Living Room Center Channel

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Are the measurement lines perfectly accurate?

My Dad has an old Ryobi (before they got bought) with all the aluminum rails and fold out tables that he scored cheap because it was an open box, there was one insignificant scratch... Anyway, the fence has to be squared front and rear and the measurement markings are useless, at best! I've only used it for quantity ripping of wood for face frames and such. 3/4" boards start to stress the saw, whereas my track saws can rip almost 2" thick boards effortlessly!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Are the measurement lines perfectly accurate?

My Dad has an old Ryobi (before they got bought) with all the aluminum rails and fold out tables that he scored cheap because it was an open box, there was one insignificant scratch... Anyway, the fence has to be squared front and rear and the measurement markings are useless, at best! I've only used it for quantity ripping of wood for face frames and such. 3/4" boards start to stress the saw, whereas my track saws can rip almost 2" thick boards effortlessly!
The directions have you square the fence to the miter channel, which was a pain because there's just the slightest bevel. However, after a little manipulating, clamping, and several tries I think I got it pretty straight. I just did a couple test cuts 4", 3", and 2" and they were dead on with a piece of pressure treated 2x4. I'm curious to see how it goes with larger pieces and plywood.

Prior to the fence replacement I've had zero trouble with 2x4's and notching 4x4's. It definitely needs it's own 20 amp line to keep it from overdrawing, but otherwise it's been surprisingly good. Which is why I upgraded the fence instead of looking into a replacement. This means I can set my sights on a band saw :D

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The directions have you square the fence to the miter channel, which was a pain because there's just the slightest bevel. However, after a little manipulating, clamping, and several tries I think I got it pretty straight. I just did a couple test cuts 4", 3", and 2" and they were dead on with a piece of pressure treated 2x4. I'm curious to see how it goes with larger pieces and plywood.

Prior to the fence replacement I've had zero trouble with 2x4's and notching 4x4's. It definitely needs it's own 20 amp line to keep it from overdrawing, but otherwise it's been surprisingly good. Which is why I upgraded the fence instead of looking into a replacement. This means I can set my sights on a band saw :D
Band saws are fun! Also one of the safest saws you can use...

I'll be ordering a Festool Carvex jigsaw in the not too distant future for the curved frame bits of my center channel.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hooray for shipping numbers! Should ship today. Guess this means I need to get my butt in gear and build that cabinet. New fence should help :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So finally got to HD to get some ply. My local place was out of the good birch ply until Thursday, but I knew I was going to have today and tomorrow off and I would have some time to get a little done so Home Depot won out.

After digging through the pile of birch plywood to find one that wasn't warped, didn't have a big knot in it, and didn't have big gashes in it, I finally found one that was moderately acceptable.

I also set up an old pair of DIY speakers that I partially finished and have been just taking up space. RAAL 70-20 tweeters with dual Satori mid woofers and a passive radiator. Being driven by the Perreaux that my Ex's Dad repaired and upgraded for me.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to finish the front corners into a rounds you could cut some 45 degree stock from 1 inch lumber like 1 x 6 on the table saw and then flush trim route it to fit the two edges and then round it over.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Well, not being one for sitting around and musing, I made a choice. Rick from Selah got back to me and after a few e-mails put a deposit down on a custom designed center using the 70-10. Will be a WMTW with 6.5" woofers and a 4.5" mid. Should be interesting and a bit smaller than the enormous Source Center I'm currently using in the living room..................although not by much.

My directive from the woman was something smaller......she should have specified how much :D
You'll be really happy with Rick. He's a good guy and his products are top-notch.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I notice you got some tearout on the cuts. You might try some blue painter tape or a zero clearance insert.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I notice you got some tearout on the cuts. You might try some blue painter tape or a zero clearance insert.
Tear out was on the “bad side”, perfect cuts on the “good side”. Although I will try the painters tape in the future because I’d rather there not be. I’ll have to look into a zero clearance insert for my saw. Although maybe I can just use the insert I have and make a template.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's so good to have adequate space to build speaker enclosures.

I am about through with building speaker cabinets. But if I had to build some more, I would definitely envy you.

By the way, you have the right equipment and you do a wonderful job with your equipment.

I am anxious to see the finished front center channel cabinet.

Cheers,

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I appreciate it. Pretty much I buy tools to compensate for my lack of woodworking skills :D Even that doesn't keep me from buggering up things now and again, but these are coming along alright so far.

Are you going to or did you already start a build thread? I'd love to see someone else's project.

It's so good to have adequate space to build speaker enclosures.

I am about through with building speaker cabinets. But if I had to build some more, I would definitely envy you.

By the way, you have the right equipment and you do a wonderful job with your equipment.

I am anxious to see the finished front center channel cabinet.

Cheers,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis