Last system I will ever need to own

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What is "metal strapping" ?

I think they just use nails for the walls here.

We have tornado shelters. But I think everyone assumes that if a tornado hits the house directly and pulls off all the bricks, rocks, and roofs, "metal straps" probably won't stop the tornado either.
The objective is to hold your roof on (which is the easiest thing for a tornado to lift away - no matter what your walls are made of.

http://newsok.com/article/3597356

Bourdeau, a hazard performance analyst for FEMA, was sent to Oklahoma after tornadoes tore through May 24, destroying some 600 homes and pummeling the Piedmont area especially hard. He'll be here through October, he said, both studying what led to such high levels of destruction as well as what can be done to make homes safer.

Bourdeau, who works out of a regional FEMA office in Texas, is from South Carolina, where building codes along the hurricane-prone coastal areas require structures to withstand 120-mph, three-second gusts.

“Pretty tough design,” he said, “and that, of course, has all been tested.”

McCarty's project is designed to those standards, even though Oklahoma code requirements are lower, mandating structures to stand up to 90-mph winds.

Bourdeau said he'd prefer using the more rigorous standards in all parts of the country.

“It just makes for a stronger structure,” he said.

But the goal is to educate, not mandate.
Talk to your insurance agent. They should know a bit about it.

Coastal SC has started putting threaded rods all of the way from slab to roof. I don't think it is required, but all of the homes I saw being built 3 years ago had them. Not sure if hurricane vs tornado would change the best (economically effective) option.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Um, OK has tornadoes and earthquakes... I hope they use metal strapping on your walls!
The objective is to hold your roof on (which is the easiest thing for a tornado to lift away - no matter what your walls are made of.
Well, I'm glad I posted pictures and you guys brought up a great point.

I remember when I spoke to the architect Brent Gibson last year, he recommended using the "hurricane clips", which are the steel hurricane ties or straps.

I asked my builder today and he is going to install those steel straps for the roof.

So thanks for reminding me. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HT Rear Wall/ Entrance:

HT Front Wall where the 150" screen will be:

HT Right Wall & Closet:

HT Left Wall:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That place is huge.

A nice intercom would save you guys a lot of walking and screaming trying to find each other in there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Left Elevation:

Left / Front Elevation:

Left Elevation:

Rear Elevation

Rear Elevation

Right Elevation

Left / Front Elevation:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That place is huge.

A nice intercom would save you guys a lot of walking and screaming trying to find each other in there.
Well, I think the Brent Gibson design makes it look bigger than it is. :D

It's 5,400 FT, Single-Story, 4 Beds, 1 Living, 1 Study, 1 Theater, 5 Baths.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That place is huge.

The best part is that in OKC it's probably costing in the range of $110/sqft. That's a price us left-coast or southwest people can only dream about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The best part is that in OKC it's probably costing in the range of $110/sqft.
I wish that were true. :)

Then my house would be 7,400 SF. :)

All the builders I talked to were quoting $175-$200/SF + cost of land.

My builder had the best price of $150/SF + cost of land.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I remember when I spoke to the architect Brent Gibson last year, he recommended using the "hurricane clips", which are the steel hurricane ties or straps.

I asked my builder today and he is going to install those steel straps for the roof.
Post pictures of this, if you get the chance!!!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Post pictures of this, if you get the chance!!!
They are just like metal straps that have nail holes to strap the trusses to the to the perimeter wall. It's called for in the South Florida Building Code. There are a lot of extra things called for in that building code but I'm not a wood pecker or a residential carpenter. It's obviously meant to keep your roof on in about 150 mph winds. For a tornado's 300 mph wind you need that Saddam Hole he's got dug there.

BTW, the room the hatch is in could do with 3/4" plywood on the walls and ceiling and 5/8" sleeve anchors to attach the wall's bottom plate to the concrete floor. I didn't realize being a moderator paid so well. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are just like metal straps that have nail holes to strap the trusses to the to the perimeter wall. It's called for in the South Florida Building Code. There are a lot of extra things called for in that building code but I'm not a wood pecker or a residential carpenter. It's obviously meant to keep your roof on in about 150 mph winds. For a tornado's 300 mph wind you need that Saddam Hole he's got dug there.

BTW, the room the hatch is in could do with 3/4" plywood on the walls and ceiling and 5/8" sleeve anchors to attach the wall's bottom plate to the concrete floor. I didn't realize being a moderator paid so well. :)
I was moderator for like 3 months. :D

Because I became an official audio dealer (which makes me about $300.00 per year :D) after becoming moderator, there was a conflict of interest, and I had to step down from moderator. So now I'm just a fellow AH member, not moderator.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

The houses I looked at were multi-story and used the "continuous hold down system" of all-thread running from the slab to the roof structure. I think that is mainly used where the home being blown over is a concern (not so much for flatter ranch style homes)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
True. In southern California, I know it's more like $330/SF. :)
Not for the quality of construction you're getting. Look at the labor in that turret, for example. In Orange County, I'm thinking $400-$500/SF. In Portland, OR, probably $300/SF, maybe a little more for full custom work on that scale. OKC is a good place to have a well-paying job. IMO, the Bay Area is only for people who can't find jobs elsewhere (like me).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$500/SF is exorbitant cost of living for sure. :eek:

Some people (like my wife) seems to have the silly notion that when you go to places that cost 3 times as much, you also get paid 3 times as much. :eek: :D

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I'm glad I posted pictures and you guys brought up a great point.

So thanks for reminding me. :)
Yes the roof clips come in a couple different flavors, but the strapping is just that, about the thickness of a good metal ruler with a predrilled hole every inch. Over the OSB sheathing, you use these in spans nailing every 6 inches at an angle so that the strap is kept taut. It provides additional rigidity to stud walls, especially when wrapping around corners!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like it'll be a super nice place. I took a look at the builder's website. Very nice :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis