G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I just got an email response and they are closed until at least summer.. I don’t know why as all these niche businesses around there are open.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have Gotham's much smaller and poorer younger brother Fathom f112v2-GLOSS. Is it worth 4k? No, Is it worth 2k open box demo, YEP. I only run one in a 19x24 room. Theplan is to get a second, if I can get another good deal on one. As a single sub, it is very competent. I agree with the comments that the build quality is impeccable and performance for it's size is at the higher end of the spectrum, but there are definitely alternatives that perform as well for less.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I’m really interested in the Hsu subs now as I was relooking at their website and I’m liking the prices. If I get one, I can move my 12” BIC America to rear and put the Hsu upfront.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Jealous. I wish I lived in Cali. I coulda saved shipping for my speakers and subs. I think I read in another post recently that Dr Hsu is taking appointments, with all the distancing and mask wearing I'm sure. I'll bet you could set something up if you give him a call.
Wished I lived in Cali too...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m really interested in the Hsu subs now as I was relooking at their website and I’m liking the prices. If I get one, I can move my 12” BIC America to rear and put the Hsu upfront.
I would not mix them personally.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I would not mix them personally.
good suggestion.. if anyone is interested in a b-stock Hsu sub, they got a ULS-15 Mk2 rosenut one.. still too pricey for me and not enough of a discount (won’t list exact price but you can contact them).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just got an email response and they are closed until at least summer.. I don’t know why as all these niche businesses around there are open.
Well that they're just not open to the public isn't quite the same thing as not being open. Not a big part of their business I'd think.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well that they're just not open to the public isn't quite the same thing as not being open. Not a big part of their business I'd think.
They did do demos for those who scheduled an appointment, however, COVID-19 is a serious problem with some existing health issues, so they aren't chancing anything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They did do demos for those who scheduled an appointment, however, COVID-19 is a serious problem with some existing health issues, so they aren't chancing anything.
I don't blame 'em. I'm taking no more chances than necessary myself....

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I was wondering, has anyone here ever auditioned a Gotham V2 or actually own one? What are your thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But if you want to spend that kind of money on subs I'd look at Deep Sea Sound and Funk Audio, maybe Seaton.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can do so much more with $12k than a JL Gotham....
I'm seeing the Gotham v2 for $16,500... it's a beast, no doubt but you can get that kind of performance for 1/4 of the cost. That's just nuts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm seeing the Gotham v2 for $16,500... it's a beast, no doubt but you can get that kind of performance for 1/4 of the cost. That's just nuts.
I guess I was looking at an old review. Of course you're expected to do some wheelin' and dealin' since they're B&M based. Maybe $12k is more like it?

AvBoy892000

AvBoy892000

Audioholic Intern
I use to own a SVS PB 3000 a SVS PB16 Ultra (recently) and now i currently own a JL Audio Gotham v2. The PB 3000 was one hell of a sub but the PB16 Ultra took things up to a whole other level. I just couldn't get with that annoying port noise it would make when watching movies like Dunkirk, Midway and other films that had really low hitting bass notes. Even though I miss the easy to use app functions and remote the PB16 Ultra had, I still have to go with the JL Audio Gotham V2. The JL Audio Gotham v2 build quality is impeccable and second to none of the subs I've ever owned including other subs besides the ones mentioned above. When it comes to music reproduction. A tad bit sluggish with a hint of bloat is how I would describe listening to the PB 16 Ultra compared to the JL Audio Gotham V2 (Not opinion but facts) and Yes I have room treatment now from GIK Acoustics so SVS fan boys and Google fact check God's don't even try it. No it's not my source because everything's connected via Trinnov Audio Altitude 16. The best way to describe what it's like watching movies with the Gotham is Violent, barbaric and brutal. Your floors and walls will flex for sure.It doesn't hit below 18 hz so I was using the PB16 Ultra for the lower frequencies. I will be adding a REL #25 for the lower hz and testing soon. Spare me the what you would do with the $17,200 after taxes that the JL Audio Gotham V2 costs story until you've actually own a Gotham or the 10 subs you claim that you would buy for the price of 1 Gotham V2. For pictures just hmu because this website is giving me a upload file is to large error.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I use to own a SVS PB 3000 a SVS PB16 Ultra (recently) and now i currently own a JL Audio Gotham v2. The PB 3000 was one hell of a sub but the PB16 Ultra took things up to a whole other level. I just couldn't get with that annoying port noise it would make when watching movies like Dunkirk, Midway and other films that had really low hitting bass notes. Even though I miss the easy to use app functions and remote the PB16 Ultra had, I still have to go with the JL Audio Gotham V2. The JL Audio Gotham v2 build quality is impeccable and second to none of the subs I've ever owned including other subs besides the ones mentioned above. When it comes to music reproduction. A tad bit sluggish with a hint of bloat is how I would describe listening to the PB 16 Ultra compared to the JL Audio Gotham V2 (Not opinion but facts) and Yes I have room treatment now from GIK Acoustics so SVS fan boys and Google fact check God's don't even try it. No it's not my source because everything's connected via Trinnov Audio Altitude 16. The best way to describe what it's like watching movies with the Gotham is Violent, barbaric and brutal. Your floors and walls will flex for sure.It doesn't hit below 18 hz so I was using the PB16 Ultra for the lower frequencies. I will be adding a REL #25 for the lower hz and testing soon. Spare me the what you would do with the $17,200 after taxes that the JL Audio Gotham V2 costs story until you've actually own a Gotham or the 10 subs you claim that you would buy for the price of 1 Gotham V2. For pictures just hmu because this website is giving me a upload file is to large error.
nice to see a response from an actual owner.. if I had the money ,with what I learned so far, I would get 2 high performing subs.. I currently “only” have 2 12” ~400 watt subs powering my system.

with regards to pics , when your uploading , you have to change size of pic.. it’s defaulted at actual size but you have to resize it to medium or large.. whatever works.. I usually pick large..

also if you can, get a high quality video in..

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
What does everyone think of this Hsu research sub vs a Gotham v2? I’m thinking about biting the bullet and buying two of them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does everyone think of this Hsu research sub vs a Gotham v2? I’m thinking about biting the bullet and buying two of them.

Different sub designs (ported with variable tuning vs sealed) and different value propositions. JL V2 (G213 I assume) will be smaller and shinier and way more expensive. JL is good quality, but at that price just kinda silly expensive. If you don't mind spending some money and really want high performing sealed subs I'd check out Deep Sea Sound's subs. Maybe Funk.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Congratulations!! You're able to live the American dream. The rest of us are preparing for hyperinflation.:)

With that said, JL is legit.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

A well set-up dual Hsu VTF-15h mk2 system could have potentially better sound quality than a single Gotham V2 system, even if you are talking about the G213. Dual subs can yield a much flatter room response than a single sub, and the room response is going to be the single biggest determinant of sound quality. I would go for a multi-sub system with a good way to equalize it, like say Dirac's Bass Control system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis