much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might tour the thrift/goodwill type shops in your area, too....in some areas that can yield good results....others not so much.
YeH for sure, ours pawn shops are pretty good here. Second hand stores are hit or miss, but you never know!!! I have good luck at garage sales and estate sales sometimes too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
YeH for sure, ours pawn shops are pretty good here. Second hand stores are hit or miss, but you never know!!! I have good luck at garage sales and estate sales sometimes too.
Just take along a device so you can look manuals up on the 'net if doubting what it can/can't do.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis