AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Yes sir I'm working on uploading pictures now. Also For front stage I have the Legacy Audio Focus XD 750 watts each, dual 12s each with a 4 way design. For surrounds I'm running the Klipsh RP 8060FA until this shortage is over and I can purchase the Legacy Audio Silhouette. I noticed that the picture is extremely blurry after the resize sorry. I cant get rear pictures as i would need help moving it since it tips the scales at almost 400 lbs. The 4k UHD player is cheap LG, the tv is the Samsung QN900 75 inch, amp Emotiva XPA 7. Also the bookshelf speakers are not in use and i have AC Infinity cooling units on the top of the amp and receiver. Thank you everyone who replied. I love home theater so feel free to share your setup with me.

Attachments

Last edited:
AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
nice to see a response from an actual owner.. if I had the money ,with what I learned so far, I would get 2 high performing subs.. I currently “only” have 2 12” ~400 watt subs powering my system.

with regards to pics , when your uploading , you have to change size of pic.. it’s defaulted at actual size but you have to resize it to medium or large.. whatever works.. I usually pick large..

also if you can, get a high quality video in..
Only 2 12's? that's far more than what I had when I first started. My first home theater setup came out of a box bought from Walmart made by Samsung and the tower speakers weren't even wider than my leg..... the bottom of my leg not the thick part lmao. Sorry I don't have pictures because it was so long ago. Also I replied to your post for pictures.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Only 2 12's? that's far more than what I had when I first started. My first home theater setup came out of a box bought from Walmart made by Samsung and the tower speakers weren't even wider than my leg..... the bottom of my leg not the thick part lmao. Sorry I don't have pictures because it was so long ago. Also I replied to your post for pictures.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I get both sides of it, the JL Audio has a rock solid build quality, performance. That being said I am now considering Shaddy J's feedback, and going dual with HSU or Rythmik. If HSU would only do piano black to match my Digms please :)

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
technically this is not my first home theater setup.. my first was a KENWOOD home theater in a box I bought from Circuit City ( remember that place?) back in the late 90s..been kinda following home audio gear lightly for a while.. the current system I have is my first real setup though that I put together during this pandemic.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
technically this is not my first home theater setup.. my first was a KENWOOD home theater in a box I bought from Circuit City ( remember that place?) back in the late 90s..been kinda following home audio gear lightly for a while.. the current system I have is my first real setup though that I put together during this pandemic.
Hahaha yes I remember Circuit City. Kenwood? Oh wow I had no idea they dabbled in home theater back in the day. I've only ever been familiar with Keenwoods car audio.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
A well set-up dual Hsu VTF-15h mk2 system could have potentially better sound quality than a single Gotham V2 system, even if you are talking about the G213. Dual subs can yield a much flatter room response than a single sub, and the room response is going to be the single biggest determinant of sound quality. I would go for a multi-sub system with a good way to equalize it, like say Dirac's Bass Control system.
I’m tempted to buy the 2 but with everything going on with US economy, I’m going to have to save. But it would be so awesome and I would save around $450 just picking them up.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I might get the dual Hsu sub package and purchase a Pioneer elite 9.2 channel receiver with Dirac but not sure if it will have bass control. Luckily, I got a lot more money during this season so I can upgrade my system. My garage is going to be rocking!!!

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
I’m tempted to buy the 2 but with everything going on with US economy, I’m going to have to save. But it would be so awesome and I would save around $450 just picking them up.
The Gotham V2 still has 500 watts of headroom over 2 Mk2s at full tilt.
A well set-up dual Hsu VTF-15h mk2 system could have potentially better sound quality than a single Gotham V2 system, even if you are talking about the G213. Dual subs can yield a much flatter room response than a single sub, and the room response is going to be the single biggest determinant of sound quality. I would go for a multi-sub system with a good way to equalize it, like say Dirac's Bass Control system.
The Gotham V2 still has 500 watts of headroom over 2 Mk2s at full tilt.... Dirac? The built in D.A.R.O is specifically made for JLs subs and subs only not subs, center and surrounds like Dirac. Your better off comparing those two little 600 watt rms subs to one Fathom 212 V2.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

The Gotham V2 still has 500 watts of headroom over 2 Mk2s at full tilt.... Dirac? The built in D.A.R.O is specifically made for JLs subs and subs only not subs, center and surrounds like Dirac. Your better off comparing those two little 600 watt rms subs to one Fathom 212 V2.
Lmao. Wattage means NOTHING without sensitivity spec.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The Gotham is going to be a less sensitive system overall. It could have double the power and wouldn't make up for that. That also doesn't address the acoustic problems of a single subwoofer system. Also, DARO is very primitive compared to Dirac.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Lmao. Wattage means NOTHING without sensitivity spec.
@shadyJ A 18 band subwoofer EQ is basic? Hmmmm yeah your living in 2042 for sure my boy lol. SVS EQ is only 3 band if im not mistaken so am i missing something here? Im just trying to figure out how you can make that statement on record without facts. I'm puzzled. What's the sensitivity on a Gotham after the upgrade hence V2?
@William Lemmerhirt at the end of the day your here because HSU like 90% of home subs shall be put up against, judged by the standards of and compared to THE GOTHAM V2 AKA THE KING OF BASS not the other way around.

Attachments

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
The Gotham is going to be a less sensitive system overall. It could have double the power and wouldn't make up for that. That also doesn't address the acoustic problems of a single subwoofer system. Also, DARO is very primitive compared to Dirac.
Because you would be willing to bet your hard earned money that a Gotham V2 is so inefficient that it wouldn't even keep up with HSUs sub even with double the power. The stuff you read on forums from people who have no idea is mind blowing. I've owned SVS subs before and for this example ill go with the pb 3000 that i owned. That sub will put the sub mentioned above in its place and the pb 3000 is not even in the same league as a Gotham V2 at all. its not even close so your gonna have to sale that dream to somebody else sir. The Gotham V2 feels like a fucking earthquake during music and like a bomb is going off during movies. That pb 3000 felt and sounded like nothing of the sort.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Because you would be willing to bet your hard earned money that a Gotham V2 is so inefficient that it wouldn't even keep up with HSUs sub even with double the power. The stuff you read on forums from people who have no idea is mind blowing. I've owned SVS subs before and for this example ill go with the pb 3000 that i owned. That sub will put the sub mentioned above in its place and the pb 3000 is not even in the same league as a Gotham V2 at all. its not even close so your gonna have to sale that dream to somebody else sir. The Gotham V2 feels like a fucking earthquake during music and like a bomb is going off during movies. That pb 3000 felt and sounded like nothing of the sort.
You do realize that @shadyJ does a lot of the reviews here at Audioholics, do you not? He's listened to AND measured more subs and speakers than almost anyone else on here. He's the antithesis of a person who has no idea what he's talking about.

We get it, you're very happy with your Gotham and you want to believe it's the be all, end all, of subwoofers.

JL rates the amplification as "4500 w RMS short term". That's literally meaningless. RMS is a sustained measurement, but short term is just the opposite. The two terms don't go together.

Sealed sub systems are inherently less efficient than ported systems, you can look this one up yourself on data bass. They've tested the JL audio E112 which claims "1500 w RMS short term" and an older Hsu, the VTF-15H which was listed as 1400 w short term, 350 w RMS (actual meaningful information).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well don't stop now. Please continue to educate us. I'm having a lot of fun reading your replies, lol.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
You do realize that @shadyJ does a lot of the reviews here at Audioholics, do you not? He's listened to AND measured more subs and speakers than almost anyone else on here. He's the antithesis of a person who has no idea what he's talking about.

We get it, you're very happy with your Gotham and you want to believe it's the be all, end all, of subwoofers.

JL rates the amplification as "4500 w RMS short term". That's literally meaningless. RMS is a sustained measurement, but short term is just the opposite. The two terms don't go together.

Sealed sub systems are inherently less efficient than ported systems, you can look this one up yourself on data bass. They've tested the JL audio E112 which claims "1500 w RMS short term" and an older Hsu, the VTF-15H which was listed as 1400 w short term, 350 w RMS (actual meaningful information).
My opinion is my opinion and won't change because somebody reviewed something I own. You do realize I've owned many subs not just reviewed them right? There's nothing you can say to make me believe that a 600w rms 2000w peak sub will beat a Gotham V2 when a 800w rms 2500w peak PB 3000 can't. You think your the first to notice the 4500w rms short term statement? No you don't get it your just assuming. If I wanted end all be all I'd buy 3 JTR Captivator RS2s for less but I don't want big oversized industrial looking subs.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Well don't stop now. Please continue to educate us. I'm having a lot of fun reading your replies, lol.
That was your education for the day so be grateful. Better yet prove me wrong.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My opinion is my opinion and won't change because somebody reviewed something I own. You do realize I've owned many subs not just reviewed them right? There's nothing you can say to make me believe that a 600w rms 2000w peak sub will beat a Gotham V2 when a 800w rms 2500w peak PB 3000 can't. You think your the first to notice the 4500w rms short term statement? No you don't get it your just assuming. If I wanted end all be all I'd buy 3 JTR Captivator RS2s for less but I don't want big oversized industrial looking subs.
I don't think anyone is bashing JL subs. They're awesome subs with excellent build quality and performance, but are very expensive when talking bang for buck. You can get A LOT more performance for the same money buying in multiples from other brands.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis