Living Room Center Channel

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That miter saw is looking pretty bare!
One of these will make a big difference in precision and tear-out:

He is fancier than me, I just use 3/4" ply and 1/2" screws from the back rather than countersinking and putting a nut on the backside.
Once it is done, the kerf in the fence lets you know exactly where you cut line will be!
Also note that you will lose some of the utility of the fence once you make bevel and angle cuts. I don't do that often, but I consider the fence a sacrificial item for that reason.

Last, he cut a V-notch in the back of his. It must be for clearance of some sort. Mine is a simple chop saw (not a slider) and I have no need to do that. Also, I consider it a cardinal sin to remove the fence and put it back on because it will take a lot of tedium to get it as perfect as it was before!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I appreciate it. Pretty much I buy tools to compensate for my lack of woodworking skills :D Even that doesn't keep me from buggering up things now and again, but these are coming along alright so far.

Are you going to or did you already start a build thread? I'd love to see someone else's project.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the Altec 511B Horns in my 3 front cabinets with two Peerless 5¼ inch midbass drivers passively crossing over at 3200Hz to an Airborne Air Motion Ribbon tweeter. Afterwards, I replaced the Altec 416-8A woofers with Dayton RSS390HF-4 subs for the three enclosures. I am obtaining a very smooth response in the mid-high frequencies, but need to eventually work to smooth out the low frequencies. I am seriously thinking of getting a MiniDSP NanoAVR DL 8 channel processor for the job.

Lately, to supplement my Marantz SR5010, I have added three QSC DCA1222, which are 2 channel Digital Cinema Amplifiers, 325w/ch @ 4 ohms, to drive my front speakers with active bi-amplification by filtering action between the subs and the midwoofers. Also, I have just ordered QSC XC-3 Electronic Crossovers which will replace the DBX223XS units. Those exactly fit behind each DCA1222 and will enable me to discard a few cables.

I received my third amp only last Friday, but as I already mentioned a promise to post a new thread relating to my overall listening impression with the QSC amps driving the three front speakers, this will done after a short period of serious listening, let's say around the beginning of May. Then, I will also post pictures of the equipment. But, so far so good!:)

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's pretty cool. I've never seen that before. I have a laser for the saw, but have yet to install it. Actually IIRC the reason I haven't installed it was because I lost the bracket for it. :eek:

In the meantime I may do what's in the video because that would be super helpful.

Thanks!

That miter saw is looking pretty bare!
One of these will make a big difference in precision and tear-out:

He is fancier than me, I just use 3/4" ply and 1/2" screws from the back rather than countersinking and putting a nut on the backside.
Once it is done, the kerf in the fence lets you know exactly where you cut line will be!
Also note that you will lose some of the utility of the fence once you make bevel and angle cuts. I don't do that often, but I consider the fence a sacrificial item for that reason.

Last, he cut a V-notch in the back of his. It must be for clearance of some sort. Mine is a simple chop saw (not a slider) and I have no need to do that. Also, I consider it a cardinal sin to remove the fence and put it back on because it will take a lot of tedium to get it as perfect as it was before!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Very cool. Can't wait to see the pics.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the Altec 511B Horns in my 3 front cabinets with two Peerless 5¼ inch midbass drivers passively crossing over at 3200Hz to an Airborne Air Motion Ribbon tweeter. Afterwards, I replaced the Altec 416-8A woofers with Dayton RSS390HF-4 subs for the three enclosures. I am obtaining a very smooth response in the mid-high frequencies, but need to eventually work to smooth out the low frequencies. I am seriously thinking of getting a MiniDSP NanoAVR DL 8 channel processor for the job.

Lately, to supplement my Marantz SR5010, I have added three QSC DCA1222, which are 2 channel Digital Cinema Amplifiers, 325w/ch @ 4 ohms, to drive my front speakers with active bi-amplification by filtering action between the subs and the midwoofers. Also, I have just ordered QSC XC-3 Electronic Crossovers which will replace the DBX223XS units. Those exactly fit behind each DCA1222 and will enable me to discard a few cables.

I received my third amp only last Friday, but as I already mentioned a promise to post a new thread relating to my overall listening impression with the QSC amps driving the three front speakers, this will done after a short period of serious listening, let's say around the beginning of May. Then, I will also post pictures of the equipment. But, so far so good!:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That's pretty cool. I've never seen that before. I have a laser for the saw, but have yet to install it. Actually IIRC the reason I haven't installed it was because I lost the bracket for it. :eek:

In the meantime I may do what's in the video because that would be super helpful.

Thanks!
The laser will never be as easy as having the kerf in your fence to work from! And it is too simple to go out of adjustment (unless your screws are loose).

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The laser will never be as easy as having the kerf in your fence to work from! And it is too simple to go out of adjustment (unless your screws are loose).
Or if you cut miters, which makes the gap large again.

Reading about settled dust, I do actually get in my shop and vacuum everywhere and mop the floors with a janitorial grade string mop. As soon as I see buildup, I'll spend half a day crawling over-under everywhere with a vac and even do the walls as well. Also use compressed air to get it all broke loose again and get most of it out the door.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Aside from some truck issues, the other project that has been eating into the center speaker time....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just acquired Bassbox and X-over pro to finish my design. I gotta catch up, it looks beauty!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I've been using Bassbox Pro for almost 7 years now. Highly recommend.
I had paid Madisound to finish the design, but it appears their engineer is quite ill and so after a couple months of delays they've refunded me. Decided to be a big boy and do it myself!

Honestly, I should have gone this route to begin with. I've taught myself enough that I find both programs highly intuitive.

Today I'll double check the numbers to see if I made a mistake that led me to think these programs are highly intuitive :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well things have been a little crazy so I decided to just get things together to see how she runs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis