AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Top those off with two HO Devastators running Eminence NSW6021s...
Not only with that Gotham go running home to mommy, you may well come out a few grand ahead.
And have way more bass than you know what to do with.
#Headroom for days!
:p
I like the Gotham and it's got a good eq but like @shady J nothing will do better then a Dirac eq combined with REW unless you have a truly high end prepro like a Trinnov or the one Gene just reviewed here in his system dang I can't remember the name! What processor do you you use for your setup if I may ask?

By the way I LOOOOVE your legacy speakers truly awesome speakers
For right now I'm using the Marantz SR8012.
I'm still upgrading and deciding what I want. Per earlier conversations I'm looking to buy a Altitude 16 this summer but idk if it's worth it just from the little knowledge I have so I'll stick around the fourm and read up plus ask questions first before I make the purchase. Especially since just like the Gotham the the price went up amid this stupid hyperinflation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll start with 2 of these:

Please and thanks!
Pair o' these would do quite nicely too.

Mariana24S_14Hz_17Hz_1_12-Smoothing.jpg

Tho unlike Harbottle they're unavailable right now.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Not only with that Gotham go running home to mommy, you may well come out a few grand ahead.
#Headroom for days!
People who can afford Gothams would just go buy more Gothams. No different than McIntosh amplifiers that are the price of cars. OF COURSE THERE'S BETTER! but McIntosh owners don't care. They just want to see the blue iconic needles move when they sit down and enjoy the system they built lol. Choices choices choices. That's why I like the a/v world because there's literally Infinite combinations that allow us to not only accomplish great sounding systems but have our systems look great at the same time. I cant speak for everybody else but I want my system to look like it's not to be f*cked with even if that's not the case because at the end of the day I need products that blend well with my other furniture and honestly a lot of these speakers look like they belong in the back of a commercial cinema movie screen and should never be seen by the public. I don't want that in my house because it throws off the whole vibe.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Absolute best system would involve DIY cabinets tuned for your goals... I've seen models of the 24" SI drivers up around 30cu.ft with a 10" port... Just stunning...
But you need a big room for those cabinets! It's not as practical as one would want.
Same for those Devs. Even if you aren't chasing the lowest frequencies with them, they still require some good-sized cabinets.

The Marianas, without knowing how much juice they are getting, are only showing on tat graph at 100dB. For most house curves and Bass-Head tastes... you want your output at a minimum of 115dB. ;)

Here is what Red Five was able to do in a ~20cu.ft cabinet with the SI HS-24 in his "companion" build
And here is a comparison against an 11cu.ft sealed:

:)

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Pair o' these would do quite nicely too.

View attachment 54003

Tho unlike Harbottle they're unavailable right now.
That Harbottle sub is a beast of a subwoofer. I seen the review that Barrett from Spec of tech did. Now the Mariana is a new one for me. I'm gonna go look it up when I get some free time.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Choices choices choices
Whomever has Gotham money, more power to them! and if they've got 10x gotham money... I'm happy for them, too. ;)

There are always ways to achieve the goal, whether its flash or something else. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My opinion is my opinion and won't change because somebody reviewed something I own. You do realize I've owned many subs not just reviewed them right? There's nothing you can say to make me believe that a 600w rms 2000w peak sub will beat a Gotham V2 when a 800w rms 2500w peak PB 3000 can't. You think your the first to notice the 4500w rms short term statement? No you don't get it your just assuming. If I wanted end all be all I'd buy 3 JTR Captivator RS2s for less but I don't want big oversized industrial looking subs.
Power input means nothing without sensitivity. JL Audio drivers are not normally very sensitive. The drivers used in the Gotham 213 are the 13W7Ae drivers. 86dB for 1w/1m is OK but it isn't above average. It uses a heavy moving assembly, so it takes a lot of power to get the cone to move. The upside is that it can handle a lot of power. The downside is that it needs double the power to equal the same output of anything that has an 89dB sensitivity. What is more is that in a G213 the drivers are placed in a tight container which reduces the sensitivity of the system as a whole. In comparison to the Hsu VTF15h sub, that is a more sensitive driver that is given a whole lot of breathing room in a large ported enclosure. It doesn't need a whole lot of power to reach big SPLs.

The G213 is a very nice sub, but it necessarily constricts itself to pack a lot of power in a small footprint. The reason why the moving assembly of the driver is heavy is for a lower resonant frequency so it can play the lowest octave more easily. It is marketed to people who have a lot more money than floorspace, so they need to squeeze the maximum performance out of a small footprint and also look really nice while doing it. That is an expensive endeavor, but the G213 does it pretty well. However, if you relaxed the size constraints as well as aesthetic constraints and luxury build quality, you can get similar performance for a whole lot less money. Consider the Hsu to be a tuned Supra and the G213 to be a Ferrari. Even though the Ferrari is much more expensive, it isn't going to be pulling much higher track times, but it is undeniably a much nicer car regardless.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
Power input means nothing without sensitivity. JL Audio drivers are not normally very sensitive. The drivers used in the Gotham 213 are the 13W7Ae drivers. 86dB for 1w/1m is OK but it isn't above average. It uses a heavy moving assembly, so it takes a lot of power to get the cone to move. The upside is that it can handle a lot of power. The downside is that it needs double the power to equal the same output of anything that has an 89dB sensitivity. What is more is that in a G213 the drivers are placed in a tight container which reduces the sensitivity of the system as a whole. In comparison to the Hsu VTF15h sub, that is a more sensitive driver that is given a whole lot of breathing room in a large ported enclosure. It doesn't need a whole lot of power to reach big SPLs.

The G213 is a very nice sub, but it necessarily constricts itself to pack a lot of power in a small footprint. The reason why the moving assembly of the driver is heavy is for a lower resonant frequency so it can play the lowest octave more easily. It is marketed to people who have a lot more money than floorspace, so they need to squeeze the maximum performance out of a small footprint and also look really nice while doing it. That is an expensive endeavor, but the G213 does it pretty well. However, if you relaxed the size constraints as well as aesthetic constraints and luxury build quality, you can get similar performance for a whole lot less money. Consider the Hsu to be a tuned Supra and the G213 to be a Ferrari. Even though the Ferrari is much more expensive, it isn't going to be pulling much higher track times, but it is undeniably a much nicer car regardless.
@shadyJ Very well put and great example.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For right now I'm using the Marantz SR8012.
I'm still upgrading and deciding what I want. Per earlier conversations I'm looking to buy a Altitude 16 this summer but idk if it's worth it just from the little knowledge I have so I'll stick around the fourm and read up plus ask questions first before I make the purchase. Especially since just like the Gotham the the price went up amid this stupid hyperinflation.
Yeah this inflation sucks definetly post a thread when you go with a new pre pro Id definetly enjoy hearing your observations and user experience

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
What hyperinflation?
What hyperinflation?
#Headroom for days!
Here's Audioholics' review with measurements of the previous (but basically the same) powered model with a 2400 watt amp.

It was the most powerful sub they'd measured up to that point.

Mine is the passive model, but I do have a separate 1800 watt amp powering it.

That's both models, and if you talk to a dealer you can wheel n deal for a lot less than those list for.

RBH make a set of speakers that go with those subs. They stack right on top and I want a pair!

View attachment 53988

The full setup is called SVTR tower system. Dream speakers for me man. Gene, the site owner has a pair of these in gloss black and they're just gorgeous speakers.

Sorry not sure how I missed replying to this post but yes those look to be the exact speakers I seen on YouTube. Gene Dellasala was standing in front of a pair. Slight chance i could be wrong but if so those speakers look a heck of a lot like the ones in Gene's video.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
I like the Gotham and it's got a good eq but like @shady J nothing will do better then a Dirac eq combined with REW unless you have a truly high end prepro like a Trinnov or the one Gene just reviewed here in his system dang I can't remember the name! What processor do you you use for your setup if I may ask?

Thank you Danzilla and I will. I actually had a Trinnov unit I was demoing before I was supposed to buy it but my friend is a Indi** giver and didn't want to sale at the last minute haha.

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern

Just arrived ✔

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis