ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The ones with 15in subs with over 400w, might hit pretty low. I still worry the tower cabinet would cause distortion quicker than a real sub cabinet. You might have to dial them way back.
The cabinets are nowhere near large enough for that kind of LF extension.
A simple perusal of Shady’s subwoofer candy will quickly show that even many things we think are down in the low 20s aren’t. Thus perhaps they are ‘good enough.’
In terms of distortion... if so, that would likely come from the cabinets being stove pipes. And maybe those woofers would be capable in the right size enclosure, properly ported... but I don’t buy it. At least not “as is.”

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I,m mainly using for music, measuring with rew that's the only way I can get flatter response is to use front large.
Really, I got the opposite. How about we both post some REW graphs to compare? To be fair though, I only got the relatively flat response when Audyssey is turned on, otherwise it wasn't that good either way, large without no sub(s), large or small with sub(s). You probably happen to have a good room/placement for your towers, otherwise may not be so lucky.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not a fan of Geddes?
Ya people hear multiple subs of different types and it's like cool. What they dont get is the time it takes for setting up a dcx2496 or any other dsp eq. At one point I was running similar and it about drove me nuts.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya people hear multiple subs of different types and it's like cool. What they dont get is the time it takes for setting up a dcx2496 or any other dsp eq. At one point I was running similar and it about drove me nuts.
I hear that! I used to use a BFD for a long time until I got a minidsp. FWIW, the bfd is very effective but it’s a lot more archaic than the minidsp.
Btw, can’t remember who said not to run 3 subs(which I’ve heard counter to), but it definitely works for me.

I’ll fix that 50hz range soon.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hear that! I used to use a BFD for a long time until I got a minidsp. FWIW, the bfd is very effective but it’s a lot more archaic than the minidsp.
Btw, can’t remember who said not to run 3 subs(which I’ve heard counter to), but it definitely works for me.

Even, Odd... the more the LF sources you have, the better.

...Ya buddy... what's up with that dip... looks deep enough for 7-layers at the superbowl party! :oops::p:cool:
Sexy curve otherwise! :D

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic

That was me, but it was less of it being 3 and more being 2 identical ones and a 3rd odd one and neither of them are tuned correctly or together from what the OP has said.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That was me, but it was less of it being 3 and more being 2 identical ones and a 3rd odd one and neither of them are tuned correctly or together from what the OP has said.
Think 3 or 4 identical subs would work but at some point it’s a lot of real estate for more than 2 subs.

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Think 3 or 4 identical subs would work but at some point it’s a lot of real estate for more than 2 subs.
Legitimate subs maybe. Two powered woofers that have been dubbed subwoofers in towers and a third true subwoofer I would THINK don’t mix. But I don’t own these towers, this guy is enjoying his, so I don’t really see a problem. I do have an 18” sub on the way though. Full Marty turned 5.5 feet tall lol!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Even, Odd... the more the LF sources you have, the better.

...Ya buddy... what's up with that dip... looks deep enough for 7-layers at the superbowl party! :oops::p:cool:
Sexy curve otherwise! :D
Thanks brother. I do luuv me some 7 layer dip too!arriba!!!
It’s deep enough to spend time fixing, but it’s not super horrible with content. I guess...
O. C. D. Is. Killing. ME!
I’ll get it soon.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s all good. I just saw that @PENG wanted graphs, so I couldn’t resist. Lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As I understand the Geddes approach, you want as many LF sources as you can get, including full range towers. (More prefarable would be all of the "bed layer" to be full range with subs added!, probably.)
Qualitative commentary aside, the Def Techs do have a pretty full response profile. Lovin' posted the review for this model that had them rated at 23Hz (-3dB). Better even than the current flagship of the BP lineup, if true, though still not the claimed 15Hz in their specs.
Regardless, I am sold on the idea of non-symmetrical multiple LF source placement. I think everettT likes to match his rolloffs between speaker and sub, but that hasn't come up as much from other people. (Though I'm down for the conversation with some numbers and patience! ;) ) At the end, the biggest part of the equation is room measurements. Geddes Approach is predicated on sweeps with the addition of each source. Repeat until you have achieved flat LF response in room.

No about that umic... :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks brother. I do luuv me some 7 layer dip too!arriba!!!
It’s deep enough to spend time fixing, but it’s not super horrible with content. I guess...
O. C. D. Is. Killing. ME!
I’ll get it soon.
Sorry man... just couldn't pass it up. Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Legitimate subs maybe. Two powered woofers that have been dubbed subwoofers in towers and a third true subwoofer I would THINK don’t mix. But I don’t own these towers, this guy is enjoying his, so I don’t really see a problem. I do have an 18” sub on the way though. Full Marty turned 5.5 feet tall lol!
Well, aside from the towers he indicated the "subs are svspb16 ultra and turbo sound tse118s"

The Turbo Sound TSE118 I wasn't familiar with but appears to be more like concert bass bins http://www.kirsch-akustik.de/downloads/tse118.pdf.

I'm curious how these all go together, too.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Well, aside from the towers he indicated the "subs are svspb16 ultra and turbo sound tse118s"

The Turbo Sound TSE118 I wasn't familiar with but appears to be more like concert bass bins http://www.kirsch-akustik.de/downloads/tse118.pdf.

I'm curious how these all go together, too.
I thought it was the 13 ultras. But yeah... I’m even more confused... so he’s got 4 15” subwoofers, 2 16” subwoofers, and an 18” subwoofer?

You thinking what I’m thinking?

Bass... head...?

Edit: nope it’s the 16 ultras you’re right.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought it was the 13 ultras. But yeah... I’m even more confused... so he’s got 4 15” subwoofers, 2 16” subwoofers, and an 18” subwoofer?

Bass... head...?

Danzilla might have some competition! ;)
I said it before... @viseral audio, if you've got your ears happy and you've taken measurements, sweet. Very happy for it! I would love to see them (the measurements, not your happy ears!)... I'm gonna do the same when my floorstanders come in! Promise. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Bass... head...?

Well two 15" "subs" in the speakers, one 16" sub and two 18" mid bass modules?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis