R

renegade87

Junior Audioholic
How about the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan? And the end battle with all the Tiger Tanks approaching the town.

I have to second the nomination of the TRex scene from the 1st JP.

Matrix Lobby scene anyone?

LOTR Return of the King... the final battle scene...

hardnrg

hardnrg

Audiophyte
how about Close Encounters of the Third Kind... it's not explosions, but it's pretty cool bass :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
how about Close Encounters of the Third Kind... it's not explosions, but it's pretty cool bass :D
Absolutely, it has some good stuff. I'm very curious how it will sound on the new Blu-ray too.

Neither scene in Saving Private Ryan has a ton of bass, but both are good demo material for sound.

I

irvin

Junior Audioholic
Underworld has some killer bass through out the whole movie.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
the Chronicles of Riddick is a good stress-test. cheesy story, but entertaining.:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I watch a movie because of the movie. If it also happens to have great bass, that is a bonus rather than a reason for choosing it.

K

Kyliefan001

Enthusiast
The crash scene in Cast Away.
The house exploding in Mr & Mrs Smith.
The landing scene on Saving Private Ryan.
Great sub response in Almost Famous.

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
I live in the upstairs of a rental house. Watching Transformers, had me worried about the cops showing up the entire time. And my subwoofer is a far cry from being impressive.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The title of the thread indicates the bass in movies, not necessarily on DVD. So . . . I'll nominate Hot Fuzz, which I recently watched on Rogers On Demand High Definition. The picture is, of course, HD, but the sound is plain ol' Dolby Digital 5.1. So I'm sure it's very similar to what's on the DVD.

The use of surrounds is phenomenal. But even more impressive is the bass. The most mundane moments will have deep bass effects, to lend a sense of gravity to them (sort of the point of the flick, really), and they're deep. So deep and so loud that the voice coil on my (level matched) subwoofer was, as Athena told me, "slowly being destroyed".

Hot Fuzz. Serious, serious bass.

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: I just realized that I paraphrased the review of the HD DVD of this movie from DVDFile.com! I guess the review was still in my head -- I had read it again just a couple days ago after I'd been thinking about the movie. Sorry for the incredibly-close-to-plagairism bits in there; still quite accurate, though.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
hairth,
Do you have anythig of value to add to any thread? All you seem to do is type gibberish to every thread.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
he was just upping his post count so he can post a link.

i've reported him already.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the bass in Hot Fuzz was really awesome... the movie was ok, but the use of surrounds was very good too.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
The scene in Men in Black when Will Smith first walks into the MiB building and that massive fan is going - very low underrunning bass.

Also when the bug first gets into the World Fair spaceship and takes off - low, low frequencies going on there.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Crank with Jason Statham. Fun movie impressive sound.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
One scene that gets overlooked is in LOTR the first one..

When the hobbit drops the body down the well, and the drums start beating... the drum beat when the camera enters the whole will max out most any subwoofer. It's intense how loud that scene is.

SheepStar

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
No one ever mentions this, but if you've even seen HBO's "Band of Brothers", particularly the episode "Bastogne", where they are getting shelled by 88's in the woods. Holy bass!

I suppose it's not technically a movie, but awesome bass nonetheless.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I watched Children of Men on Cinimax HD the other night and I was liking the tank explosions and stuff. I know I heard something clattering by my right ear so the surround was working too.

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
the bass scene i like

the one scene i found to really test the subs..has been mentioned alot..
is chapter 4..in Master and Commander.....its a fight between two ships,
one ship shoots a cannon....then there is a delay until it hits the other ship
first a low low explosion from ship 1....then super loud explosion at ship2... and there are alot of explosions once the fight starts..
it really tests everything...subs, surrounds...and high end as each explosion has lots of wood being broken and metal flying around ....i play this scene when ever some one comes over and has never experienced a really good HT:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone mentioned Pan's Labyrinth in DTS-EX?
KILLER BASS!
My wife made me turn down the subwoofer volume for this movie!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis