annunaki

annunaki

I watched Transformers at my parents house with their Dayton Titanic MKIII in a 3.0ft. sealed enclosure with the 500 HPS Dayton amplifier. There was a fair amount of bass in the movie but there was not a lot of real deep, shake the house bass. The Ironhide flip scene did shake everything in the room though. That was impressive. I will have to check out that scene on my SVS PB-12 Ultra since I got the movie for my birtday last Saturday. I hope the neighbors don't mind. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What do you get in the early part about 6/8 min in when the two tanks are thrown and dropped? I get a pop, maybe. How about the shock waves that blows out the glass etc?
There is already a lot of bass in that scene. It would sound so stupid if it was just gobs of bass. So many things are blowing up. Yeah, it wasn't realistic, but it would sound ridiculous like WOTWs.

You're all just sore because you actually like this movie, but it doesn't have as much bass as the crappy movies with bass. Sorry, but we all still need to sit through WOTW if we want super low bass.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
There is already a lot of bass in that scene. It would sound so stupid if it was just gobs of bass.
SheepStar
Well, each even should have an equivalent sound to go with it, no? Two 60ton tanks dropping nearby should have some decent bass to go with it, regardless what else happened a few seconds before it or afterwards, no? It just looks like the soundman forgot to mix or fell asleep at that instant:D Or, someones system has an issue?
I just cannot remember what it sounded like in the theater at that instant:eek:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You're all just sore because you actually like this movie, but it doesn't have as much bass as the crappy movies with bass.
No, while I was disappointed with the lack of bass I remain fairly certain that I shall never have to urge to watch Transformers again as long as I live.

And I stopped renting movies because of their supposed LFE content. I just bought a BassMechanix CD and it allows me to junk subwoofers without all that mindless 'story' crap or having to wait for the FBI warning to fade away.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
No, while I was disappointed with the lack of bass I remain fairly certain that I shall never have to urge to watch Transformers again as long as I live.

And I stopped renting movies because of their supposed LFE content. I just bought a BassMechanix CD and it allows me to junk subwoofers without all that mindless 'story' crap or having to wait for the FBI warning to fade away.
Nice. DJ Magic Mike anyone???

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Oh yes... I used to love the Kings Of Bass, Bass Patrol was my favorite bass album.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
glad I'm not alone feeling weirded out!

I watch Transformers last night and I't did feel odd. The sound levels were all over the place. Music was loud, the surrounds were heavily used also. The dialogues were hard to make out and the bass was totaly random.

I wonder if the hidef version has a better sound setup?

In theater, it was spot on.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I watch Transformers last night and I't did feel odd. The sound levels were all over the place. Music was loud, the surrounds were heavily used also. The dialogues were hard to make out and the bass was totaly random.

I wonder if the hidef version has a better sound setup?

In theater, it was spot on.
Not sure as I only have the HD version. But the dynamic range does seem to be pretty broad. Some scenes are quieter than you'd expect, and some are hella loud. But I just got it cuz it was free and I wanted to hear the Ironhide flip on my system. I wasn't disappointed.

Plus, how can you go wrong with Megan Fox in HD? ;)

T

Tod

Audioholic
One movie I'm surprised hasn't made the list so far is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. The first attack on New York with the giant robots is excellent. Each footstep, and there are many of them, is mostly infrasonic. You'll hear each one regardless, but with a strong sub there is much more to be felt than heard.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Just watched Transformers tonight (only my second time, friend had it on DVD, first time was in a theater). Overall the audio still seemed pretty good, for the most part bass was there when it needed to be and voices were clear. I do have my center channel bumped up a bit I think still, something I had been watching previously was too quiet, but even if I turned it down some I think the dialog would have remained clear enough.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
When I saw Transformers at the Drive-In this summer I was blown away at the bass. I have a truck with a MTX Thunderform with 2 10" subs and MTX 331 amp. The bass was pounding enough that we almost had to put our seat belts on and I think I leaked a little pee. Once it came out I couldn't wait to see how it would be at home, forget what my home sub is (2 or 300 watt 12" something or other), not high end for sure but I have been very pleased with it, but it was nothing compared to the truck bass. Think this maybe my next upgrade.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
You can use your truck stereo to listen to the soundtrack at the drive-in?:confused: This shows me how long it has been since I last went to one (and how old I am getting.:() The last time I was at a drive-in, the sound came from those awful little squawk-boxes outside the car windows.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You can use your truck stereo to listen to the soundtrack at the drive-in?:confused: This shows me how long it has been since I last went to one (and how old I am getting.:() The last time I was at a drive-in, the sound came from those awful little squawk-boxes outside the car windows.
Don't feel too bad Joe, I just found out the same thing the other day. Though most drive-in's have gone the way of the Do-do, (at least here in California), I guess now they broadcast the soundtrack over the radio, and you just tune your car stereo to the correct station. The only problem I see with that is if you've got a stereo that draws a lot of power, you'd have to run your car for a bit every once in a while so you don't wear down your battery.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
Don't feel too bad Joe, I just found out the same thing the other day. Though most drive-in's have gone the way of the Do-do, (at least here in California), I guess now they broadcast the soundtrack over the radio, and you just tune your car stereo to the correct station. The only problem I see with that is if you've got a stereo that draws a lot of power, you'd have to run your car for a bit every once in a while so you don't wear down your battery.

Yep it's broadcast over the radio, I'm also old enough that I was going to the Drive-in when they had the squawk boxes! My GF and I go about every other weekend (till the snow flies!). With my back I generally can't sit through a full movie at the theater. But have no problem sitting through two or three at the Drive-in.
I haven't had any low battery problems so far, but then again my truck audio isn't massive, just big enough to get the job done.

T

Tod

Audioholic
Hm. Just watched 300 again last night with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. First full movie with the ML Descent, and it revealed some good stuff. The two scenes that most stood out for bass from what I was hearing before were where the ugly giant a-hole is beating on Leonidas' shield with his sword. Right to the chest!

The other was background bass during the scene with the crab-handed executioner. I'd never have thought it from before, but my house was shaking in all new ways right then. This place seriously needs some new windows, or I should just move. Next upgrade, I guess...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I saw Transformers at the Drive-In this summer I was blown away at the bass. I have a truck with a MTX Thunderform with 2 10" subs and MTX 331 amp. The bass was pounding enough that we almost had to put our seat belts on and I think I leaked a little pee. Once it came out I couldn't wait to see how it would be at home, forget what my home sub is (2 or 300 watt 12" something or other), not high end for sure but I have been very pleased with it, but it was nothing compared to the truck bass. Think this maybe my next upgrade.
I don't think your home subwoofer is the problem. The problem is the darn Transformers movie on disc.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Hm. Just watched 300 again last night with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. First full movie with the ML Descent, and it revealed some good stuff. The two scenes that most stood out for bass from what I was hearing before were where the ugly giant a-hole is beating on Leonidas' shield with his sword. Right to the chest!

The other was background bass during the scene with the crab-handed executioner. I'd never have thought it from before, but my house was shaking in all new ways right then. This place seriously needs some new windows, or I should just move. Next upgrade, I guess...
I really like those ML subs. My father has the Depth and it's a nice sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis